• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Temple Of ROC!!!!

The DX Roc is still the Rancho mold. In DX, I like the bottom stamps, personally. I feel the plastic wears a little better than the regular, top-stamped version (probably just placebo). Since I play in a rocky area (no pun intended), I switched to the Roc3. I was going through DX Rocs like it was nobody's business.

bjones said:
WTF did Innova do with all of this Roc stuff? I haven't bought a Roc in 4-5 years and I looked on their website and there are a bunch of Roc versions now. If I wanted a good DX Rancho Roc (like those that that were made from 2003 - 2009 or so, what are my options? Are the new DX Rocs like the ones from then?

I always took Blake's advice that if you like something, buy 20+ of them but I don't have many left. Just seeing what my options are.

Thanks,
Brandon

Brandon, DX Rocs are in the Rancho mold and have a slight plus rim (slanted rim). KC Pro has a straight rim (not plus). Roc 3 is basically a flat-top Roc with the new grippy Champ blend called "Jolly Launcher".

Personally, I love my flat Roc3 - some came with tiny bits of dome, but I found one that's absolutely flat. It doesn't have as much LSS as a new DX Rancho Roc, but it can take more torque. The flight is like a mini Teebird - straight for a good while with a solid fade that isn't too harsh. I pair it with a lightly seasoned DX Rancho (tourney stamp...plastic feels much better) and either a beat KC Pro or beat DX San Marino Roc.

In all seriousness, look at Legacy and grab some Ghosts. The Icon and Excel (like star and dx) are out now and next week the Pinnacle (champ like) will be released.

I've always liked DX over KC. I do like my rocs to wear in... Gotta have the full spectrum in stability. As of right now all of mine are a mix of DX/KC11X. When new, they always threw pretty similarly.

Do these new Rancho rocs with the slight slanted rim throw any less or more stable than the KC rocs? I may pick one up out of curiosity.

Brandon

I've had four different kinds of KCs when i used them some years ago so i don't know how they were in general or were supposed to be grr. One of them did not flip in moderate headwinds others did. I have not thrown plus rimmed Ranchos in DX if they exist. I have not looked at or thrown Rocs lately. Star flips a little. And they vary in dome height so YMMV with those too. I do not like how they change Rocs all the time so i don't use them. Atlas is nice but faster and longer for the same shot. So is Axis and Tangent in Neutron but they are slicker to hold.

Anyone throwing the McPro Roc3? I just ordered a few up just to check em out against the other Rocs. The 12x KC Pros I have are domey and not really all that stable and break in weird. Figured I would give the McPros a try. I have 11x KCs, dx ontarios, 12x KCs, older run dx that are not +mold, special blend ranchos, and the champ Roc3s, just for reference. Thrown the san marinos once or twice and just don't fill a need.

Jerbob said:
Anyone throwing the McPro Roc3? I just ordered a few up just to check em out against the other Rocs. The 12x KC Pros I have are domey and not really all that stable and break in weird. Figured I would give the McPros a try. I have 11x KCs, dx ontarios, 12x KCs, older run dx that are not +mold, special blend ranchos, and the champ Roc3s, just for reference. Thrown the san marinos once or twice and just don't fill a need.

You know they are not bad Rocs at all. They are fast and have similar stability as the KC Pro's.

I prefer just regular Rocs as I like my Rocs on the slower side,but everyone has different tastes.

Was you able to try them out yet?

The McPro Roc3s are all in the 178-180 range and all were flat with no noticeable dome. It was maybe an 85 degree day, so the flight plates were becoming a liitle soft, especially the black discs. I recently remembered that my Roc weight sweet spot is about 175-177 to get about 310-320, so recently solved my short throw problem. Anyway, all the McPro Roc3s were easily as stable or more stable than a couple of unusual 12x KC Pro's I picked up in the last year. The McPros had no high speed turn for me and handled wind well.

I have seen the flat ones but there are differently domed ones out there with reportedly the flatter ones acting the most hss. Mine is in the low end of the middle of the pack. Only because the flat ones were already picked up.

What's up fellow disc golfer's! check this deal out on Amazon.com

[<iframe style="width:120px;height:240px;" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ac&ref=tf_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=wwwanhyzerfli-20&marketplace=amazon&region=US&placement=B005TEXO7I&asins=B005TEXO7I&linkId=X6ESOFNFK3LUGMGZ&show_border=true&link_opens_in_new_window=true">
</iframe>

I'm not checking that deal... :|

I have not bought a Roc in years; I have a stash of DX Rocs from years ago I'm still sitting on. For Christmas I got a Star Rancho Roc, I'd actually never seen one before. Damn, it's got a big 'ol pop top on it. Are they all like this?

Gonna have to use the search feature and try to find the flattening trick and see if that does anything for it. I haven't had to mess with a disc dome for a long time.

Actually the last time I bought a Roc was when we ordered ZamRoc here. Mine are in the cycle piles and I put one of the old DGR ones back in the bag this week. It was a nice blast from the past.

That's shitty. Really anybody with 15 minutes of experience throwing Rocs could look at this thing and go "whoa, problem." This one you could tell with your eyes closed; it has a pop top so there is a sort of groove top feel right around where the wing ends before the big dome pops up. It also has the exaggerated +mold effect that you get on the rim of domey Rocs. How the Hell these things end up out of the factory is a mystery; this thing should have been ground up on the spot if you cared at all about selling good Rocs.

I hate flattening discs; as I recall popping a dome with the hot water trick is easier than flattening. I'll have to try it, though. As is this thing is useless.

Working Stiff said:
That's shitty.
I couldn't agree more.
Working Stiff said:
this thing should have been ground up on the spot if you cared at all about selling good Rocs.
*ahem*
Working Stiff said:
as I recall popping a dome with the hot water trick is easier than flattening. I'll have to try it, though. As is this thing is useless.
I've never had one that I have attempted stay flat for any length of time.

Yeah, the flattening experiment was a fail. I guess what I have is a brand new $18 addition to the flippy Roc pile; It can sit there with all the $7 Rocs that took years to get beat up enough to be in that pile. Really shitty. If you ask me, the name "Rancho Roc" should mean something. They should not be stamping it on a pop top piece of shit disc like this one.

Star is fairly resistant to treatment and i am afraid that even boiling water followed by rushed drying and 4 days of heavy weights on top of the disc resting upside down on top of a flat surface will not be enough. Star has good memory and will return to original shape pretty well.

I got my first dx Rancho way back when they were good. About seven discs later and many others of different variants i only got one that was almost as good and one ok. Even when i got my releases clean and consistent enough the inconsistency and letdowns in the usability of flipping when new Rocs forced me to Buzzzes. I was lucky to have two good ones to carry me over a few years of not so great Buzzz production. And welcomed the great ones that have been produced in the past few years.

And now there is the beefier Truth available. Although some say that their Truths are closer to Buzzzes than mine. Oh well. A good disc anyway if that is the case.

The Ghost and the Kaxe feel too tall for my hands and the Mace almost as much but the base plastic Mace i have fades hard so it needs a full effort when new for me and it still finishes harder than any Roc i have tried or even Glo Z or Ti Buzzzes that are the most OS variants i have tried. The same goes for the Truth. Rocs, Kaxes and Ghosts are from hearsay fairly even in the OS end of Roc stability or a little beefier than Rocs. There is a more OS variant version of the Kaxe though and i was speaking of the first straighter variant.

Thanks. I already have Ghosts in Excel and Icon as well as a Zero Hard Mace that I ordered this morning on their way from Marshall St. I have long fingers so the tallness you speak of may serve me well.