• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Unwritten Rules of Doubles

Mark are you referring to doctor Doug Ertman MD?

"My" first victory against a large field came in doubles last fall playing with Jalle Stoor 1007 rating at that time IIRC and he shot better than all the teams by himself so that is the kind of favorite partner. And i messed up worsening the score on a worst shot hole forgetting it was such. I had been up 19 or 20 hours coming from work to play when i got to the last hole. Cannot remember which because i was so wiped out. I did pick up a birdie after a rare putting miss from him from 35-40' IIRC. And on another worst shot hole i parked and we took his lie so the hot 53 at Tali in a 19 hole layout was by no means a perfect round but a tremendous one anyway for him because the temperature in November is low here and the ground was wet and muddy thus slippery indeed. I suspect that Jalle would have led against anyone because the 18 hole course record is not that much better in the summer. Avery Jenkins holds the record.

Yes, Dr. Doug was my partner when we faced Ellis and Howard in the dreaded 6-6-6 round at Round Rock in the 2000 National Doubles event where we took 3rd in Masters. Here's Dr. Doug showing his (fake) righthanded putting motion at Round Rock that year.
Moonputt.jpg

Random fact. Doubles aside, Dr Doug is also a pretty good indoor volleyball player. We won a number of league championships together. Little did I know of his disc prowess until a number of years later when I bumped into him and we warmed up together for 6 or 7 holes before a B tier. I realized I had a lot more to learn. Great guy with a smooth throw.

Pardon the interruption, back to doubles.

Latest posts