• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

No no no no no. Innova CHANGED the Star Tern ratings to a turn of -3 after getting feedback that Star Terns were and are not -4 turn. The turn rating of the Star Tern is -3 now.

And I've thrown all three plastics, as well as a Starlite Tern. Champs > Star > GStar is my own experience there.

Also, since the introduction of GStar, the collective experience has been that GStar is generally more understable than Star (and both Star and GStar are less stable/overstable than Champ.

So slowplastic is correct.

Yes we know. I said "was" though.

I've thrown a lot of terns and stars are usually the most understable. Gummy champs are pretty bad too.

Went to Academy the other day after calling to see if they had any champs in (since it is about 30 minutes away). They had 7 left and I asked them to set them aside for me when told they were $3.50 each. Bought 4 but the others were super dark, almost black, purple. Now I have plenty for a while, as long as I don't keep throwing my laser straight ones into trees when attempting a huge hyzer for no reason other than to see what would happen. Myself and about 8 other people spent about a half hour throwing baseballs and sticks of various size at it, but it was just too high up to have enough velocity on anything to get it down.

Last edited:
I have two pro destroyers. Nice high plh and domey. I intended them to replace the flippy one eventually just not so soon. Ill just hit some trees with it outback a bunch.

Actually rather not switch molds up, but ill scoop up a star tern to practice with on the cheap sometime. Also will keep my eye out for g star destroyer to try.

Mostly i ask because say in the middle of a tourny i lose my beat pro and need a replacement for the second round.

I have time before my next tournment to wack some trees and test it so i dont go overboard and ruin a fresh destroyer.

Tried out a 165 F2 Gstar Tern today and loved it. Identical flight to my JL champs and close to my 161 Starlite as well. Just a long forgiving disc with so many possible lines. Tern is consistently my longest disc, and I really enjoyed throwing the GStar. I can't say that about every GStar I've thrown.

Just a heads up Marshall Street has some amazing prices on X-Out champ and Glow champ terns. They even have pink color glow champ (like sexton firebird) terns, and also starlite tern x-outs.

I got some of those regular champ x-outs and they are actually a bit more overstable than what I'm used to from max weight champion terns.

I have some color glow terns ordered and am excited to see if they really will be more overstable.

Right now I'm in a weird place where I throw max weight champ terns and max weight star destroyers but for some reason I don't really throw both during a given round... I'll just go with one per course and deal with the tern's understability (by hyzering/hyzerflipping and throwing smooth at max 80% power) or the star destroyer's overstability (by throwing flat with straight posture and killing it full strength).

One thing I do have to admit is that I go through max weight champ terns quickly, by either losing them (because they go so far and get squirrelly) or they get too understable quick (I play in heavily wooded/rocky fairway courses). I never buy them at retail now, only cheap x-outs for me. Luckily champion terns at max weight have been incredibly consistent this year.

I don't see the color glow. They must have sold out.

It's kind of hidden. They are listed X out under the regular glow. So search tern and glow. You'll see pink CFR glow listed in the drop down menu along with normal glows. Still some available for $11.69

Man, if i didn't have a stack of unthrown champs that I got for $4 each, I would be all over these, especially those glows. Have to save my money for a Ridge Roller.

I'm thinking about getting a Tern and I'm wondering about the most understable variant. A friend of mine has a 155g Starlite and for me with my noodle arm (about 330ft max with a Roadrunner) I'm able to flip the starlite a few degrees to flat, maybe 10 degrees. After the flip up it flies very straight and super far, easily as long as my Roadrunner. I don't like bubble plastic tho, so I'm definitely not going to get a starlite. Which of the other plastics flies most similar to the starlite? Some say that the Star is the most understable while others say that the gstar is the most understable. I'm confused. Can somebody break down the difference in flight between the various plastic types, especially compared to starlite. Will a non starlite tern be too OS for a noodle, or will I be able to get straight flights out of them?

Last edited:
Can't help with the scientific s like degrees but I carry a Champ and Star both around 167 and the star is most definitely more US, satisfyingly so. Not thrown any Terns in other plastic.

There is a fairly large variance between Champ and Star Terns as far as stability so try the Star and break it in. A good bit less stable than the Champ. It may "tern" out to be just what you are looking for. Get one in the 160's.

There is a fairly large variance between Champ and Star Terns as far as stability so try the Star and break it in. A good bit less stable than the Champ. It may "tern" out to be just what you are looking for. Get one in the 160's.

One can also try the Echostar Tern. Feels like good firm Star plastic, behaves like good Star plastic. I'm looking for a Star Tern about 158-162g and NOT dark red.

Just added a Starlite at 159. Saw it in a store and couldn't not grab it. It has replaced my regular Star at 163 for down wind distance. Longer and less flippy for me. Loving it.

I've tried champ, GStar, and StartLite and I listed them from most stable to least stable. The 159g StarLite Christmas Tern I got was flippy out of the envelope and great for tailwinds.

One can also try the Echostar Tern. Feels like good firm Star plastic, behaves like good Star plastic. I'm looking for a Star Tern about 158-162g and NOT dark red.

As a fellow noodle, how would you describe the flight pattern you're getting out of the Tern

According to Innova website Star Terns are only available between 165 - 175g. You will have to get a 159g StarLite to fit your weight requirement.

Latest posts