• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing a disc vs. throwing a stick

Is spin one of the goals?

i would say no. i have said this many times before, but i don't feel anyone should try to spin the disc. i also don't feel anyone should try to not spin the disc.

basically, your goal should be to exert force on the disc. if done correctly, spin will happen.

to compare disc golf to baseball or golf, entering the power zone represents the point of contact. unloading the elbow and wrist as you pass through the power zone is the equivalent to releasing the bat/club head.

basically, it's the difference between making contact with the ball and DRIVING the ball. if you don't "hit it" it's the equivalent of "slapping" the ball in golf or baseball. while you can have moderate success with line drives, true power happens when you DRIVE the ball (or in this case, disc).

Something fun: I learned an interesting thing a while ago, watching some extreme throws and analyzing the possible explanations for the late-late-turn some players can get. Basically, the spin rate, when it starts really fast, slows down in flight at a faster rate than does the speed (specifically, the ability for spin to stabilize it slows more quickly than the ability for speed to make the disc turn). Since high spin stabilizes the disc from turning or fading (precessing right or left for RHBH, respectively), the lower spin rate later in flight while still at higher speed causes the disc to turn more rapidly later on.

cool. so you were able to find the answer to this when we talked about it a few months back.

Blake_T said:
...unloading the elbow and wrist as you pass through the power zone is the equivalent to releasing the bat/club head.

Is "unloading the elbow" = extension? Just trying to get terminology straight.

correct. in other sports terms you would say "release the elbow" etc. but that's too similar to releasing the disc :p

Ok. So I just understood that you need to get a full "wind up" for the pen exercise. I went out and tried it and found that it either slipped out early (shocking, I know Blake) or I grip locked. Either way, there was not very much spin. Is this normal? Or, is this indicative of the problems I've been having?

Ok. So I just understood that you need to get a full "wind up" for the pen exercise. I went out and tried it and found that it either slipped out early (shocking, I know Blake) or I grip locked. Either way, there was not very much spin. Is this normal? Or, is this indicative of the problems I've been having?

the purpose is to throw the pen. if you find a full windup helps the speed/direction of the pen then you have an answer. if you find a full windup hurts the speed/direction of the pen you have another answer.

the goal is to make the pen fly really fast and in a straight line (it will be spinning).

once you have found your magic spots compare that to your throw.

Fun story. I was camping last weekend on the coast, and raccoons were making sneaky raids into our campground, trying to run off with our food bags and such. They were pretty bold little buggers.

Anyways, I found some nice pen-sized sticks and began throwing them like this, and it was a lot of fun. Not only did I hear a satisfying whirring sound when I hit it just right, but I was also able to get the sticks deeper into the woods where the raccoons were lurking, and when they struck home I would hear a scurry and a chittering sound.

Blake_T said:
in other sports terms you would say "release the elbow" etc.

When i heard this, all i could think about was the movie Gladiator and a giant trebuchet.

I just keep thinking, "On my signal; Release the elbow."

trebuchet.jpg

USAnarchy said:
Blake_T said:
in other sports terms you would say "release the elbow" etc.

When i heard this, all i could think about was the movie Gladiator and a giant trebuchet.

I just keep thinking, "On my signal; Release the elbow."

trebuchet.jpg

Brilliant