• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2021 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Given tour series discs seem to sell out almost immediately I doubt any synchronicity was necessary. Didn't Ezra's sell out within the hour?

Just under 30 mins. My guess is probably 500-1000. I was able to pick one up.

I've never seen tour discs being sold for players that weren't announced they were on the team. ;)

Yes, but I doubt the delay was Ezra not having produced an announcement video, the delay seems likely to be that the discs weren't ready. Having said that there was probably more clamour given how long the announcement was teased.

Yes, but I doubt the delay was Ezra not having produced an announcement video, the delay seems likely to be that the discs weren't ready.

We were already in agreement earlier. ;) lol..

Obviously Ezra's delay was timing the release with the availability of sig/touring discs. So probably a similar situation with Conrad.

Still crazy to think how much money Discraft seems to be throwing around the past couple of years. Will this period go down as the biggest move(s) ever taken by a sponsor? :popcorn:

Given tour series discs seem to sell out almost immediately I doubt any synchronicity was necessary. Didn't Ezra's sell out within the hour?

I'm sure it makes it a bit more exciting to be able to announce it all at the same time.

Though by spreading them out a week I guess you could sustain the press for a bit longer. Of course you can always run more discs as needed if they are selling big time.

I'm sure it makes it a bit more exciting to be able to announce it all at the same time.

Though by spreading them out a week I guess you could sustain the press for a bit longer. Of course you can always run more discs as needed if they are selling big time.

You'd definitely think this was possible but it appears that manufacturing capacity is medium-term limited and every possible disc that could be being manufactured is being manufactured at the moment.

We were already in agreement earlier. ;) lol..

Still crazy to think how much money Discraft seems to be throwing around the past couple of years. Will this period go down as the biggest move(s) ever taken by a sponsor? :popcorn:

Quite possibly, though you can't rule out Prodigy having a renewed focus. They started out with that stacked pro team debut, and after many comings and goings now have a renewed lineup that includes an FPO world champion, and current US and Pro Tour champion and distribution in Europe and I would imagine Canadian numbers will go up with Gilbert signed. Discraft seemed like it was going to blow up a decade ago, they had been a steady number 2 to Innova and Doss and McCabe were killing it along with Paige, but selling more to clubs than retailers hurt them, you could go to hardware stores and get Innova, but places like Play it Again would end up marking down the stuff and clearing it out like when the Trilogy stuff started popping up. The steps they have taken the last couple of years, if not the biggest move certainly helped.

Sounds like Robert McCall's leaving DD. I'm not willing to sure through one of their podcasts to find out why.

On his Facebook, he said that he and his wife wanted to be closer to family in Texas, and he accepted a job near Austin to give him that chance.

"I will also be giving up my sponsorship with Team Dynamic Discs. Over the last little while, disc golf has taken a back seat for me, especially on the competitive side. "

He didn't play any tournaments in 2020, but he is registered to play the Waco open in March. He's a solid 1000 rated player. Should we consider this as "Robert McCall leaves DD"?

"I will also be giving up my sponsorship with Team Dynamic Discs. Over the last little while, disc golf has taken a back seat for me, especially on the competitive side. "

He didn't play any tournaments in 2020, but he is registered to play the Waco open in March. He's a solid 1000 rated player. Should we consider this as "Robert McCall leaves DD"?

I watched the last two pod casts. Everything points to strictly personal decisions for the change. He wants to be close to family with their new born. I can't imagine he'll be seeking a sponsorship from another company.

Who knows, assuming he ends up there they may do multiples for him, they manufacture for 3 companies, he could do one each with MVP, Axiom, and Streamline.

They own/control three of the brands for which they manufacture. They manufacture for more than just themselves though.

Asked this before but wouldnt Ion make most sense for Conrad sig disc as it resembles Aviar form and flight?
Tacky hard electron Conrad Ions could be cool

You'd definitely think this was possible but it appears that manufacturing capacity is medium-term limited and every possible disc that could be being manufactured is being manufactured at the moment.

Yep- everyone is making discs as fast as they can at this point. No one is catching up.