• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

I've been throwing a starlite 150g Tern a bit and the thing is surprisingly beefy. With my noodle arm I'm not getting any turn out of it, it flies a laser line before it starts fading. I also got a 150g starlite Mamba that I bought at the same time, and it's super flippy. Easily the most flippy disc I have, more flippy than a beat-to-death 150g dx leopard. I was quite surprised that the Tern flew so different compared to the Mamba. The starlite Tern and Mamba flies nothing like each other IMO, at least not at 300ft of power

I've been throwing a starlite 150g Tern a bit and the thing is surprisingly beefy.

I have found the same. They are in the same stability range as the Champs, and most are clearly more stable than the Star Terns. (Though found the drab orange Starlites to be similarly less stable.)

The PLH on my pink and swirly red ones match my FR proto-star Champ Tern, with the parting line half-again higher than my Star and EchoStar Terns.

I'm thinking of getting one of these often praised Tern's. But I cannot decide what plastic. I'm a 300-320' thrower, what would you recommend? Champ or G*? Looking for something to maximize distance on open shots basically.

Echo star for max distance, gstar is almost as long but a straighter line, champion has more fade than the rest. I bag all 3 for different distance lines, but my echo star is my longest

I'm thinking of getting one of these often praised Tern's. But I cannot decide what plastic. I'm a 300-320' thrower, what would you recommend? Champ or G*? Looking for something to maximize distance on open shots basically.

Honestly, I'm still waiting on my G* to fly more understable than my Champs. All of those are a bit more stable than the numbers. If you like the feel, go with G*. At 300-320 though, as long as you have a good and flat release, Star would probably serve you better in every instance other than headwinds over 5mph.

I only throw slightly longer than that (325-350) and I have to put a pretty good amount of hyzer on my max weight echostar tern to make it finish straight out. After a pretty short break in, my max weight champ tern flies about ten feet shorter than the echostar on a much tighter line. If you're only going to get one I would recommend the champ. The echostar is more of a utility fairway for shaping the longest S possible from awkward stances that limit power, or wide open tee shots with a tailwind.

Champ terns in the high 160s for me are the most useful because I still use them for wooded tight lines and even long tunnel shots in 350-375 range. Hell they can handle pretty strong swirly winds too.

But for all out distance using s curve lines? Star isn't going to be topped. You can even do huge hyzer flips with them but you still need a lot of space. The few times I've sniffed 400ft is with a echostar 171g tern in calm conditions on a s curve.

Decided to see what all the hype was about...picked up two 170 champ terns and got a chance to audition them this past weekend. Not sure these discs will be finding a home with me as they're much flippier than I anticipated. Decent distance on hyzer flip lines but nothing special. Once again, the teebirds rule the roost.

I got a champ glow 175 this weekend at a tourney. May be the solution to my need for a more stable Tern. If not, no big deal as the Star Destro I have has been doing fine.

I don't throw Tern too much these days, but when I do boy does it still travel. Threw 475 feet opening shot with a hyzer flip in Järva hole 2 (15m past the basket). It's a slight downhill hole and had some tailwind going for me. Can't think of a more perfect disk than Tern for those shots.

Honestly, I'm still waiting on my G* to fly more understable than my Champs. All of those are a bit more stable than the numbers. If you like the feel, go with G*. At 300-320 though, as long as you have a good and flat release, Star would probably serve you better in every instance other than headwinds over 5mph.

Would it perhaps be a good idea to get lets say get a Champ 170-175 and a lighter star i dono 165-170 to cover long turn over to more straight shots in the wind?

I don't want to buy a disk just becouse it's good right now, but can also hopefully find a spot later on once form/distance improves.

Well, I don't know about any Star Tern into the wind. You would probably be better off with a heavy and light Champ for into, then a light Star for down.

So, I have failed with glitter and now glow in my search for the into the wind Champ Tern. Next time I'm around a good selection, I'll compare PLH and buy the highest one.

So, I have failed with glitter and now glow in my search for the into the wind Champ Tern. Next time I'm around a good selection, I'll compare PLH and buy the highest one.

It's hard to believe, but my most stable Tern (out of 15 or so) is an orangey/yellow 158 Starlite. I laughed out loud when I compared PLH to a Proto-Star stamped Champion CFR one and it was half again higher! All the Starlite Terns I've thrown are much more stable than the Star and EchoStar ones, and the PLHs almost always match the Champs.

It's hard to believe, but my most stable Tern (out of 15 or so) is an orangey/yellow 158 Starlite. I laughed out loud when I compared PLH to a Proto-Star stamped Champion CFR one and it was half again higher! All the Starlite Terns I've thrown are much more stable than the Star and EchoStar ones, and the PLHs almost always match the Champs.

I lost my Star Tern that bombed last week.. replaced it with a a blue poppy top Starlite Tern (thinking it would go farther) and I haven't been able to get it to do what my old one did yet. Flies much more stable.. I thought I just wasn't throwing as well on those days.

Well, the stability is good news, but I don't want to throw a light weight disc into the wind. How heavy do they come?

Latest posts