• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

I mostly throw GStar. In my experience they have a -.5 to -1 turn. They still handle wind as good as the other plastics do and are the farthest for me. (I own Star, Champion, and GStar Thunderbirds)

Thundy is an awesome awesome mold but I'm noticing too much inconsistencies in plastics for my taste... And I'm the kind of players who approves of the groove so.... ...Innova fix this.

I've now thrown my Pro a bit. It's almost perfect next to my Star. No turn for me, but a good bit later fade and less.

...I'm noticing too much inconsistencies in plastics for my taste...Innova fix this.

Hmm, I haven't noticed any more stability shift than I'd expect from a disc with this wide of a wing. But then again my sample size is relatively small.
How many have you thrown?

I agree that there is a wide spectrum of stabilities between plastics, but from my sample size there has been a decent amount of consistency within each plastic.

I had four different Stars and all threw extremely overstable and almost identically.

I am now sitting on a dozen Champs. Of them all, the least stable (but still stable) of the bunch is a seasoned Proto Star. Then follows the Air Force Stamped. Next up are regular production run. Finally, the most stable (stable, but not overstable) were a pair of stampless that were eventually bottom-stamped by a secondary source. I treat the Proto Star Champ and the Air Force like they are simply seasoned versions of the regular production ones; they are right where I want them, but not so different from the production ones that I NEED to carry both. My everyday rounds I continue to throw fresher productions with no drop-off off just so I can season them closer to the Air Force I carry in my league/ tournament bag.

I do have two of the Luster Christmas Champions, but being white, I have to wait until the snow disappears before I can confirm that they fly nearly the same as well.

Yeah I think the range of stabilities by plastic fall within the usual plastic stability variation that happens in every mold. I mean, I can't think of ANY mold that doesn't fly a little differently in different plastics. The main things I see in Thunderbirds that are a little different than usual is that the DX's are so overstable and the champions are less stable than the Stars. Typically champion is the most overstable plastic and DX is the least for a mold. However, in the case of Thunderbirds, I view that as a positive rather than a negative since it makes the DX's so great for cycling and makes the champions more useful for a wider range of players.

I've thrown 7. All star and champ. One color glow champ.

My 3x blue champ is magical types of HSS. Combined with that juicy champ glide and it's easily my fav. My next closest was. 4x idye but it just didn't have ANY dome whatsoever so it didn't sail. The color glow champ is much different than the other champs it is noticeable point less stable and s-curved in a valkyrie-esque fashion.

The two stars I threw were trash and the dudes who got them regretted buying them thinking they'd be anything like my champs. Dumpy fade, too flat, etc.

I think you guys are taking me into a champ thunderbird, and I'm not a fan of champ plastic.

Champion Thunderbirds in slightly lighter weights are nice, something 168-169. They still have good hss but the fade is longer and later. I use them as a stable compliment to my seasoned champion Orcs.

My light champ factory seconds were so long that it altered my bag setup.

For 165/166 they still do well in variable wind conditions.

On the right is a 166 Thunderbird I bag (no bubbles) on the left is a 171 Thunderbird I picked up cause it was purdy.

Attachments

• 20170111_164601.jpg
    20170111_164601.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 98
Just ordered one of these in G-Star. Looks like that is the best plastic for less stability on these. I know it is ment to be overstable but I am a noodle arm and wanted something useable not a meat hook.

This is also the first disc I am trying in G-Star plastic. Don't like champ much anymore and Stars might be too OS for me. I bag mostly GL and Star plastic ( there is a little Icon, Pinnicle and DX in there too ) in my current bag.

I'm really starting to click with DX Thbirds. Previously they were too overstable for most shots but after some tree hits they get laser-straight with a healthy left fade. I'm using them on more and more holes every round. And as mentioned several times already, this DX plastic is so nice and grippy.

Do they make anything else in this version of DX?

Just ordered one of these in G-Star. Looks like that is the best plastic for less stability on these. I know it is ment to be overstable but I am a noodle arm and wanted something useable not a meat hook.

This is also the first disc I am trying in G-Star plastic. Don't like champ much anymore and Stars might be too OS for me. I bag mostly GL and Star plastic ( there is a little Icon, Pinnicle and DX in there too ) in my current bag.

I get the most distance out of my G-Stars. Star is certainly very stable with champion falling between Star and G-Star.

What kind of distances are you guys throwing your thunderbirds?

I expect 400' on a low golf line. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less.
If I definitely need more than 400' then we're starting to look at flex lines or a different disc.

I'm throwing Champs and DX all at 175g.
The Pros are nice but I either want the cycle-abilitiy and glide of the DX or the durability of the Champ.

Depending on the hole and course conditions but generally 350' to around 400'. If I'm really trying for distance I can bomb it out to around 450'. Though, at that point I'm reaching for a different disc.

I don't have the ungodly arm of Marmoset or Sydex. I generally max out around 400 with distance drivers on golf lines. I usually throw Thunderbirds for shots between 330 and 375 depending on the line. I have gotten Star Thunderbirds out to 400 on flex lines in field practice, but it's not a shot I would attempt on the course most of the time.

Hopefully, everything soon.
I read somewhere that they don't have a lot of control over it. They buy whatever plastic pellets they can find and hope for the best. I would assume if they had the ability to make all their DX discs feel like these Thunderbirds, they would.

The same seems to be true with McPro plastic. The 2015 Aviars were much stiffer than the 2016's.

Latest posts