• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thorns

Yes.

Issues to overcome:

What about sometimes-hazardous plants like Poison Ivy? Do allergic people get relief---possibily advantageous relief---when others do not? Do they have to prove their allergy? A doctor's note?

What about other plants with rarer allergies? Want to challenge someone's claim to allergy to Trumpet Creeper? (I once knew someone allergic to grass. Imagine.)

Frequently patches of thorns or poison ivy are expansive enough that 5 meter relief isn't sufficient.

Thorns are easy to identify....how proficient are people at distinguishing poison ivy from similar, or even dissimilar, plants? Seems to me that many city folks can't.

I still agree and advocate for relief from hazardous plants. Disc golf shouldn't involve bloodletting or benodryl. But these are some of the hurdles such a rule must address.

Every well run tournament I've attended so far the TD has announced at the player meeting casual relief from poison ivy for people that do not want to get into it.

I think it should be at the TDs discretion. I know around here, before tournaments, the folks running it will spray all the PI they can. it usually helps the average golfer. if you suck real bad you will prob find it. and if you are highly allergic you will prob get it anyways. there is a guy who plays GM i think, he carrys around Windex and a rag and wipes his discs after every throw regardless, he is that allergic.

I don't see why I can get relief from other harmful living organisms (animals and insects), but not plants.

Uhhhh, I can't play from these weeds due to allergies. Free relief from "hazardous" plants is not going to happen.

Uhhhh, I can't play from these weeds due to allergies. Free relief from "hazardous" plants is not going to happen.

It's written currently as a group (or official) call...i don't see why you need to put yourself in the middle of every decision on the course...let the players manage it themselves.

Lack of consistency in what defines a "hazardous plant" is why free relief will never happen for tournament play UNLESS the TD marks areas in advance for free relief which has been done for large areas of PI or briars. Casual play, do what your group decides.

"Hey, that DOG over there is causing my eyes to water all the way over here on the teebox"

so allergies are allowed to take casual relief for dogs but not plants?

Yep, if the dog is unpenned or unleashed although I'm not sure where you're taking relief.

Doesn't matter where my relief is taken in this example...just illustrating how your allergy argument is flawed based on circumstance.

The allergy argument isn't flawed if all the rule says is you get free relief from hazardous plants because hazardous is too undefined and you could argue allergies including pine pollen. You only get free relief from a dog if your disc lands within it's reach. If it's unleashed and unpenned then all play stops until it's secured.

We're not discussing whether you can get relief because you can always get it. It's just a matter whether YOU have placed yourself at risk in plants (penalty for relief) or the situation placed you at risk with nearby animals that can/will attack (no penalty for relief).

Last edited:
The allergy argument isn't flawed if all the rule says is you get free relief from hazardous plants because hazardous is too undefined. You only get free relief from a dog if your disc lands within it's reach. If it's unleashed and unpenned then all play stops until it's secured.

"The dander from the dog is interfering with my stance and I may relocate my disc under casual relief".

I have met ALL requirements of the rule (except attempting to remove obstacle first, but that's not important).

My point is still that your reasoning for NOT having the hazardous plants rule does not hold true for hazardous animals/insects. So you'll need to come up with a better reason on why I cannot take relief from poison ivy.

Big deal. I've been hurt more by trees (in my follow-through) than you by your allergies. I want relief from trees!

And, since I'm so clumsy, exposed roots too!

Help me. I've fallen down the slippery slope and can't get up.

Sorry but it's the potential direct contact from the dog that provides the free relief such as landing in its portable pen or within its staked area in the park, not simply being in the vicinty of the dog where it can't contact you.

CK, I agree that the direct contact is part of it...so why did you introduce the "allergies" argument to disprove my request on adding hazardous plants? That argument has nothing to do with direct contact, rather the definition of "hazardous", which SHOULD be a GROUP/official call that can easily be made on the spot, rather than in a committee miles away from the course. Why not just give the group/player the benefit of the doubt and allow hazardous plants to be part of the casual relief obstacles?

Latest posts