• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throttle your arm or your discs?

billnchristy

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Just curious what people use to get the distance they want.

ie:

Do you throw at a percentage of your max to get the distance or do you switch to a disc that has a known distance in your hands.

Let's say you throw 300' and you have a hole that goes to 272'

Do you:

A: Throw you 300' disc at 90% for 270' (hopefully)
B: Throw a disc you know maxs out at around 250' and throw 100%

I know there are times that you have to do a little of both but I am of the opinion that throwing at or near 100% all the time is the way to go when possible...it is easier to throw full effort than say 30%.

Or is this all automatic and you don't even think about it?

Opinions?

In general I use the slowest disc possible that will do the job. The reason for this is the amount of skip - and that affects the accuracy. Drivers skip more than midranges which skip more than putters. When this approach differs is when I need a flight path (or intentional skip) that only a faster disc will provide.

I usually make it a rule to thumb anything 290' or shorter as I feel I have more control over my thumbers, but if I were to backhand a hole that short, I would probably switch to a disc that I could throw 100% and not have to worry about overthrowing. Maybe throw a putter or midrange, or even a slow fairway driver, whatever you can find that works for you.

I tend to agree, I use the slowest disc possible for the hole as well. Not necessarily because of the skip, but it is easier to control a slower speed disc than something faster.

I just dont throw as hard for the most part. Anything 200 and in gets the Sinus SP thrown at it. Thats what I call the greatest upshot disc ever. Its very reliable even in the wind.

It really depends on the line I want. If it were an open hole I'd throw the 300' disc on a hyzer line.

Honestly, there's normally not a gap like that. It's ususally that there's overlap between where two molds you have will both work. You have to decide if you want to find a way to shorten up the faster disc by taking fewer steps/less reachback, throwing lower or throwing on a hyzer or if you want to go for it with your slower disc. Generally, the faster disc on a hyzer is the most predictable line when you find yourself in a situation like that.

I usually throw the same way every time if I can, at around 75% of my power. I throw harder than that my drives go all over the place. So, yeah, slower discs.

I do some of both. Often it depends on the mood I'm in at the time. You have to be able to throttle your arm to throw accurate approach shots anyway, so it's not much of a leap to do it with drives.

I usually let up a bit if I know I can overthrow the chains. Or throw a bit lower so it doesn't travel as far.

Great question btw..I'm always asking myself this on the course.

I am completely unpredictable in this sense. I always need to check the wind first and make sure I "feel" the shot. Any given day, on the same hole, I will switch up which disc I use based on my gut feeling. I don't like to force a shot that I'm not feeling comfortable with in the moment. Some days I'll gun a putter and the very next day I may thumb from the same distance for my approach shot.

The wonderful thing about golf is that it's never the same game twice.

I think line plays a big part of this decision. If you are going to play a big hyzer/anhyzer shot, the disc may have to travel 300ft to get to the basket, in which case I would throw driver. If you are going straight at it, I would take the lesser disc and throw full power, maybe a fairway driver. I'd much rather throw full power than to try and guess how hard to throw.

Every shot is so unique that it is really hard to say one way or the other. With a huge drop off right behind the hole it is obviously advantageous to stay short or to one side of the basket so as not to be putting off a cliff. There are times when I will take a putter for a shot and the next time from the same distance use a driver because I have to get around something. There is just way too much to say one way or the other. At the same time it is good to develop a few different powers to your shot so you know hey I am throwing this one with everything I got or nope just take it nice and easy or hey, you just need to stand still and put this disc on the right line. Just remember to take some time to think about what you actually need in every situation and then watch some pros to see what they do. I think about 50% of the reason why pros are pros is because they know what to do in just about every situation.