• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing Understable Hyzer

bmains

Hello,

I was watching this instructional video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-5uHMoYJ6Q&list=PL8BE5004B2256EA23&index=2&feature=plpp_video

The pro in this video stated that you throw an understable disc in a hyzer form, and it will fly straight. This is completely foreign to me as when I throw a disc in this form, an under stable disc (champion sidewinder) that I have hyzers immediately... could some one explain the mechanics of a hyzer throw of an understable disc? What is he doing to make it fly straight?

Thanks.

Understable means different things for different people. A pro throwing 450-500 is going to get a disc to flip a lot more than someone throwing the same disc 300. My guess is that you aren't throwing the sidewinder with enough speed to make it turnover for you. How far are you throwing that sidewinder? what does it do if you throw it flat?

Like Curt said, you need to give out a lot more information for anyone to help. If you can only throw a driver 200-300', you aren't going to be able to hyzer flip anything. If you are trying to hyzer flip a brand new disc, you might need to throw harder until it gets broken in. I can throw a blizzard katana 400-450 pretty easily, however you give me a Champ Ape or a similar high speed over stable disc, I can't get them to fly straight.

Pick up a Champion Panther if you are a new player and you want to learn how to hyzer flip, turn a disc over, etc.. The Panther will do all of these things, at low power.

Nose angle will effect flip as well, more nose down = more flip. Obviously the opposite is true more nose up and less flip more overstable a disc will fly.

And as said before, more power and spin the more a disc will flip too or fly understable/right for RHBH. Less power more overstable.

That is actually false, spin counteracts turn and makes discs fly more stable.

Beaten DX Leopard is also an excellent turnover disc for low power players.

That's pretty much what I do for anything over 280-ish feet and I'm definitely not the biggest power thrower in the world.

The TL (haven't tried any with a + rim, these are all 2 or more years old) works pretty well for me. The disc doesn't have as much right->left movement and you also don't need to throw any higher than 6 or 7 feet high. It's good for accuracy, low ceilings and tunnel shots. It's not good if you have bad form (a little difference in release angle, nose up, slips at release or if your pull through line is aimed poorly will really screw you) or if the wind is bad. TLs aren't the greatest wind disc in the world (unless it's a tailwind, I guess). They also fly a different, but predictable, line if you power them down, so don't try that technique at shorter distances. But it is easy, accurate distance if you put in the time to learn it.

Hi all,

I am currently throwing 225 - 260 feet, and throwing left handed backhand; when I throw a disc flat, it typically fades to the right for me. I've had the disc for about 4 years now, so not exactly new. I think the takeaway here is learning how to hyzer flip a disc and improve my form to get more power?

Thanks.

One can hyzer flip with controlled OAT as well, but that's a trick that requires a good and consistent form to base on. You could take a video of yourself throwing and post it on the video critique section for peeps to analyze it. I also recommend this thread http://discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16139

Yeah that wasnt worded right, of course I meant higher disc speed and you need a Groove to really make it work.