• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

yeah the color glow ones I got were all on the flippy side.

there was a batch of x-out/quadruple stamp champs from marshalls street that I bought about 5 of that were overstable (or like a very seasoned glide-y star destroyer) that I stupidly only kept one and sold the rest to my buddies. :doh:

my buddies are all star destroyer throwers, loved them, and all ended up asking if I had more, oh man I wish I just kept them and bought like 10 of them because it was their black friday sale and were all under $10 :mad:
Like this?

-1163677327146712831_1.jpg

The ones left are super heavy.

They had color glows in slightly lighter weights for the BF sale, I should've grabbed some but didn't.

Stiff and domey Champ Terns seem to be the most stable at least from my experience. Sadly since the original run, all I have been seeing are fairly flat ones that fly very understable. If anyone has any beefy tern's I would be happy to buy or trade from them send me a PM.

I don't know if they are all like this but my factory dyed champ Tern is stiff and has a decent dome. It looks like it started out clear with some white in the wing.

I dunno if I got a good one but the only color glow I have is a pink. It has a higher PLH than my other terns, and is flatter.

I dunno if I got a good one but the only color glow I have is a pink. It has a higher PLH than my other terns, and is flatter.

I think it all depends on the plh. Domey and stiff may more likely have a high plh, but this is not iron clad. Same thing happens with Destroyers too. It is a crap shoot to a certain degree, although certain bets have better odds than others.

Like this?

-1163677327146712831_1.jpg

The ones left are super heavy.

^those color glow x-outs I got from marshalls street were flippy :(

the double stamped (and some were quadruple stamped) jolly launcher x-out ones I got from marshalls street are overstable (like seasoned star destroyer overstable). they were stiffer, actually a little flatter, and probably had higher PLH (because of the double/quadruple stamps flattening and raising up the PLH multiple times under the machine).

XGU72dAl.jpg

^ i only kept one. I really really wish I didn't sell them off to my buddies... they were so damn cheap (like under $8.00 with the black friday sale). still at least they have awesome terns. there are some tunnel shots they they use them on now instead of their seasoned star destroyers, just throw at 80% with a little hyzer, and trust it to flip up and go for 375ft then have it hook up in the end....

There really isn't anything special about them but how about the happy holidays Gstar Terns. For some reason they are all 159.

the double stamped (and some were quadruple stamped) jolly launcher x-out ones I got from marshalls street are overstable (like seasoned star destroyer overstable). they were stiffer, actually a little flatter, and probably had higher PLH (because of the double/quadruple stamps flattening and raising up the PLH multiple times under the machine).

Would the stamping process actually raise the plh if the disc has already cooled? I know it would flatten out the dome but I was under the impression that was all (other wise, intentionally flat topped rocs would be more overstable than domey ones, which I thought was not the case). There would have to be considerable pull toward the middle of the disc to pull the plh up, but I guess if the stamping process made the entire disc much warmer, then it could make more sence (never been around a hot stamped disc so I do not know).

There really isn't anything special about them but how about the happy holidays Gstar Terns. For some reason they are all 159.

I got one. If feels real soft, is very flexible, and is really flippy. Thrown at ~ 80% with some hyzer it'll turn over and glide for a while before fading out. Just don't try throwing them in any wind other than a tail wind.

Would the stamping process actually raise the plh if the disc has already cooled? I know it would flatten out the dome but I was under the impression that was all (other wise, intentionally flat topped rocs would be more overstable than domey ones, which I thought was not the case). There would have to be considerable pull toward the middle of the disc to pull the plh up, but I guess if the stamping process made the entire disc much warmer, then it could make more sence (never been around a hot stamped disc so I do not know).

from DGCR forum research I remember reading that the way innova offers "flat top" varieties of CFR (charity fund raiser) discs such as the gator, rocs, and firebirds by running them though an old hot stamp machine (that has no more ink). I was just guessing that the double/mutli stamped miss prints might have the same type of effect with these misprinted terns.

I threw my fresh Tern today for the first time. It's a 162g Star. The plastic feels identical to starlite, it's pretty soft. Not my favorite blend of Star, but it's OK I guess. I threw it up against a 155g Starlite. The Star actually flew more understable than the broken in Starlite. The Star went perhaps a notch further. I didn't put max oomph into my throws as the throwing surface was wet mixed with salted ice slush, tt was pretty slippery out there. I got it out to perhaps 320ft, I'm thinking I will reach 350 with a good rip. It's definitely my longest disc.

My fresh Starlite is a touch more stable than any of my regular stars. Talk about a great find for me. It's the closest thing I've found to my original Worlds Star Tern, the greatest driver ever crafted by human or elven hands.

QUESTION. I found a Star Tern (not Gstar) that has a Turn rating of -4....I thought it was supposed to be -3 for star and -2 for Champ?

how should i expect a 170g Star Tern to fly like? I do use a Champ Tern at 175g so im guessing the Champ is just more HSS

The star terns will definitely have less HSS than champ. Good for tailwind or rollers.. or turnovers that you dont want to come back

QUESTION. I found a Star Tern (not Gstar) that has a Turn rating of -4....I thought it was supposed to be -3 for star and -2 for Champ?

how should i expect a 170g Star Tern to fly like? I do use a Champ Tern at 175g so im guessing the Champ is just more HSS

The original run of Star Terns were ...-4,2, then they tweaked the mold, & it became ...-3,2. Little known fact; the very first run of (metal flake) champ terns that came out for BG Ams were pretty close to -4, as well!

(...& I'm finally learning to really hit long hyzerflip lines with my beat star Terns, but once they get too beat in, they get a little squirrely.... :eek: )

Last edited:
I have two basically unused stars. Pink and low 160s. These would be money for a moderate to lower arm speed.

Looking forward to blasting my champ 167s this spring/summer. Right now the plastic is way too rigid for the colder weather.

The terns are still one of longest discs in my bag. Another flawless mold from Innova.

Tbird, thunderbird and the tern are nearly perfect in their aerodynamics.

I have two basically unused stars. Pink and low 160s. These would be money for a moderate to lower arm speed.
Another flawless mold from Innova.

Yes, they are money for the noodle-armed, and I speak as a club member. My Star Tern is 162g and my Champ Tern is 157g, and both are my longest-throwing discs. They are awesome.

The champ terms are good for those who can throw relatively far as well. I'd say the tern is a good distance disc across plastics for anybody who is 430' or under.