• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] The Last 2 Years Revisited

PocketSand

Par Member
Hey all! So I think this is the proper place for this thread, well a t least most of it. If not, that's my bad. :doh:

So, basically I was introduced to the sport in 2010. I was hooked instantly. I loved it. I got on here immediately and watched the world of disc golf evolve. However, I eventually got burnt out. Around the time when I graduated I just stopped following the game all together after slowly losing interest over the course of the previous few months. At that time I only had my hand on the pulse of the pro scene so to me Paul McBeth and Eric McCabe were one in the same. Also, Dynamic Discs only sold clothes and other companies discs and dies from an eBay shop. MVP only had the Ion, Anode and some mid-ranges. Maybe a fairway or two? My memory is hazy as I said I lost interest gradually.

When I came back to the sport I was re-addicted immediately. So naturally I went on over to good ol' DGCR and my brain proceeded to explode because too much disc golf knowledge was trying to cram its way into me brains!!!

.....so what I'm asking is if all of you can recommend me some discs to try out from some of the new companies or new molds that have been released since about that time. Also are there any things about these discs I need to know? (e.g. The two "types" of Amps or whateva.) I have an idea of some new discs to order but I want to see where you all think are good places to start...

tldr: I need some disc suggestions for someone who was basically living under a rock for the last 2 years.

Welcome back.

A couple questions for what to recommend: What are you currently throwing and how far are you getting them? Also, are you looking for replacements or compliments to your current discs?

Either way, one disc I recommend for everyone to try is the Axiom Envy. It's an excellent driving putter.

I've been impressed with all the Dynamic Disc offerings. I bag the Verdict, Truth and Suspect. They are also releasing 4 new molds this year.

MVP Tesla: OS workhorse driver
Axiom Envy: slightly OS driving putter I recommend the soft neutron
Axiom Crave: If you want a tbird like disc that's not actually a tbird

*puts head down and runs before the rocks are thrown*

Thanks for the sig shoutout. :D

Honestly, there isn't much new out that isn't any better than what came before it. Don't break the bank with the "newest" stuff (sorry fanboys). Most of it is a take on better molds that came before them.

However, check out JCassidy and Reptilian Disc Golf. He has put out 2 extremely good throwing putters through a partnership with Gateway. They have been the only new releases that wowed me.

Legacy's Patriot and Gauge, Reptilian Disc Golf's Scale, Axiom's Insanity, MVP's Atom, and Prodigy's H1 would be good places to start.

Honestly, there isn't much new out that isn't any better than what came before it. Don't break the bank with the "newest" stuff (sorry fanboys). Most of it is a take on better molds that came before them.

I agree with this. If you have some discs that work well for you stick with them.

I would also recommend the Axiom Envy. Fantastic putter that has been taking shots away from my midrange.

I also have been loving the Thunderbird by Innova.

However, check out JCassidy and Reptilian Disc Golf. He has put out 2 extremely good throwing putters through a partnership with Gateway. They have been the only new releases that wowed me.

:eek:

Thanks for the love Streets and TBird. That's incredible. Easily the coolest thing that I've experienced in my time of playing DG is seeing guys I respect in the community touting our discs are "must throws".

Hopefully our following releases can continue to carve out a neat little niche in the game as a brand that DGCR built. :clap:

Welcome back.

A couple questions for what to recommend: What are you currently throwing and how far are you getting them? Also, are you looking for replacements or compliments to your current discs?

Either way, one disc I recommend for everyone to try is the Axiom Envy. It's an excellent driving putter.

I'm just looking for replacements and compliments. Right now I putt with BB Aviars but I want to something lower profile like the Envy. It's one of the discs on my list to get. As is the Proxy and the Atom. My mids are Rocs. I like the new Roc3s a lot but have no ideas what's up with the VRoc 1-3 or whatever that's about and I'm pissed the ProShop is out of McPros. My drivers are TeeBirds and Leopards. The TB is great, but I'm having a hard time finding consistently-domed ones. (Surprising, I know... :| )

So basically I'm just looking for general recommendations on all types of discs for all types of shots, as I'm remodeling my bag! I have to order online, so I'm using these recommendations for the first few orders of mine.

P.S. I'm done with Innova though, as I hate all of the plastic I've felt from them (DX is waxy garbage now) and I hate hate hate that I have to go to the ProShop and spend all my moolah on stuff that should be production and won't cost me my soul to ship.

I've been impressed with all the Dynamic Disc offerings. I bag the Verdict, Truth and Suspect. They are also releasing 4 new molds this year.

Thanks! DD has been very intruiging to me but I've been reluctant as no molds from Lat64 have ever clicked with me. But I'll check those out!

MVP Tesla: OS workhorse driver
Axiom Envy: slightly OS driving putter I recommend the soft neutron
Axiom Crave: If you want a tbird like disc that's not actually a tbird

*puts head down and runs before the rocks are thrown*

Those were all discs I planned on trying out! Is the soft vs regular strictly a feel thing? Or is one more OS than the other?

No problem! It was the most truth-filled statement I've seen in a while! :D

I figured there was nothing to lose my mind over. I'm just seeing if there's anything worthwhile to try out and if some companies still have the crazy amount of hype and fanboys! (cough cough MVP cough). But I digress, because I am finding myself almost ready to jump on that MVP bandwagon! Love the consistency. But I wanted some recommendations from other manufacturers too before I went all gaga for GYRO!

I agree with this. If you have some discs that work well for you stick with them.

So there's nothing that you liked that has came out recently?

Archer vs Arrow

lol? Um... I know? And? What new arrows should I try out?

I would also recommend the Axiom Envy. Fantastic putter that has been taking shots away from my midrange.

I also have been loving the Thunderbird by Innova.

If I wasn't sure on the Envy I would be now thanks to all of you! Do you prefer N or P? I also have been liking the Thunderbird, but I'm pissed there's no Star Thunderbirds.... :(

:eek:

Thanks for the love Streets and TBird. That's incredible. Easily the coolest thing that I've experienced in my time of playing DG is seeing guys I respect in the community touting our discs are "must throws".

Hopefully our following releases can continue to carve out a neat little niche in the game as a brand that DGCR built. :clap:

Would love to see that! :clap:

If I wasn't sure on the Envy I would be now thanks to all of you! Do you prefer N or P? I also have been liking the Thunderbird, but I'm pissed there's no Star Thunderbirds.... :(

I have 2 protons in my bag right now. I didn't really see much difference in the plastics, so I went with the ones that look pretty. The Envy used to be my main circle putter but I had a few putts slide out of the chains and I also wanted something a bit less stable. I picked up a Atom to replace circle duties and have not looked back.

Envy is a great driving putter. G-star plastic from Innova has mixed reviews but I really like the teebird in it.

Claymore is a fantastic point and shoot mid from lat64.

Mvp resistor is a good overstable fairway. Axiom Crave is a great straight fairway.

Trespass us a good dd. Might have been out already? Too lazy to Google.

Welcome back to the game!

Welcome back.

There's nothing wrong with the stuff that worked before. If it ain't broke don't fix it, as they say.

The hell with conventional wisdom! But in these past couple years the choices exploded. So you'll likely to get a plethora of recommendations.

All that said, if I was to recommend just one it would be a Dynamic Discs, Truth. If you liked a Buzzz, a Truth should be an outstanding choice to give one of the new kids on the block a shot.

Verdict - Truth - Claymore.

Verdict is a better Hornet.
Truth is like a better Buzzz. you missed the roc3 or I'd compare it to that as well.
Claymore is a better Buzzz SS.

All three have very similar feeling rims, so its easy to dial in your angles for almost all of your mid work. Once you learn one, you've learned them all.

Those perform and feel a little better than older similar things to me anyway, but I like a lot of the new trilogy plastic. For the most part I dont think you've missed much.

I know you said Lat 64 didn't click with you, but the Saint Pro is a domey Teebird. The Crave is a flatter Teebird.

I would also recommend the Verdict. More OS than a Roc but not stupid OS, and very fast. One of my favorite discs out right now.

As far as consistency, yes, MVP is very consistent, but so is Discraft, just because they've been around awhile, I wouldn't drop them from your bag.

If you try a few new molds, the Scale as rec'ed is very good, the Salient Touch is a very good neautral putter. The Westside Harp is an amazing OS approach and short drive disc.