• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Twitch of the Hips

Aye. All I know is that since I jave really focused on it I'm throwing farther more easily.

Under- and over-weight training has been proven to work.

Have seen it work in lifting, running/sprinting.

The use of weighted baseballs has been controversial but it works.

I have also tried it in the past for disc golf and it worked for me. Gained about 50' of distance one summer, threw my longest forehand throws ever.

Or, it could be that I just work hard at it. I think that if one is willing to study it out then work their butt off success is almost inevitable. Like the other morning when it was 0 degrees out, a bitter north wind, sun hadn't come up yet, I could barely see what I was doing and I'm asking myself "what kind of idiot practices his drives in this bitter cold that freezes the eyebrows?"

Consistent, hard work applied to a suboptimal program more often leads to better results than inconsistent, lazy effort applied to a more optimal program.

But consistent, hard work applied to a more optimal program more often yields better results than either of those.

What's the best program? The one you believe in and stick with.

I have also tried it in the past for disc golf and it worked for me. Gained about 50' of distance one summer, threw my longest forehand throws ever.

Yeah, we use to use under and overweight baseball's from time to time in baseball. We saw some good results.

The only studies I found showed over AND under weight baseball training to have no measurable effect. Do you have a source for this?

Velocity at release, backhand, is dependent entirely upon the rotational velocity of the torso around an axis.

One could certainly spin. The 100 yr old dude is basically spinning.

But normal throwers that you show videos of are not spinning about an axis. There are pivot pints and leverage, but it's not a spinning motion as such.

The goal of the throwing motion is to convert momentum to a force and linearly accelerate the disc.

The hip rotation is caused by follow through, not lead.

The only studies I found showed over AND under weight baseball training to have no measurable effect. Do you have a source for this?

Here's a start:

Effects of General, Special, and Specific Resistance Training on Throwing Velocity in Baseball: A Brief Review (DeRenne et al, 2001)
Effects of Baseball Weighted Implement Training: A Brief Review (DeRenne et al, 2009)
Increasing Throwing Velocity (DeRenne, 1985)
Effects of Under-and Over-Weighted Implement Training and Pitching Velocity (1994)

One could certainly spin. The 100 yr old dude is basically spinning.

But normal throwers that you show videos of are not spinning about an axis. There are pivot pints and leverage, but it's not a spinning motion as such.

The goal of the throwing motion is to convert momentum to a force and linearly accelerate the disc.

The hip rotation is caused by follow through, not lead.

I disagree. The backhand throw is all about rotating the body. The main distance in a backhand throw comes from a quick powerful rotation of the torso. The hip rotation leads the rotation of the torso and shoulders. There are guys out there who can bomb discs with the slowest x step on the planet. They aren't converting momentum into lateral shift to get distance. They are converting the rotational force of the hips, torso and shoulders to propel the disc. Adding more speed in the run-up is only slightly beneficial to distance.

I think the 360 throw is adding a ton more rotational velocity as well. Guess what, when performed properly it goes further. Also since we turn the shoulders as far back as we can in the backswing that is rotational as well. I would say it's both rational and linear. To what percent will vary by the throw and person.

I guess you could try throwing with no rotation but you won't throw it anywhere (like a putt).

I disagree. The backhand throw is all about rotating the body. The main distance in a backhand throw comes from a quick powerful rotation of the torso. The hip rotation leads the rotation of the torso and shoulders. There are guys out there who can bomb discs with the slowest x step on the planet. They aren't converting momentum into lateral shift to get distance. They are converting the rotational force of the hips, torso and shoulders to propel the disc. Adding more speed in the run-up is only slightly beneficial to distance.

You understand neither physics nor kinesiology.

Maybe you should post a video of your throw and we can compare it to a professional player. If you are against all odds on the right path as you say, your form should look very similiar if not identical ?

Maybe you should post a video of your throw and we can compare it to a professional player. If you are against all odds on the right path as you say, your form should look very similiar if not identical ?

He said he found this after he injured his right arm and started throwing lefty. I have a friend that does something similar.

When I watch him throw off(left) handed, he rounds. It's not as refined and doesn't result in as much distance, but I can understand how someone limited to a rounding throw might conclude that was THE answer.

That's what I see here.

Now you are getting it. Her hips move as part of the weight shift.

If it were a spin move, there would be no weight shift.

Have you been following this whole thread? I have been saying all along that her hips rotate as part of the weight shift- that it is dynamic.

I still have a lot to improve upon. This isnt the best representation as it was 19 degrees out this morning and My feet were cold and I was wearing 4 layers of clothes and coats.

Was throwing 300-350 on about 8 shots before I packed it in, was too cold, couldn't get stretched out.

https://youtu.be/mFq1MZqOa3M

This was my last throw of 8 this morning. It kept turning till it almost landed. It's a Jade, speed 9 disc. It's my favorite driver right now even though it can get too flippy when Im fully warmed up.This one measured 350 feet.

https://youtu.be/P-NOMVMM4_k

Have you been following this whole thread? I have been saying all along that her hips rotate as part of the weight shift- that it is dynamic.

but they don't lead. To the extent possible, the body is moving linearly forward along the disc flight line.

If it was a spin throw, you wouldn't have a weight shift.

but they don't lead. To the extent possible, the body is moving linearly forward along the disc flight line.

If it was a spin throw, you wouldn't have a weight shift.

The body is doing two things- it's moving in a linear position forward and it's also rotating around an axis.