• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

These are a few of my favorite things

Widdershins

Double Eagle Member
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens...*

These are a few of my favorite things...

* Throwing a perfect shot. Not just one with a good result but one that flies just like I envisioned it. One that looks perfect from the second it leaves my hand to the moment it finishes. The more difficult the shot and the more critical the timing of the shot (like the last hole of a tournament when I am in contention) the better a perfect shot feels.

* Having a cooler packed to the gills with ice and beverage waiting for me at the end of a round. Sometimes just sitting down at the end of a round is blissful.

* Dressing just right for a round in shaky conditions. The key is to wear the least bulky and restricting layers possible for the conditions. I would always rather be a bit too cold than too hot.

* Collecting a sponsorship bonus. Getting new discs is always a treat but there is something special about earning them by winning a tournament. It is too much fun to visit the factory and search through the racks.

Footnote*
For those who didn't get the raindrops and whiskers reference, it comes from a song in the movie, The Sound of Music, which must be way before your time.

A few of my favorite things?
Mark Ellis said:
* Throwing a perfect shot. Not just one with a good result but one that flies just like I envisioned it. One that looks perfect from the second it leaves my hand to the moment it finishes. The more difficult the shot and the more critical the timing of the shot (like the last hole of a tournament when I am in contention) the better a perfect shot feels.

* outdriving my friend's warp speed driver with my 150g DX Polecat.

* casually cleaning the basket after draining a 50 footer. Because you know I make those all the time.

* calling- and then making- trick shots that my friends have not seen before.

* helping golfers learn the sport

* DGR. I know it sounds cheesy but I love this board.

* new plastic.

My favorite thing to do is throw large diamater midranges far during a golf round. Most of the regulars I play with know disc flight well enough that they know that 1.) the disc won't get there soon and 2.) it's not going to fall out of the air.

I also like rounds where my putter is hot, because I think (and often do) make everything.

Timko said:
I also like rounds where my putter is hot, because I think (and often do) make everything.
Thats a favorite of mine, too. When i'm hot with my putter I feel like a real pro, not just donating one.

I also really enjoy a perfectly executed drive. when I do it exactly how i envisioned it, its usually an ace run too, which just adds to the euphoria.

I don't have a HUGE arm, but my drives are longer than anyone else in my immediate area... so i like blasting one about 460' - 480' and getting oooohs and awwwws. There's one downhill hole at my course that's over 600', but you need to throw over trees to get it there. I love throwing that hole with people around because i'm the only local who can get it within 50-100 ft of the basket (it IS downhill, remember). and i've parked it a couple times, so that was amazing.

going out for a friendly game. theres something really relaxing about goofing off and not keeping score.

for practice rounds, i'm usually alone. i can concentrate much better that way. I really like when i finally have that breakthrough and figure something out while out practicing. i feel like i could play all day when that happens.

helping noobs, and directing people to this website.

getting laid's okay too :roll:

Crushing a disc well beyond everyone in the group, and actually hitting the bird.

Having people ask me "what disc was that?" and not believing me that I am throwing XL/Buzzz/Cyclones further than their high speed drivers that ended up OB when they didn't hold the turn.

Competitive play, whether I am playing well or not, I love making the move on someone especially the momentum changing birdie-bogey swing.

I love hot streaks...when I start scoring birds on every hole, it is a total rush! I've had as many as 6 in a row, throwing perfect drives and sinking putts with authority.

JHern said:
I love hot streaks...when I start scoring birds on every hole, it is a total rush! I've had as many as 6 in a row, throwing perfect drives and sinking putts with authority.
That is a good feeling. I hit metal for bird the first 9 holes and birdied 7 of them yesterday. Then threw an upshot OB for a circle 5. Still took low tag. Thats something else that feels good:

Beating a player regularly (I think I win 1 of 3 now) you have viewed as better than you for a long time.

- Getting that first birdie after so many tries
- Live Aces (doesn't have to mine)
- Just playing a round always makes my day
- The sound of chains
- Meeting new people
- Birdies

Getting that Champ/Z disc beat in just right. It represents so much more work than baseline plastics and you know it'll stay that way for the long haul.

The jaw-dropping bailout shot. When you had the worst drive of the group and after the second shot you're parked closer than anyone when everyone expected you to eat a stroke on that hole.

My renewed love of Cyclones.

X-Link Firm putters. Finally, firm putters that don't beat up easily or feel like a 1970's dinner plate.

*ZomBIE Glow Rounds
*BReezy cool days
*Crushing with D Challengers
*The beauty of my Homecourse
*Taking out the garbage
*Disc Golf road trips

NoLifeLeft said:
The jaw-dropping bailout shot. When you had the worst drive of the group and after the second shot you're parked closer than anyone when everyone expected you to eat a stroke on that hole.
This. In our last weekly on hole #15 (440', slightly uphill to the basket, slopes severely to the right for the hole way) I tried to get some distance, ended up giving the disc too much anny and it drifted ~230' right of the basket, next to the basket of hole #12. One epic ION shot later I'm 10 feet from the basket and the only one to make par. =)

Having something go terribly wrong with your drive, then by crazy luck, it fixes itself in flight and ends up the best of the group.

Two favorite instances come to mind:

I threw what should have been a worm burner, it hit the grass <40' feet out, but skipped and stayed under 1 foot in height for the next 200 feet. It stopped within a few feet of the hole.

I threw one way too far right, and way low for the required line, a huge gust of wind lifted it up and slammed it into the chains for my first ace!

*sorry for punctuation/spelling/grammar errors, my phone hates me*

1. Having an E-Spirit in my bag for days when there are 40 mph headwinds(The look on peoples faces when I can hold a hyzer into a monsoon is priceless).
2. Fall Golf...especially at Big Creek State Park.
bc_16%20%28Small%29.jpg

1. Weeklies: It's something to look forward to and you get to see all of your friends. Nice and casual but with the potential for big monies. This also presents a good opportunity to meet new folks and drop some DGR knowledge on em. :D

2. Glow Golf: Glow golf blew my mind the first time I played and also taught me how to throw a roc ~300 (the first glow weekly I played only allows mid & putter).

3. Road Trips: I've had some of the best times with my buddies on DG road trips and not just playing golf either, driving, camping, chilling and everything else that comes up during the course of a trip. Also enjoyable is playing a new course solo or with a guide (added bonus if your meeting the guide for the first time in real life).

4. Throwing slower plastic farther than other guys are throwing fast stuff. This goes hand in hand with cutting up multi-directional shots where you need to exceed the cruising speed of a disc.

5. Coffee before an early round (does anyone else absolutely love a crisp morning on the course with a hot coffee?) / beers and chilling after a round. It doesn't get much better than hanging out with everyone after a weekly, drinking beers, playing $1 ctp, playing cups, tossing lids, etc...

I also enjoy throwing rollers that do exactly what I want, bowl holes, multi-round days, multi course days, safari golf, tiki, skip shots, high turnovers, dogs that retrieve discs without destroying them, dg girls, old dg heads, etc................... I could go on and on and on.

Safari! good call. Safari usually turns into "how many holes can we combine to make a monster par 5"? I love flexing my guns on more than one shot per hole.

(I also enjoy the rounds where I bring coffee not water)

*When you get into trouble and there is a small window about 50 ft away (or 50 up) and you hit it perfect.

*When you can see your disc heading for a tree and you get that oh so gentle kiss off the trunk that actually helps you out.

*After weekly summer league round is complete and just sitting around waiting for everyone to finish up. relaxing with friends and having a smoke (tobacco).

*Sifting through discs at disc golf stores.

*When my wife stopped getting angry about me playing so much and decided she wants to play also. Now I have a ready travel companion for all things disc golf.

* having my morning glory before a long day of golf :)

*crushing others drives with katanas,destroyers with my buzzz

*sinking clutch putts from the shule or sinking flick putts from afar

*knowing you get that perfect drive as soon as I leaves your hand

*having a hot round @ a tourney putting you several strokes off everybody

*making every putt in a round from 5'-50'

*giving newer guys tips and seeing them improve over the weeks

*being able to play all year long with out worrying about snow

*hitting the lanes you were aiming for and executing the shot you anticipated

*going ob and making the comeback putt for a circle 3

*hitting a ace during a tourney

*playing with a good group of friends that are all about playing golf till the sun goes down

*meeting new people and gaining friends @ tourneys

*having a woman who supports your habit!

*camping out over night @ a private course,playing night golf,drinking,bar b queing,and enjoying the fall weather

*this site :*) heh

oh yea....and having made so many dg friends all over the damn place!!!

booter said:
*playing with a good group of friends that are all about playing golf till the sun goes down

And when the sun won't go down... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlgKdkSsOjU (I was filming this and the shaking is due to me trying to fight off some bugs.)
So finnish summer and finally having a local course first come in my mind.

First time birdies on holes on I usually bogey

long floaty understable drives

pin point long distance spike hyzers