• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

Starfire- 10/4/0/3
Firebird- 9/3/0/4
Thunderbird- 9/5/0/2
FL- 9/3/0/2
T3- 8/4/0/3

If this disc has a purpose I missed it

and that's forgetting the PD, TL3, SL, and Viking... people think there really is a huge gap in their current line up?

Should have had an overmold :| Then it would have been called a volt clone and we could have something to realllllllllly talk about :p

Just another disc to give my Orcs a run for their money.

I'll give it a run...sounds like what an Escape claimed to be, but wasn't.

Let's see if Innova can even hit their targeted flight ratings via mass production.

I would much prefer they test every run and stamp the numbers accordingly. I'd have 20 less overlapping discs sitting in a box waiting to replace ones in my bag.

I think the people looking for this to fill some sort of gap in Innova's lineup are looking at it the wrong way. Innova didn't make this to fill a gap; they did it to sell more discs. The Viking and FL may be very similar numbers to this, but they've never been super popular molds, whereas the TeeBird is. So if Innova can replace the Viking/FL with something that plays off the success of the TeeBird, they can probably sell tons. (I said "replace" but I don't think the Viking/FL will be discontinued unless demand for them completely dries up which it might.) I mean this isn't really all that different from what Discraft is doing with the Buzzz OS. They're making a new mold that significantly overlaps the Hornet/Drone for the sole purpose of capitalizing on their most successful disc, the Buzzz.

the bottom, yes... firebird wings. The tops however are very different. The Discmania anhyzer top is much different than a wraith top. It has a funny angle to it, which adds some bulk.

That Discmania anhyzer top is why I've never liked PD's. They just feel all wrong to me. I hope this Thunderbird doesn't have a PD top, although I don't really need another mold in my bag anyway so I shouldn't care.

I do think this fills a gap. The FL is an odd duck. It feels weird in the hand, and has zero glide. I'm betting on this being a slightly blunter-nosed PD...which would be pretty nice.

Almost sounds like a Rival to me.

If any company switched to this, I'd drop everything else and just throw theirs just to show support.

I would gladly be one of their testers for speeds 10 on down as long as I could keep the test discs :thmbup:

Next time I see Dave at La Mirada I'm going to suggest it.

So anyone else releases a disc and it's awesome. Innova releases a disc and pitchforks come out. Ugh

The PDGA specs the Thunderbird to have the same width rim as firebird, olf, pd, and, valks at 1.9cm. The Starfire , Orc, and Escapes are 2.0cm rims.

Smart money is Innova PD.

the bottom, yes... firebird wings. The tops however are very different. The Discmania anhyzer top is much different than a wraith top. It has a funny angle to it, which adds some bulk.

I'll give ya that. It was weird moving from 1.1 and MOLFs to PDs due to the dome, but only at first. I could easily throw in a 1.2 QOLF with my PDs and be a-okay

Anyway, back to the Thunderbird. The proto is in champ, which is a good sign to me. I'm not down with the GStar.

Any guesses as to how many limited edition stamp/plastic combos we'll see before a production run?
Player pack CFR early release?
Factory store gstar special mini-stamp?
Protostar Champs, limit 25 per vendor?
Tour series swirly Starlite run?
Then, finally, a sweet art stamp ala the JL Teebird3's?

another another new mold that doesnt excite me in the least and i love speed 9-10 discs .. sounds like an Orc, FL, Viking, PD, Olf etc. .. but it will sell so yeah woo hoo innova :eek: :eek: :\

Last edited: