• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

As a fellow noodle, how would you describe the flight pattern you're getting out of the Tern

On my RHBH throw, I get a bit of turn to the right, then a fade back. Not a huge fade, but some.

I threw it into the wind yesterday and got a very straight flight and a harder fade, kind of like what my Krait does on a calmer day.

I've also put a slight bit of anny on it to see if it'll flex out. It usually rides the anny pretty solidly to the right without much (if any) fade back.

I'm thinking about getting a Tern and I'm wondering about the most understable variant. A friend of mine has a 155g Starlite and for me with my noodle arm (about 330ft max with a Roadrunner) I'm able to flip the starlite a few degrees to flat, maybe 10 degrees. After the flip up it flies very straight and super far, easily as long as my Roadrunner. I don't like bubble plastic tho, so I'm definitely not going to get a starlite. Which of the other plastics flies most similar to the starlite? Some say that the Star is the most understable while others say that the gstar is the most understable. I'm confused. Can somebody break down the difference in flight between the various plastic types, especially compared to starlite. Will a non starlite tern be too OS for a noodle, or will I be able to get straight flights out of them?

Starlite is a fantastic plastic, nothing like the bubble-filled blizzard variety. It seriously feels and behaves like Star but just in a lower weight. I highly recommend it.

I'm thinking about getting a Tern and I'm wondering about the most understable variant. A friend of mine has a 155g Starlite and for me with my noodle arm (about 330ft max with a Roadrunner) I'm able to flip the starlite a few degrees to flat, maybe 10 degrees. After the flip up it flies very straight and super far, easily as long as my Roadrunner. I don't like bubble plastic tho, so I'm definitely not going to get a starlite. Which of the other plastics flies most similar to the starlite? Some say that the Star is the most understable while others say that the gstar is the most understable. I'm confused. Can somebody break down the difference in flight between the various plastic types, especially compared to starlite. Will a non starlite tern be too OS for a noodle, or will I be able to get straight flights out of them?

I have not thrown starlight, but in my (not huge) experience with Terns Champ is most stable (quite straight with wiggle), then star flies a good distance line from a hyzer flip to turnover with some fade back, and then Gstar was less stable and really turned over. Gstar is likely your best bet of the normal weight Terns, but I have only thrown 1-2 of those.

Starlite is a fantastic plastic, nothing like the bubble-filled blizzard variety. It seriously feels and behaves like Star but just in a lower weight. I highly recommend it.

I must respectfully but at least partially disagree with you.

I have three molds in Starlite: Boss, Valkyrie, and Tern. The Starlite Valkryie feels like Star plastic and the Starlite Valk flies pretty much like a Valk. I don't get a lot more distance despite the lighter weight, though.

The Starlite Boss also feels like Star plastic, but feels a little "thin" and weird. The Starlite Boss is the disc I can throw further than any other disc... but it's too flippy, touchy and unpredictable... and I could never get consistent with it. And in a headwind? Sheesh, I'd rather throw an Orbital... but I digress...

The Starlite Tern, however, is bad. At least mine is. The plastic does not feel like Star, but more like degrading Pro plastic. It also is very inconsistent in its flight, and my Star and Echostar Terns get considerably more distance than the Starlite Tern... and that's from today's tests at the course.

My Starlite Tern is pink, so I was throwing it during October "Save the Ta Tas" month. I hated it then and stopped throwing it... actually went to my pink Lucid Freedom for my long range driving (!) (and that is saying something, there...).

So I may give away my Starlite Tern to an unsuspecting newbie or my five year old nephew. It's back to Star and Echostar Terns for me. Still looking for and manifesting a E* Tern at about 158g that is NOT dark red in color....

I must respectfully but at least partially disagree with you.

I have three molds in Starlite: Boss, Valkyrie, and Tern. The Starlite Valkryie feels like Star plastic and the Starlite Valk flies pretty much like a Valk. I don't get a lot more distance despite the lighter weight, though.

The Starlite Boss also feels like Star plastic, but feels a little "thin" and weird. The Starlite Boss is the disc I can throw further than any other disc... but it's too flippy, touchy and unpredictable... and I could never get consistent with it. And in a headwind? Sheesh, I'd rather throw an Orbital... but I digress...

The Starlite Tern, however, is bad. At least mine is. The plastic does not feel like Star, but more like degrading Pro plastic. It also is very inconsistent in its flight, and my Star and Echostar Terns get considerably more distance than the Starlite Tern... and that's from today's tests at the course.

My Starlite Tern is pink, so I was throwing it during October "Save the Ta Tas" month. I hated it then and stopped throwing it... actually went to my pink Lucid Freedom for my long range driving (!) (and that is saying something, there...).

So I may give away my Starlite Tern to an unsuspecting newbie or my five year old nephew. It's back to Star and Echostar Terns for me. Still looking for and manifesting a E* Tern at about 158g that is NOT dark red in color....

That is very interesting. I should point out that I've only thrown Starlite Teebirds. They've all thrown and beat in like normal Star 'birds.

Anyways, sorry for the tangent. Back to the Turn....

Terns are great

MF Terns are the beefiest/most stable out of all the plastics...

I love to throw huge effortless gliding hyzer-bombs with them. I can usually hyzer over tall trees much easier with this disc.

and I've been throwing flip up/over bombs with the star tern for a while, now I'm working on my backhand roller game..

In my experience a star "tiki" tern from worlds will fly the same as a stock star, yes...given that they are the same weight, stiffness, and dome.

Stiff and domey Champ Terns seem to be the most stable at least from my experience. Sadly since the original run, all I have been seeing are fairly flat ones that fly very understable. If anyone has any beefy tern's I would be happy to buy or trade from them send me a PM.

It's still all about the done. I have glow terns that are flippy and flat.
Yep, I have a batch of glows including a colored pink one which are all flat and flippy except the one domey one that is straight as an arrow. Same goes with metal flakes.

yeah the color glow ones I got were all on the flippy side.

there was a batch of x-out/quadruple stamp champs from marshalls street that I bought about 5 of that were overstable (or like a very seasoned glide-y star destroyer) that I stupidly only kept one and sold the rest to my buddies. :doh:

my buddies are all star destroyer throwers, loved them, and all ended up asking if I had more, oh man I wish I just kept them and bought like 10 of them because it was their black friday sale and were all under $10 :mad:

Crap. That's what I like and I was thinking about grabbing some of those. I just didn't want to get stuck with the flippy ones.

Crap. That's what I like and I was thinking about grabbing some of those. I just didn't want to get stuck with the flippy ones.

the only other magical Tern I have is a 1st run that was given to me by my mentor/innova sponsored buddy.... its too scary to throw though. because its freaking clear....

18061466495_d608626bdc_z.jpg

^its only for open hole duties.

the first run champ terns/proto champ terns are weird because they're gummy but still have that overstable fight/hook up, so you can rip them flat and they'll start to turn and even look like they are turning over but will fight back and fade/hyzer to flat and hook up and finish with forward fade... the typical magical turn distance flight.

what seems different, and others have observed it, is that the 1st run champ/proto terns seem to be faster , like speed 13 boss, or if you've seen a discmania PD2 properly thrown by a huge arm... the disc just is so fast... current run terns are quick as well but seem to glide more the rocket forward.

for some reason the only time I've gotten to that 400+ft distance throw is during tournaments (where my cardmates informed me that I hit the landmarks of a over 400ft throw on flat land on certain holes... with that 1st run champ tern.... I can't really do it in practice much, but during tourneys I can bust them out of out sheer anxiety/nervousness off the tee.

Last edited:
Disc 'speed' relates to a velocity requirement to fly as intended. Discs fly exactly as fast as you release them, which has nothing to do with it's listed 'speed'.

More on topic; I've never seen a flat Tern. I'll keep an eye out.

I have a domey metal flake that is more understable than my relatively flat glow champ. It is all about plh, b/c the metal flake has significantly lower plh than the glow.

I have also given up trying to find relatively overstable Terns. I have one or two the is more overstable than the others, but for that shot it is easier to buy something like a Pro Destroyer or my personal choice, a Bio Trespass. I know what to expect from most off the shelf Champ Terns (if I end up with one that is more stable, that is great), and if I need something more I step up the disc with a less stable plastic an am more confident that I will get what I need without wasting money.

Latest posts