• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

ah, I remember those. I never had a chance to throw one though.

How many of you guys out there are really trying to shape lines with high speed, under stable drivers? Something like a sidewinder or a River is more feasible for me.

I can shape lines with a tern. Once my star terns season a bit, I can use them for some pretty wonky holes. It's not like a pro leo but it's surprising what a tern can accomplish.

I used to hate the star tern, then it became the disc I'd borrow from buddies for before round warm up to practice hyzerflips. Then I bought a max weight one to try to experiment with. It was an oddity that I didn't bag but I think I figured it out...

I've heard some describe it as "the comet of high speed distance drivers", and it does have some comparisons:

- not compatible with specific winds (mostly head winds) :p
- OAT sensitive as a mudda'effer
- nose angle sensitive
- arm slot sensitive
- follow through sensitive:must hold the intended shot's release angle throughout or else :mad:
- always hyzer even if you want turnover
- for best results only throw with 80% and good form.

Its a very very useful disc for me now. I use it a lot for sidearms off the tee now if its a tunnel shot that I need to hyzer flip up then fade left (I'm naturally LHBH), or long tunnel to slight turnover (350-375ft).

Its all about trusting the disc + arm slot + release angle. Similar to a beat in leopard for me.

- if I want to go straight: 40º of hyzer, 80% power, and HOLD THAT 40º arm slot angle HYZER ALL THE WAY THROUGH through follow through.
- if I want a slight turnover: same thing as above but arm slot at 20º (important to hold that release angle throughout follow through).

I'm not going to lie, the star tern is touchy as hell, but as my throwing form has gotten more consistent its been working for me lately. My favorite shot is the gusty tailwind shot though... there you can finally rip it and see its full potential.

Eh, I have a G* Tern and haven't found that sweet spot you have Doc. If it is that finicky then that's probably why.. I've thrown it in field practice a several times and have never really found a shot that works for me except for maybe a long anhyzer that holds. I was chalking it up to not having the arm for it. My max d is 350 with a Wraith. I haven't got a good flip out of it. I use or used to use a River for my tunnel flips, but I lost it yesterday at Idlewild. :( I don't get a lot of spin on my throws really though. Maybe that's my issue.

Eh, I have a G* Tern and haven't found that sweet spot you have Doc. If it is that finicky then that's probably why.. I've thrown it in field practice a several times and have never really found a shot that works for me except for maybe a long anhyzer that holds. I was chalking it up to not having the arm for it. My max d is 350 with a Wraith. I haven't got a good flip out of it. I use or used to use a River for my tunnel flips, but I lost it yesterday at Idlewild. :( I don't get a lot of spin on my throws really though. Maybe that's my issue.

Can you get other discs to turnover and hold while drifting to the right? I ask because you may have nose angle issues...not getting enough nose down. From the star/gstar Terns that I have thrown, with 350' of Wraith power you should have no issue getting a hyzer flip (some champs can be more stable though). I would look at grip alignment/nose down as a possibility.

Can you get other discs to turnover and hold while drifting to the right? I ask because you may have nose angle issues...not getting enough nose down. From the star/gstar Terns that I have thrown, with 350' of Wraith power you should have no issue getting a hyzer flip (some champs can be more stable though). I would look at grip alignment/nose down as a possibility.

Well I can get a Leopard to flip, turn and hold. Not really a higher speed like a champ Sidewinder. My flips probably just need more work. I tend to not arch over my feet enough sometimes. I'll keep an eye on the nose angle once I give it another try. Thanks.

Well I can get a Leopard to flip, turn and hold. Not really a higher speed like a champ Sidewinder. My flips probably just need more work. I tend to not arch over my feet enough sometimes. I'll keep an eye on the nose angle once I give it another try. Thanks.

Ok that's good then. It's likely arm speed rather than nose angle. Champ Sidewinders can be surprisingly more stable than the other plastics (I was throwing one which would only drift to the right and then mellow fade for ~350', where I have thrown stars on hyzer flip turnovers 400'). Keep the nose angle in mind, but it may be arm speed like you are saying if that's the case. Still a 350' shot with a Wraith should have good enough speed to translate to the Tern, unless you are flexing the Wraith out for that distance.

My max d lines are pretty much straight pulls. Not hyzers. Tracks a little right most of the way, steadily rises, and then fades out. Not a big arching S turn I get from my Orc when thrown anhyzer higher into the air for a S path. That's what you mean by flex right?

Last edited:
My max d lines are pretty much straight pulls. Not hyzers. Tracks a little right most of the way, steadily rises, and then fades out. Not a big arching S turn I get from my Orc when thrown anhyzer higher into the air for a S path. That's what you mean by flex right?

Yeah exactly. By flex shot I'm meaning releasing with anhyzer so the whole flight it tracks from left to right, with a slow fade fighting out near the end of the flight. Whereas a flat/slight hyzer pull will allow the disc to turn over and then track right before fading...relying more on power rather than manipulating an overstable disc. Both are good shots to have, but it's easier to relate arm speed by how far you can line drive/hyzer flip a disc rather than flex something out.

i got 2 mint star terns if anyone wants to buy/trade. too pretty to have ever thrown em. one worlds, one tourney stamp.

I've thrown a champ and star tern back to back only once, and it was too much disc for my arm. The flight is nice for those who can throw em though.

Recently also grabbed a star tern that is -3 hss. Flight is more comparable to a champ than my older stars

I also saw the new star terns out. Funny thing though, it came on the same shipment as an older -4 marked one. I really hope these numbers reflect reality b/c I would love a star tern that is a bit closer to the champ versions.

Last edited:
just tried a gummy champ tern. its near max weight 174g and its definitely a different disc compared to star and Jolly Launcher terns.

it really does have more turn out of the box compared to the JL, but it has the same LSS or bigger fade of the JL.... its kind of like how an eagle compares to a teebird.

on initial thought I was excited because you can really shape some lines with it, but then again, I don't really want any more lateral movement. I don't know if this will kick out my star terns... I'm just really confused right now... lol

The gummy Terns are interesting but IMO a little unpredictable. I've thrown my longest drives ever with them but get the angle wrong and they go just as far in the wrong direction. They lose the fade pretty quick but also lose some HSS so watch out. The plastic feels good though.

its usually a CFR (so expect a tourney or x-out/factory second stamp) disc that has a specific descriptive sticker on it... like FLAT TOP ROC...

and well just like its description.. its very gummy.

19313664348_d7728720c6_z.jpg

19495005512_9927e955c6_z.jpg

I have x out gummies. One is about the same dome as a JL and throws almost the same. The other two are pretty flat and do like you guys have experienced. I have come to prefer the JLs because they all fly about the same for me.

I found a 168 Star at our Academy mixed in with other misplaced discs. I don't know if that's the last one they had or if more will trickle in.

I found a 168 Star at our Academy mixed in with other misplaced discs. I don't know if that's the last one they had or if more will trickle in.
I found a 168 star as well. They had them marked down to 7.99 along with the star avair. Not many left, obviously.

Latest posts