• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

The glow Tern I have is super domey and glidey. Definitely the furthest flying Tern I've thrown. I was hoping for something similar from a McMorran color glow Tern, but this has me rethinking a purchase. The last image makes them look pretty flat too.

Anyone throw one of these color glows yet?

https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/champion-color-glow-tern-callie-mcmorran-tour-series.html

Yes, the Callie McMorran Terns are fairly flat. I do like their flight though, at 350' they turn slightly before a reliable and steady finish. They remind me somewhat of the Madison Walker Shrykes from a few years ago, which were one of my long-standing favorite discs.

Not sure how that flight compares with regular Terns, I'm guessing these are less glide-y and more stable, but I haven't thrown many other Terns to compare with. Personally I love these McMorran Terns though, and will stock up on a few more.

Did you ever throw the echo star tern? If so, how does it compare to the glow?

Echo star tern is still the best tailwind disc I've ever owned and I've had some shrykes that were close but not quite as long and definitely not as comfortable for a backhand grip.

Echostar Terns are generally less stable than the Glow Champ Terns. I really like the Echostar Terns, they fly very well for me. And I always liked Echostar plastic; it's too bad it went OOP.

Echostar Terns are generally less stable than the Glow Champ Terns. I really like the Echostar Terns, they fly very well for me. And I always liked Echostar plastic; it's too bad it went OOP.

Echostar went oop due to some Tour series discs getting the recycled plastic mixed in with new Star to have those who picked Star for a disc to be able to get more money like those who picked a less expensive plastic as Star is the second most expensive plastic to make for Innova behind the G-Star.

They seem to be slowly doing more echostar runs now at least. I still have old echostar terns so doesn't look like glow champs are worth it to me if they're more stable.

Pro Tern

Put a few throws on one of these recently. 167g. Somewhat flat. Not a huge dome here.

I was honestly expecting this thing to be too understable to throw. I imagined it turning and burning.

Not the case. The disc is still understable, but it'll hold up to hard throws with a little bit of hyzer on the release. The Pro Tern seems to glide really well, and flies a great S curve. There's enough late fade to bring the disc back toward center if you go right a little. The Pro Tern does very well in calm or downwind conditions. It got blown around badly in side winds or headwinds though (not that I'm surprised there).

This is a fun disc, and a long one. I won't say its longer than a star Tern, but it definitely isn't shorter. 450' is very much within reach here.

I'm not a fan of pro plastic, but I dig the way this pro Tern flies. It reminds me almost exactly of a lightweight star Tern. Great glide, flex, and distance. My only concern here is that the pro plastic will beat in quickly and this disc will become too flippy to throw hard. I guess time will tell. In the meantime the Pro Tern seems nice.

Has anyone seen any light (sub 160g) Pro Terns running around lately? I picked up an F2 from Innova about 6 weeks ago to see if it would help my weak arm get some "free" distance. It was a bit erratic but when I threw it well I definitely got extra distance, unfortunately one of the erratic throws found a watery demise. Now I can't seem to find any to replace it, I picked up a 150g Star Tern but it seems to have much more stability than the Pro, I'm not getting the distance I was.

Has anyone seen any light (sub 160g) Pro Terns running around lately? I picked up an F2 from Innova about 6 weeks ago to see if it would help my weak arm get some "free" distance. It was a bit erratic but when I threw it well I definitely got extra distance, unfortunately one of the erratic throws found a watery demise. Now I can't seem to find any to replace it, I picked up a 150g Star Tern but it seems to have much more stability than the Pro, I'm not getting the distance I was.

I was on the PDGA store this morning - they have a few Pro Terns in the mid/low 160's, and a ton of G* in the 150's...

Anybody thrown a Halo Star Tern yet? Waiting for mine to arrive, but would love to hear some experiences with it.

The Halo flies far but it's what you'd expect out of a star Tern. Mine is 174 and pretty flat.

Thrown hard with a good bit of hyzer, mine flips up glides over to the right and has a small bit of gliding fade. Less stable than a champion/glow.

The Halo flies far but it's what you'd expect out of a star Tern. Mine is 174 and pretty flat.

Thrown hard with a good bit of hyzer, mine flips up glides over to the right and has a small bit of gliding fade. Less stable than a champion/glow.
Oh I was expecting it to be at least even in terms of stability with a champ/glow. Well lets hope it has that max D potential for my noodle arm on open holes.

Finally got mine after waiting almost 3 weeks(shipped to Finland from Infinite discs)[emoji7] Tomorrow I will get to the field and test them out.
f7c55a64d356e13c7e1a51ae7b793ec1.jpg

Last edited:
I looooove my tern. Always throw it when I need long BH flex shots and anhyzers. I can always cut super tight gaps with it. The first time I threw mine I flipped it up perfectly on a flick... Haven't done that since :(

Glow Tern

Threw my 2nd glow champion Tern today. IDK what the weight is, but I'd say 170+. Let me just say, the Tern stinks in champion glow plastic. SIGNIFICANTLY more overstable and glideless than other Terns. Only by absolutely destroying this thing could I get it to turn. I also had to throw it flat. Thrown hyzer this Tern wouldn't even try to stand up.

I had a few good pulls with the glow Tern today. Good looking shots with some flex. Thing is, the distance and glide were mediocre, and I felt like I was losing 30'+ compared to other Terns.

This disc should be avoided in glow plastic. It doesn't fly that well, and is a lot more overstable than you'd think for a Tern. The one I threw today was something like 12, 4, -1, 3. Not a whole lot of turn, and a pretty dumpy fade on top of mediocre glide. This disc actually reminded me more of a star Destroyer, but with worse glide. Top distance was maybe 430'. I had to earn every foot of it. No easy float here.

Threw my 2nd glow champion Tern today. IDK what the weight is, but I'd say 170+. Let me just say, the Tern stinks in champion glow plastic. SIGNIFICANTLY more overstable and glideless than other Terns. Only by absolutely destroying this thing could I get it to turn. I also had to throw it flat. Thrown hyzer this Tern wouldn't even try to stand up.

I had a few good pulls with the glow Tern today. Good looking shots with some flex. Thing is, the distance and glide were mediocre, and I felt like I was losing 30'+ compared to other Terns.

This disc should be avoided in glow plastic. It doesn't fly that well, and is a lot more overstable than you'd think for a Tern. The one I threw today was something like 12, 4, -1, 3. Not a whole lot of turn, and a pretty dumpy fade on top of mediocre glide. This disc actually reminded me more of a star Destroyer, but with worse glide. Top distance was maybe 430'. I had to earn every foot of it. No easy float here.

That certainly doesn't sound like a Tern. Poor glide + Dumpy fade = No Bueno

...more of a Terd?

Anyone have luck finding pop topped or at least domey terns lately in star and champ? Give me a nice pop topped 167g champ any day.

Anyone have luck finding pop topped or at least domey terns lately in star and champ? Give me a nice pop topped 167g champ any day.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a super domey Tern. They tend to be a little on the flat side. If you want something flippy with dome, have a look at the Daedalus.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a super domey Tern. They tend to be a little on the flat side. If you want something flippy with dome, have a look at the Daedalus.

I recommend domey Terns for what it's worth. What is the deal lately with these damn flat drivers?? Same issue with Thrashers for me, I just want something with a little heartbeat.

I recommend domey Terns for what it's worth. What is the deal lately with these damn flat drivers?? Same issue with Thrashers for me, I just want something with a little heartbeat.

I agree. I MUCH prefer dome if I'm looking for a max distance driver. I feel the flatter the disc, the worse it glides. For understable shots I want max glide. You aren't going to get that with anything flat. I'm the same way with star Destroyers. The flatter they are, the less I like them. Bosses too. Lately it seems like Innova has been putting out some really flat Bosses. Those things are SUUUPPPEERR overstable and glideless. If I wanted that flight I'd just get an Ape.

MOST Terns I've seen are at least somewhat domey. G*s tend to be the flattest (and, IMO, the worst). The best Terns I've ever thrown were star with average/moderate domes. They fly true to the numbers and are among the longest drivers on the market.

Shrykes seem to be the Innova disc with the biggest dome consistently. I've seen a flat Shryke or two, but they're rare.

Did somebody say domey Tern?

eLdMYdY.jpg

For what it's worth, I actually hate very domey drivers, I find them hard to grip, and they do lose some sheer penetration and speed, but they can make up for it while gliding on the turnover part of their flight path when thrown really high. My favorite kind of profile is Latitude's domey discs, where it's more like a pyramid, and easier to grip.

Last edited:

Latest posts