• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

It's star plastic. Rather stiff with significant heartbeat. Also quite slick. It's tied 1st for domiest disc in my collection. The other being a Sail.

Love my Gstar Terns for their grip, but my Pro Pig has an ever better grip/feel. Finally was able to find a Pro Tern in the weight I like (low 160s). Should be here soon, I was just wondering if anyone could comment on the Pro Tern's stability and glide compared to Gstar. Thanks.

^
I had two Pro Terns. Got rid of both of them. Neither had very good glide and both were very slick. I love G* Terns for the grip, but the champion one I had had more grip than the pros.

Newer runs may be different. Let us know when you get it what the grip feels like.

^
I had two Pro Terns. Got rid of both of them. Neither had very good glide and both were very slick. I love G* Terns for the grip, but the champion one I had had more grip than the pros.

Newer runs may be different. Let us know when you get it what the grip feels like.

I wasn't ridiculously impressed with the pro Tern either. I expected it to be glider than star or champion, and it wasn't. I won't call the pro Tern a horrible flier, but it didn't do anything special.

The best Terns I've thrown have all been domey stars. Massive glide and distance.

Thanks for the comments. How's the stability of the Pro Tern? I'm hoping it flies a bit more stable (less understable) than my G* molds.

Thanks for the comments. How's the stability of the Pro Tern? I'm hoping it flies a bit more stable (less understable) than my G* molds.

Stability seemed pretty normal to me. IMO the pro Tern flew like a star. It just didn't quite have the glide I was anticipating. Nor the distance.

the pro Tern is OK, but not groundbreaking.

Just tried out the 2021 Callie McMorran Tour Series Terns, Champ Color Glow.
Her 2020 Tour Series Terns were really stable, loved how they flew, one of my favorite drivers in recent years.
These 2021 Terns are ultra flippy right out of the box. Immediately more understable than the stock Star Tern I've been bagging for six months.

I hadn't thrown a tern prior to picking up a halo Tern and holy cow I've been missing out. This thing has effortless distance.

Just tried out the 2021 Callie McMorran Tour Series Terns, Champ Color Glow.
Her 2020 Tour Series Terns were really stable, loved how they flew, one of my favorite drivers in recent years.
These 2021 Terns are ultra flippy right out of the box. Immediately more understable than the stock Star Tern I've been bagging for six months.

Agree on the 2020 McMorran Tern. A little bit beefy. I can lean into it with 100% power and get impressive distance. It'll turn, but not flip. Good glide as well.

One of the best Terns I've ever thrown. All the glide/distance, but none of the extreme flippiness.

My 2021 Callie McMorran color glow acted decently stable. Granted, I'm only throwing it around 350-375 on average, but it has some turn and good integrity at the end of its flight. I would have totally kept it in the bag because of its flight, but I'm just not a fan of how shallow the Tern is.

glow, metal flake, and luster all seem to be more stable than regular champ.

glow, metal flake, and luster all seem to be more stable than regular champ.

I've tried 2 glow champion Terns, and I wasn't crazy about them. They seemed flat, somewhat beefy, and didn't have much glide.

The McMorran Tern was different. While also champion glow, it's way domier, and flew a lot better.

All the best Terns I've seen have been heavy stars with good dome. They'll turn, but won't usually flip all over the place. Massive glide and distance.

I'm wanting to add a beefier Tern to the bag. My buddy loves his Halo Tern but those are a little harder to find without ponying up a good bit of cash. Does anyone know how similar the Halos are to a Champion Glow Tern?

I'm wanting to add a beefier Tern to the bag. My buddy loves his Halo Tern but those are a little harder to find without ponying up a good bit of cash. Does anyone know how similar the Halos are to a Champion Glow Tern?

From my experience the champ glows and regular champ are more stable than a halo. It's been awhile since I've throw a regular star, so I can't really compare the star to halo for you. But the halo has quite a bit more turn than the champion ones.

glow > champ >> halo > star > ?gstar? > pro

Starlite Tern

Quick little bit about a Starlite Tern I threw the other day.....

Wow. I generally hate blizzard and Starlite plastic. I think it's poorly made junk that usually doesn't fly well.

The Starlite Tern I threw was 150g, and luckily didn't have that choppy, blizzardy appearance. Nice dome.

Basically, this thing is everything a Tern should be. Flippy, but not to the point where it goes dive bombing right on every throw. A mellow hyzerflip was enough to keep it in the air.

Massive glide and distance. People talk about "cheater" discs, and this Starlite Tern was just such an example. I surpassed 450' with it multiple times, and with seeming ease. Huge, sweeping S curves and floaty glide.

Is this a disc I'd use on the course? Probably not. That said, in the field it's a distance champ. Poor in headwinds (obviously), but it performed great in calm or downwind conditions.

The Starlite Tern is worth a look for guys wanting easy distance. Just launch it up into the jet stream, and the disc does all the work. You don't need a big arm here.

Are Champ Terns generally true to the -2/2 numbers? Debating picking one up as an understable compliment to Xcals.

I prefer Champ. Beefy Star I'll settle for.

Just ordered one of these! I'm hoping it's not beefy. Can't wait to give it a toss!! Hopefully will be nice in the cold weather coming.

Attachments

• DECFF15E-A526-4FF3-ACDD-BD0E5E32DF54.jpg
    DECFF15E-A526-4FF3-ACDD-BD0E5E32DF54.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 14