• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Fritz Park Movement

I'm creating this thread because the people of Irving, Tx. are tired of being ignored by the city. In Fritz park I have met people from all over America that love the course, but wish it had at least one modernizing improvement(i.e.: new baskets, larger tee pads, signs, ect.) Most notably, the lack of a back 9. By my understanding, the "Oldshcools"(park veterans), have been trying for over a decade to try and have the park converted to 18, or at least to have new baskets put in, but their attempts have been met with silence. The city of Irving, has in the last year sent 100's of millions of taxpayer dollars on improvements on parts of the city that have been improved multiple times, yearly.... honestly it's frustrating when the people of the city ask for a,at lowest, $3000 dollar upgrade of a park, that many people enjoy everyday. So if you have any input on possible improvements, complaints, recommendations, for or about Fritz park, please post.

***DISCLAIMER***
I AM NOT saying anything bad about Fritz, I love this park, i loved it before i started playing disc golf, it's my home course. I just believe it's not getting the respect it deserves. Thank you.

I've played Fritz several times. Nice pecan trees. Some look young, like at least something has been done in the park. And the grass was always mowed and the park has been clean every time.

Where would another 9 go, across the creek? I usually see people doing park stuff over there.

We were trying to get upgraded baskets and a back 9 on Fritz in '84 as well. They didn't even give it a second thought back then. Only reason I know about it was they wanted me to weld in a second set of chains on the baskets. City intervened and any alterations were forbidden unless they did it and they were not interested. I left in '87 and I see it not the same course I left, but still looks good. Hope you do better than we did way back when.

I've played Fritz several times. Nice pecan trees. Some look young, like at least something has been done in the park. And the grass was always mowed and the park has been clean every time.

Where would another 9 go, across the creek? I usually see people doing park stuff over there.

That's a good question. If you remember the location of the hole 6 pin/ hole 7 tee pad(yes on the other side of the creek) there is ample land, and the city has recently moved out several sub-par living establishments to the right of 2's fairway. About going back across the creek, they have 2 pre-built bridges (not connecting two masses of land) on the property just adjacent to the street on 7.

All I ask is that you rename the park after me. And put maybe a giant plastic statue of me in the middle. :p

Attachments

• fritz design 1.jpg
    fritz design 1.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 44
I grew up in irving and recall going to this park very often for either a stroll through the park or for soccer practice. If you need a signature or another voice, I'd be more than glad to lend a helping hand!

Paulie.... hole 12= super scary, but i like the approach you're taking, you, whether or not you planned it that way or not, better utilizing the already available space is a key point i plan on bringing to the city's attention. thanks for that course plan.

Basket on 10 is where the #2 basket used to be by the road..that isn't there anymore. :doh: Man that place has changed.

No, it was in the park. The road connected through the park. Look at the pic and you can still faintly see where the road was. The parking was about even with the foot bridge as I recall. Hole one started at the foot bridge and headed east along the creek. Two started north of it and ended with a mando dogleg to the right at the road. Three started across the road in the corner on the Mayo side, and went all the way to the other street...where the turnaround is now. That was a great hole. I have a map of it somewhere....I'll post it if I find it. Don't hold your breath though...its been close to 15 years since I saw it last.:(

Thanks. If I manage to huck out a useable idea, feel free.

Here it is with a few mods to help steer discs away from water. Except that pond in the grass. It's easy to clear.

Red dots are baskets.

Attachments

• fritz design 2.jpg
    fritz design 2.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 17
well it turns out the city council will not meet again until mid-january... super fail.... idk how much weight our new mayor is going to put on this, at least Herbert Gears' son played....

So many good threads to post this in. Since it's about Fritz though...

Lets start with this that Cgkdisc posted here
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1124437#post1124437

Cgkdisc

From the Hole Notes section of the PDGA Course Design Guidelines:

"No player throwing from the shortest (or only) tee on a hole should ever be "forced" to throw over
water that is normally greater than 18" deep (50cm). Design an alternate flight path (usually to the left) that gives player the option to not cross water. Any normally dry trenches or bodies of water under 18" deep that are regularly in play should have safe paths down and out to be able to throw and/or retrieve discs safely."

#5. How do yall play it?

Looking at the map, which is great, you could find your way around the course with that and one eye, it seems like in reality, a straight shot carries over a lot more water than the map shows.

I've lost 2 discs to that wide part of the creek. My D, and accurate D, is just a little too short to carry over the land and water in a straight shot every time.

For me, it seems tacking along the water is my safest bet. I mean, throw left and then back toward the basket.

Is there a safe path down and out to be able to throw and/or retrieve discs safely? Yeah, I can clamber and I can swim, that aint always what I'm looking to do. How deep is that part anyway?

#3 has got me too. If you hit the pecan trees along the creek, in goes your disc. That part of the creek is not wading friendly. I've taken to throwing to the left of the trees. Better accuracy will allow me to take the riskier throw to the right.

#6 is easy. Drive straight across.

Map
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_files/344/15e3baa9.jpg

just came from playing fritz for the first time. really like this course. its a great roller course and fun to play. the couple locals that were playing were super nice too. i threw a roller on hole 6 and landed about 20ft out. and a guy on hole 8 fairway yells (nice roller!!!). good times.

Latest posts