• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - 2012 Edition.

Star Shark

* Ace Member *
The Good - Broke my previous record at Chavez Ridge. Shot -5 and -6. Previous record -2.
The Bad - Took 2 bogeys in the first round.
The Ugly - Took a double in the 2nd round.

The Good - Everything other than putting
The Bad - My putting
The Ugly - My putting meltdown at a tourney this past weekend. Went from banging 50 footers on the first few, to airballing 80% of my putts the rest of the day(Didn't matter the distance).
The Uglier - Ended up shooting about 110-120 points below what my ratings usually are. Would have barely made the cash line in Rec...and I play Open normally.

Good: been playing pretty well for a person who only gets to play once a week

bad: only getting to play once a week

ugly: what my performance at tourneys will look like this year with my lack of play time.

The good- played Southern Community park (or dogwood or whatever it's called) in Chapel Hill, NC and had, overall, the best round I've ever played there. My drives were mostly accurate, I didn't hit every single tree in the park this time, my approach shots were laying up under the basket, a couple of drives left easy birdie shots. My drive on #1 (I played the back 9 first this time) was excellent. It's a wide-open, slightly downhill, 300 footer. I hardly ever get a good tee shot on that one, maybe side winds, or not warmed up yet, or just trying too hard to kill it. But I threw a Champ Roadrunner RHFH, and it was very level, turned slightly, then went into the fade and I thought it was going to hit the bottom of the pole. I ended up with about a 7 foot birdie putt, which I made (I don't take those for granted).

The bad- had a double bogie early, and a bogie late. Several shots hit the chains, or top, and bounced out. Hit a few trees (almost inevitable at that course). Still, I started the last hole 3 strokes better than I've ever done on that course. That is hole 9, par 4. about a 30-yard field goal to get out of the woods and then a whole football field with a pond on the left sideline. I missed the gap, wide left, and hit a tree hard.

The ugly- My lie wasn't that bad, except for a small tree directly in front of me. I tried a backhand with a vulcan, and subconsciously gave it some hyzer, trying to avoid the sapling. It faded hard to the left, and seemed to be heading for the pond. I'm still not sure where it is. There are tall weeds and some brush around the pond, and it was dusk. I looked for a few minutes, gave up and decided to abandon the last hole, and headed for my car. I promptly stepped in dog shit.

The good - Came in second in my division in the annual "Easter competition" in Oulu, won a Weed Warlock in the raffle, and after that I won a 240 euro Powergrip gift card, which we split three ways with turso and Varsi. And we got 4 tester discs on top of that, too.

The bad - Messed up a lot in the first round, taking a 7 on a par 5, an 8 on a par 6, and a 9 on another par 6 (temp course with pretty darn long holes). Managed to cover almost all of those mistakes in the second round though.

The ugly - My putting, as always. Thankfully my approach game was ON so I rarely needed to put from over 6 meters. EDIT: That, and the dog shit that littered the place. I'd approximate around 150 piles for every 100 meters, on tees, on the fairways, off the fairways, around the baskets...

The Good - First league night last night. A pile of new plastic arrived yesterday afternoon. :D

The Bad - Couldn't resist throwing some new plastic in the bag for league night. Got a few great throws with them but missed some easssssy putts because of it too.

The Ugly - My mental game is shit. All that runs through my head is all of the times I've missed similar putts.

logjammin said:
The good- played Southern Community park (or dogwood or whatever it's called) in Chapel Hill, NC and had, overall, the best round I've ever played there. My drives were mostly accurate, I didn't hit every single tree in the park this time, my approach shots were laying up under the basket, a couple of drives left easy birdie shots. My drive on #1 (I played the back 9 first this time) was excellent. It's a wide-open, slightly downhill, 300 footer. I hardly ever get a good tee shot on that one, maybe side winds, or not warmed up yet, or just trying too hard to kill it. But I threw a Champ Roadrunner RHFH, and it was very level, turned slightly, then went into the fade and I thought it was going to hit the bottom of the pole. I ended up with about a 7 foot birdie putt, which I made (I don't take those for granted).

The bad- had a double bogie early, and a bogie late. Several shots hit the chains, or top, and bounced out. Hit a few trees (almost inevitable at that course). Still, I started the last hole 3 strokes better than I've ever done on that course. That is hole 9, par 4. about a 30-yard field goal to get out of the woods and then a whole football field with a pond on the left sideline. I missed the gap, wide left, and hit a tree hard.

The ugly- My lie wasn't that bad, except for a small tree directly in front of me. I tried a backhand with a vulcan, and subconsciously gave it some hyzer, trying to avoid the sapling. It faded hard to the left, and seemed to be heading for the pond. I'm still not sure where it is. There are tall weeds and some brush around the pond, and it was dusk. I looked for a few minutes, gave up and decided to abandon the last hole, and headed for my car. I promptly stepped in dog shit.

Hey I played out there like a week and a half ago for the first time in a while. The teepads are nice and some of the alt pins look like they could be fun. Holes 15-18 still need a lot of work but overall that course has really improved (and gotten easier, I think I shot like 7 strokes better than I did last summer out there) since they have cleaned up some fairways and trimmed up some trees in the rough.

Was 9 still in the short pin close to the pond? If so, that hole is actually only a par 3 in that location since it reduces the distance from about 420' to 350' or so.

good: took 6th to get my first open cash(out of 31). avg about 990 golf.

bad: missed 7 putts inside 10-15ft that were chains/cage and out. I know I made up for it with other big putts, but it hurts to know that if I had made those I would be sitting in second with a lot more cash in my pocket

ugly: my transmission slipped and crapped out on the drive back. spent the money I won on a tow truck

The good- Played doubles league last night to try and have fun playing again at the toughest course in peoria. Parked 3 holes I have never dueced. If you know Mcnaughton in Peoria then you'll know 13, 14, and 16.

The bad- Posted a dnf in my first multi day tourny.

The ugly- my mental game, too much pressure on myself makes it not fun, not fun makes me play like shit, me playing like shit (dfl after first round) leads to not showing up second day

I forgot BEST..... 9 baskets (more later) going in on Friday at a new course here in town! STOKED!

Frank Delicious said:
Hey I played out there like a week and a half ago for the first time in a while. The teepads are nice and some of the alt pins look like they could be fun. Holes 15-18 still need a lot of work but overall that course has really improved (and gotten easier, I think I shot like 7 strokes better than I did last summer out there) since they have cleaned up some fairways and trimmed up some trees in the rough.

Was 9 still in the short pin close to the pond? If so, that hole is actually only a par 3 in that location since it reduces the distance from about 420' to 350' or so.
I think 9 was in the short position then. I just go by the par that's posted.

They are moving a lot of stuff around lately. Chopping a lot of brush too.

There's an unbelievable amount of poison ivy growing there now.

yeah the poison ivy and poison oak out there is crazy. They really need to get a couple of gallons of round up out there.

Good played doubles at Tali Open with akuf on Thursday. Finished. Made one nice patent pending long range putt. I wasn't a total drag scoring at least two birdies possibly a third don't recall but it was a 21 hole course.

Bad only one longer made putt and missed opportunies aplenty. I should have utilized my experience more and not take tactics advice from others on a bad day. Almost rolled my ankle and it hurt for two days.

Ugly maan i'm like Climo not functioning well at low temperatures. The oil i used to try to get moisture into my skin and thus tackiness up to normal level just does not work. I had horrible slip all the time unless i spat on my fingers and rubbed dirt. Too bad suitable dirt wasn't around in most places. Rarely have so many and so dire result giving slips been seen in one round :roll: As a result i moved more and more toward my rain discs meaning tacky ones and that left holes in the disc setup. I ended up using my Trak most outside putting. On a windy day. For midrange and driver shots argh! My goto discs of last year Beasts flipped each time and i could not put enough compensatory angle to make the Beasts fly like i wanted them to so eventually i used them less and less. I threw my new 155 Bliz Boss wrestled nose down i think into a headwind on a long hole (for me) after akuf drilled a bush short with obstacles between the green and the place where akuf was. I was thinking my shot turned out right at first. Then the bugger just kept on penetrating low more and more aaaandd theeen sooomeeeeeee. Eventually the disc hit a bush too far without fading like i had expected based on regular discs and the headwind. The bush was less to the liking of akuf so we picked his lie and of course my Sole slipped out. Rubber. Slipping. Out. Joy... On another hole my Star Coyote slipped out and left us a long putt. Based on where it was a normal shot would have been very close to the basket. And so on and so forth.

The really ugly i'm afraid. I tried to do the announcing on the video of the singles competition live needing to whisper in many cases so that i wouldn't disturb the players. I'm afraid the low signal to noise ratio means a lot of fixing for the editor if there's anything salvageable there. Lots of poor and tough to understand humor there. Sorry beforehand. I started the final round with somewhat poor mood due to a debacle i witnessed unfortunately. I soo wish i wasn't a part in it because that mess may turn superlatively ugly and make future projects more difficult to pull off if anyone even wants me behind a camera any more. Yep lots of manure got distributed today and i don't know what kind of seeds were sown. One thing is certain at least one person will be hurt. Possibly more and how hard depends. Why do i end up in the middle of rules issues? And Swedes each time so far.

Good: Heading to my home course (Druid Hill Park DGC) to move all of the baskets to short "A" positions then try to shoot a new personal best

Bad: Gotta work at five so I can't hang out all day.

Ugly: Eventually I'll find another full time job and won't be able to golf nearly as much.

Good played a rec round with Ville Piippo at Tali, Helsinki, Finland. Won on a couple of holes. I thought to push on the final hole a place where i've never pushed before and thus got my first birdie for that hole.

Bad: You know who won. The reason i pushed on the final hole was because i had no birdies on that round. I think i had three attempts before that and each time i putted to metal but out. All sorts of old troubles eating away my form. Like being too out of shape and not rested after work yesterday to be able to push hard enough with the left leg to even turn close enough to the target to throw the disc in the proper direction> left misses. So i had to either sneak and arm alone disc far away from the body approach or run fast to turn toward the proper direction with the momentum alone.

Ugly: Needing to save with sidearms. No joy with my arm and the results were horrible. I pushed on hole 2 with a loaner Max from Ville and it didn't FH roll like i thought it would> triple bogey :-( My lack of leg power. Hips twisting on stand stills when i wanted to throw for accuracy with the arm alone on approaches. Hips not twisting during drives. Mud on sole=sliding on the tee of 12 hitting first available then throwing the second shot my leg fell to a small hole twisting my knee. I think i got away with a scare though but tomorrow will tell. I found out grip pressure issues with early slips at times so i tightened up my grip early and harder than normal leading to a new phenomenon for me. Now i can easily grip lock a light disc repeatedly. Usually my problem is not being to hold onto a disc because of my silly slick skin. Blizzard Boss 155 has for the first time in years throwing light discs led to a problem with too much grip leading to grip locked right misses. It does not mean that i can avoid early slips all the time with regular discs. Naturally... :roll: The good thing seems to be that i don't lose that much speed and D with more grip pre tension than before like i did earlier. So maybe i'm gaining strength or healing or i'm totally off base.

I'm still between discs because my blue 172 STD didn't fly flat released flat so it would seem that i may not own a little fading distance driver that does not flip on me in the wind. I'm afraid that the high PLH STD 172 flips in calm weather too but there's none of that around. My P PD 175 flips in the wind too so i didn't carry it and i think i should have even though it fades too much for most holes released flat, which is my preferred shot.

I bought a bogus 169 TP Northman. Silly flips can't recommend it. Dunno about the PLH without comparing to my lighter VIP that flips only a little in headwinds and often doesn't at all in calm weather. And when it does it is probably more me than the disc or a freak good pull. A 164 VIP. It would seem that i'll lose more money in search of a non flipping low LSS long driver. The Northman ain't the longest disc but i'll take reliability any day first so i'll get poorer because i think i must try a 175 VIP too for windier days. I got barely passable results with my 164 in the wind. The added 9 grams of a heavy Northman should come in handy for peace of mind and better flight.

The good: I survived my first TD duty at SELL Student Games 2012. It is an international multisport (14 this year) university student sports event hosted by Finland, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania in different years since 1928. 14 players out of whom 3 were ladies. Only Finns in attendance University of Tampere claiming all of the medals except silver in men for an Aalto University student.

The bad: I didn't get to play in the two days of the event.

The ugly: My back. Dunno if the upcoming forced rest makes things better or worse for the back. Usually moving is good for the back but i'll be operated so i may not be able to move much at all.

Good: Had a pretty nice past week with two aces and some really nice shots, as well as some solid stretches of putting.

Bad: Played my first PDGA of the year today and shot horribly.

Ugly: My 2nd round. I took 4s on 9 of 18 holes. The course is not particularly long.

The Good: While practicing driving at a local park last night I throw an XL dead straight about 300ft.

The Bad: At the end of the 300 ft drive my disc connected with the headlight of a truck who ran a stopsign and was speeding through town.

The Ugly: The the truck stopped, the passenger got out looked at the damage of her truck and yelled to us "You ain't gettin' your frisbee back you sons of bitches" then got in her truck and sped away.

The Good: Got my first deuce in our weekly on a 450' flat hole on my home course. Put my drive to almost 430' on a perfect line to the basket, and sank the 23' putt. I was the only one to deuce it that day. :)

The Bad: On the final hole I pulled my throw a bit too much to the right and my last worn Roc glided all the way into the murky depths of a pond. Now I have no straight Rocs left :( (Good thing I have Comets, but it's just not quite the same..)

The Ugly: After the round some guys were throwing the Optimizer, and I wanted to demonstrate how to throw a disc like that by using extreme hyzer, trying to pull it as close to vertical as I could. The throw was good, but I pulled a muscle in my back and now it hurts too much to play :(

Good: I played DG this weekend during great weather.

Bad: Left my RR comet on a teepad and walked back two minutes later and it was gone, no one seemed to know where it went. Sucks bad.

Ugly: Tried playing through a strained lat muscle and could barely play after the first round. Could barely putt today and missed a bunch of inside the circle putts due to the putting motion being super painful. Time to take a bunch of time off before worlds.

Latest posts