• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thinking about buying a distance driver. Advise me using your knowledge!

Johnny Depth

Double Eagle Member
Hey guys! I am thinking about buying a new disc soon. I've been playing for the past few summers, so I'm pretty new to the sport still. When I first bought a disc, I had NO CLUE about discs and my first purchase would confirm that; I bought a champion boss. :(

I ended up talking to some people and did some research, so I bought a champion teebird, a buzzz, and a champion aviar. All of which I absolutely love. With the teebird, however, I can't get past around 350' so I was wanting to get another driver with more speed. Would it be ignorant of me to buy a disc with a speed rating higher than 8 or 9? I was thinking a TeeDevil, but I'm still uncertain. What would you guys recommend. I'm left handed, if that matters. LHBH

Try a Star Wraith. It's a good next step from the Teebird. It's a bit more on the understable side which will make it easier to throw for big distance.

I throw almost the same set up as you, switch the aviar for a wizard, and I am also lhbh ha. I recently added a couple Millennium Orion LFs to my bag and have been absolutely loving them. I snagged one in the base Millennium Plastic and one in the Quantum plastic.

They have a similar flight to my teebirds, strait with a predictable fade at the end, and also do not have a massive rim like many super high speed drivers.
OLFs are a speed 9 disc so they aren't super fast but they have great flight qualities to get high speed driver distances. Tons of glide and mine have been developing some high speed turn as they begin to break in.

If you are capable of throwing a Teebird 350 than you should be able to throw a high speed distance driver with enough on it to get the flight path they were made to produce.
Though I am in the same boat and for some reason can not. I have a hard time getting a secure grip on bigger faster drivers so I have gone down a few speed notches but have found a disc that still enables me to get plenty of distance.

I throw my Teebirds 350+/- and my OLFs 375+/-
Approaching 400 with the OLFs and I think I'll be able to hit it once I season them a little more and continue to work on my form.

Try a Star Wraith. It's a good next step from the Teebird. It's a bit more on the understable side which will make it easier to throw for big distance.

What makes it understable? The fade rating is a 3. Wouldn't that number have to be negative for it to be understable? Or do I have it backwards? I always thought a positive number in the fade category means the disc if overstable.

I am a noodle arm and my choices for distance might be what you need.

Blizzard Wraith under 140g
DX Valkyre 165-170g
Tournament Northman 166-170g

What makes it understable? The fade rating is a 3. Wouldn't that number have to be negative for it to be understable? Or do I have it backwards? I always thought a positive number in the fade category means the disc if overstable.

There are 2 types of stability.

High Speed Stability and Low Speed Stability. The innova numbers can be hard to figure out. Go read Joe's Flight Guide http://www.gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/pdf/JoesFlightChart1.pdf

a + in HSS means it will fade when spinning a - in HSS means it will turn when spinning.

a 0 in LSS means it will die straight when spinning slows down/stops a + in LSS means it will fade when spinnign slows or stops.

So you look at the combination of those 2 ratings and you can tell what the disc will really do through its flight when thrown correctly. It will telly ouw hat it will do early in its flight and late.

When my DX Wraiths get broken in, I can throw with a light lean to the left and it fights to flatten out and even turnover.

A Teebird can be thrown farther that 350. So, You could probably just stick with that. But, if you want something faster I would suggest 2 discs.

I would look into getting a valkyire. They are a bit faster (speed 9) than the teebird and will be more understable. It would also be a great compliment to a teebird. The distance potential for a valkyrie is very high and should be all you need to push past that 350 mark.

If you want something faster and teebird-like I would suggest a PD. I like the S-line PDs the best for distance. I also really like them for a side arm. That would be my best guess for the next step up.

I'm on board with the guy that said Wraith or Surge, but you might also look into Pro Starfires or Pro Destroyers

I throw my teebirds about 350 as well, so if you're anything like me you're gonna need something a little more understable for more distance. Valkyrie is a great option. That's where I would start, but a DX or pro wraith would be a great option too. I say try em both.

Valkarie or wraith... I'll have to research em a bit! Thanks for the input everyone.

Check out orcs. Also really liking the blizzard destroyers, got a 125g that is long sweeping hyzer heaven. Also throw mid 130 for distance with control, and the 150+ for wind and skips.

Ah yes, don't forget blizzard. My 136 blizzard wraith instantly added at least 20ft to my drives. I've seen a lot of people around here with similar or better results with blizzard plastic. You just have to make sure you throw it with clean form.

A Teebird can be thrown farther that 350. So, You could probably just stick with that. But, if you want something faster I would suggest 2 discs.

I would look into getting a valkyire. They are a bit faster (speed 9) than the teebird and will be more understable. It would also be a great compliment to a teebird. The distance potential for a valkyrie is very high and should be all you need to push past that 350 mark.

If you want something faster and teebird-like I would suggest a PD. I like the S-line PDs the best for distance. I also really like them for a side arm. That would be my best guess for the next step up.

I'm agreeing with this...except that getting a champ Teebird past 350 isn't all that easy for most people unless it's beat up a bit. Depends on how you're getting that distance from it, of course, but I think that's a great indicator that you're reaching close to the potential of that disc and it's a good time to step up.

I wouldn't go way up to the Wraith just yet. Valk is a great choice, and if you need something a little more stable then look at a Viking or OLF. Those don't have wide rims, so they'll be an easier transition and you can judge their flight patterns/distance to see if you're able to handle something faster like a Wraith, etc. If high winds or whatever make you want something still more stable, then you can choose a disc with more stability, or move up a notch in speed to get it that way (mostly).