• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing 90m (295') - how to improve?

Correct, your upper body is going ahead of your lower body weightshift. Note how your head/CoG continue falling over / thru the release, so you are going over top or collapsing behind the front hip, instead of standing up upright onto front hip into the finish.

The x-step is really not helping you learn the fundamental sequence/balance/posture. IMO you should learn the double dragon before using x-step and I'll bet you will throw further with less effort than with x-step. You really need to let go of the swing and kick to have continuous flow back and forth and allow some chaos (whip) in your swing and have absolutely zero worries about where the disc goes or ends up or trying to hit positions. Just focus on the nailing the sequence and making the swing long and loose and maintain dynamic balanced center back and forth perpetually(similar to walking drunk almost losing balance and giving a whip counter balance). Going slow and loose and patience and hitting the correct sequence is what gives you speed or smash factor efficiency.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118948

Thanks for the reply! We actually talked about the double dragon drill during the practice. I can really feel the weight of the foot dragging me forward, which I don't feel in my actual throw. Practicing the hershyzer drill, kick the can and double dragon hopefully will sort things out. I also notice that my upper body leans too much backward in the reach back, and, as you pointed out, I lean too much forward in the throw. I am not balanced between my legs. To fix this, I need a lot of reps, getting used to the right moves.

Update and new record

Long time since last post, so I want to come with an update. Last year I focused on playing disc golf when I had spare time (instead of practicing technique). Last winter and this winter, I threw with more of a walk up rather than a run-up, eliminating the hop in the x-step, because of the slicker conditions and uneven ground in the snow and ice. Over time, I think I got the timing better and I was throwing as far as with the hop and less walk-up/run-up speed. Last summer, I measured some throws with a range finder to 122-123 meters, which was my first measured throw above the 400 feet/120m mark (with my old style hop). Some weeks ago, I went to the field and threw a new record of 131m (430') with a star Katana (video below) on artificial grass. A star Corvette also flew pretty far for me.

https://youtu.be/T4gtYwRAeeI

To critique myself, I see that I turn my head and body just too early so my back foot points too backward (this has been my curse all the time). Looks like my x-step is too long, so I lean a little over in the reach back. Would like to get more feedback. Although I see the bad things now, I was surprisingly happy with the form when I saw the video for the first time. My right arm is much more in the power pocket now, I brace decently, and looks like I stop all the forward motion and finish in a straight position. My left arm is also decent without focusing at all on it.

Some words to other people wanting to throw farther that is still in the 100m-110m range. I have learned how important the reach back or coil is in the throw. When I throw I focus only on being patient in the backswing, focusing on turning the right shoulder back and getting the shoulder socket "pulled back", like in the door frame drill. This also gives me better timing, so I get my front foot more planted before the swing. With a slower walk-up instead of a run-up, I also "feel" the throw better, knowing more when to start the throw. Eventually, I threw further over time. Hope this helps someone.

Practice running sideways(x-step) for 100 meters, so you don't over turn the rear foot back if you want to perpetuate the steps. Your butt should be preset slightly to target while doing that.

Practice running sideways(x-step) for 100 meters, so you don't over turn the rear foot back if you want to perpetuate the steps. Your butt should be preset slightly to target while doing that.

Yeah, I think this is the exercise I need right now. And I can practice being on my toes while I am at it. Maybe it will add 10m when I get the hang of it and when I get the timing right. I will be back when this is fixed.

Last edited:

Latest posts