• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Twitch of the Hips

Distance is primarily dependent on velocity at the point of release.

If you follow the disc looking down from above, it moves in a generally straight path from start to finish.

Velocity at release, backhand, is dependent entirely upon the rotational velocity of the torso around an axis.

Ejecting the disc back hand is about accelerating the disc around an axis into release. The body is quite sufficient to rotate up to 360 degrees to do that sufficiently. Don't some max distance throwers spin around 360 degrees?

If the arm is extending outward from the spine axis, as you understand the throw, how is it accelerating? Figure skaters do this to slow rotation down, not speed it up. If the hit is supposed to generate the most acceleration, how is it even possible in your model of the swing?

If the arm is extending outward from the spine axis, as you understand the throw, how is it accelerating? Figure skaters do this to slow rotation down, not speed it up. If the hit is supposed to generate the most acceleration, how is it even possible in your model of the swing?

Just for the record, I do understand how to throw a disc the way you are describing, and have done it quite a bit since this thread started. I can throw it relatively far this way even, but...it just feels like a brick wall. There is no where for this technique to go, there is no more momentum to 'trap', which the other paradigm allows a huge pathway to build on.

When I spin early, there is no 'hit' in the swing at all really. I honestly believe the swing is decelerating, not accelerating. There is no moment where you catch the disc and really hit it hard in the pocket. It feels quite literally impotent.

As you rotate your hips your shoulders are still back or lagging behind in rotation. As you begin to bring the disc in and rotate the shoulders you begin to accelerate that torso rotational velocity. Because the mass of the arm and disc are pulled in to the power pocket during this acceleration speed it allows the torso to rotate powerfully or quicker. Then, almost ad quick as the disc was pulled in and the torso reached max acceleration the arm begins to extend and that torque you created thrusts the disc outwards and it gains so much mass upon ejection you can't hold onto it and it rips out.

I have really been practicing on increasing my rotational acceleration velocity these last two weeks during our lame windy cold weather and yesterday and today the wind finally stopped, the sun came out and I was throwing 30 feet farther on average than before.

Underweight training. In this case that means practicing the swing, full power, with no disc, just the weight of the arm. I've been doing about 50 each evening.
Oh. I also like to injure myself for fun.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Keep on doing what you're doing. I'm sure it will help you throw 500 feet in no time!

No it won't...

Well, you are entitled to your opinion. I've been practicing my driving without a disc for quite some time and no injuries yet.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion. I've been practicing my driving without a disc for quite some time and no injuries yet.
Yet. Exactly. You've been playing for a little more than three months.

And it's not my opinion. Throwing full power with no disc is ridicilous.

Yet. Exactly. You've been playing for a little more than three months.

And it's not my opinion. Throwing full power with no disc is ridicilous.

Everything I do or say people think it's ridiculous. And yet, Im progressing with my game relatively fast, and, without injury. So either I'm just strangely defying all odds, or, doing something pretty well.

Note to baseball players- don't swing a lighter bat, you could injury yourself.

Everything I do or say people think it's ridiculous. And yet, Im progressing with my game relatively fast, and, without injury. So either I'm just strangely defying all odds, or, doing something pretty well.
Man don't be so indenial. All the years of study that experts have done. Like real experts by the way. Just an insane amount of study done yet you still think your new way is correct? If it were correct more people would have talked about it being another way to throw the disc.

And now that it's winter pretty much I do overweight training with overalls, long johns and the thick coat. Was out yesterday morning throwing like that in 0 degree weather. I know all that weighs more than 5 ounces on the arm.

Well you have said some ridiculous things(as well as some insightful), but you tend to not speak very tactfully, or show your work or back up much of what you say with articles or evidence.

I've also said you might be a unicorn and your baseball background certainly works in your favor.

Or, it could be that I just work hard at it. I think that if one is willing to study it out then work their butt off success is almost inevitable. Like the other morning when it was 0 degrees out, a bitter north wind, sun hadn't come up yet, I could barely see what I was doing and I'm asking myself "what kind of idiot practices his drives in this bitter cold that freezes the eyebrows?"