• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] TL3 - Evolution of the TL

I've only thrown a gstar. How do the other plastics fly?

Any different than an eagle L?

I've only thrown a gstar. How do the other plastics fly?

Any different than an eagle L?

I haven't thrown EL's in a long time, like 15 years... So I can't compare them to TL3's but I can give a stability rundown of the plastics:

Gstar TL3 is hyzer-flip to turn with a slight fade

Star TL3 is hyzer-flip to straight with slight fade

Champ TL3 is rip flat to straight with slight fade

All max weight

Thanks man

I was just looking at my extras and I have way too many teebirds and ELs. I shouldn't even be thinking about adding another but I used to enjoy throwing the gstar tl3

My favorite disc is a really old beat third for hyzerflips that barely fade, do I need a tl3? O feel like it will take forever to beat in another teebird with how overstable they mold up these days

My favorite disc is a really old beat third for hyzerflips that barely fade, do I need a tl3? O feel like it will take forever to beat in another teebird with how overstable they mold up these days

That is an issue, that you might lose that beat in Teebird, and beating in another will take time. IMHO a TL3 should get into the wheelhouse of that beat Teebird fresh out of the box or much more quickly. Try a TL3 in your favorite plastic and see how it does. At worst it's a practice disc or you can pay it forward. At best, you're gonna love it. :thmbup:

TL3 wasn't even on my radar but I found some super flat pearly champion ones in a shop and had to pick one up. Looks and feels great. Don't know where it will fit in my bag with the FD and thunderbird.

Got out and threw the tl3 today. Pretty interchangeable with my c line FD. A hair more fade and less turn. I may not end up bagging it because they are so similar. The tl3 is definitely better for forehand's though.

Got out and threw the tl3 today. Pretty interchangeable with my c line FD. A hair more fade and less turn. I may not end up bagging it because they are so similar. The tl3 is definitely better for forehand's though.

Is this the pearly ones?

Ship em my way, I'll cover full cost plus shipping. I need a consistent replacement for 2nd run FD

Is this the pearly ones?

Ship em my way, I'll cover full cost plus shipping. I need a consistent replacement for 2nd run FD

Yep,super pearly and somewhat soft. I'd say its probably the closest thing I've felt to a 2nd run FD tbh. Other than not being firm. The feel is reminiscent of early pearly champion blends.

Is this the pearly ones?

I've been bagging one of these and I'd say it's a touch less stable than a 2nd run. Like ponder, I find them very similar to a C-FD. The pearly champ plastic is awesome and they are pretty flat. I like them enough that I got a couple extra.

Probably gonna drop the 2nd run from my bag. Still paranoid to throw it where I might lose it and I'm tentative throwing it sometimes. All of my TL3 are around 170g. Might try a max weight to go with a kinda beat S-FD and call it good for fairway discs.

Question, Did they ever make a GLOW TL3? Or a White Star TL3? I only use white drivers in the summer and looking for a really nice straight fairway disc.

Question, Did they ever make a GLOW TL3? Or a White Star TL3? I only use white drivers in the summer and looking for a really nice straight fairway disc.

I have a Glow Champ TL, but dunno about a Glow TL3. I have a White Star TL3 (no, I'm not giving it up, so sorry), so they're out there...

I have a Glow Champ TL, but dunno about a Glow TL3. I have a White Star TL3 (no, I'm not giving it up, so sorry), so they're out there...

Cool. No worries I'm not that in need of more discs. How does the Champ Glow TL compare to the Star TL3?

Cool. No worries I'm not that in need of more discs. How does the Champ Glow TL compare to the Star TL3?

The Champ Glow TL was pretty much like every other Champ TL that I've thrown: relatively more overstable than the Star TLs, never beats in (and it wasn't for lack of trying on my part). My Star TL3s were a bit more like my Star TLs... maybe a bit faster, but not particularly so, IIRC. You're reminding me that I need to take my TLs and TL3s to the range to practice with and refresh my memory on the comparisons... :popcorn:

I really never thought this day would come. I've been throwing Eagles since I started playing disc golf 4 years ago. They have always been my favorite discs and I never thought I would replace them. Well, late last year, I noticed that my Eagles were fading too hard at the end of their flights - especially on wooded courses which my home courses are mostly wooded. Because of this, I decided to mess around with a different fairway that offered a straighter flight with less fade. After some research and reading through threads I decided to start with the TL3.

I picked up a used star and factory second star and g-star TL3s. I didn't love any of them at first. I couldn't get them to be consistent in their flights. However, over the last few months, I've come to absolutely LOVE them. So much so that on wooded courses I leave all my Eagles out of the bag and use the star and g-star TL3 to devastating effect. What I found with the TL3 is that I don't need the power that I do with my set of Eagles. In fact, I back off from throwing about 80% to somewhere around 70% or so. This allows me to aim and hit small gaps easier and more consistently than I was used to with the Eagles. I'm still learning all the angles with the g-star TL3 but it can go dead straight, small turn to small fade, slight turnover to small fade, turnover to the ground, sweeping anny - I have not thrown one fairway that can fly as many different lines as well as this g-star TL3 can. The star TL3 offers more stability so I can throw a slight hyzer line that punches forward and then offers a solid but very controllable fade. I've also found that the star TL3 does in a 10-15 MPH headwind what the g-star TL3 does in the woods - which is anything except hyzer lines.

So this post got very long but suffice it to say I've fallen in love with the TL3. I'm bagging 2 (star and g-star) and on open courses I'm supplementing it with a newer star Eagle for harder hyzer lines and stronger headwinds for which I don't want to step up to a Firebird (basically only on more open courses). Excited to play the Spring, Summer and Fall seasons with this lineup.:thmbup:

I really never thought this day would come. I've been throwing Eagles since I started playing disc golf 4 years ago. They have always been my favorite discs and I never thought I would replace them. Well, late last year, I noticed that my Eagles were fading too hard at the end of their flights - especially on wooded courses which my home courses are mostly wooded. Because of this, I decided to mess around with a different fairway that offered a straighter flight with less fade. After some research and reading through threads I decided to start with the TL3.

I picked up a used star and factory second star and g-star TL3s. I didn't love any of them at first. I couldn't get them to be consistent in their flights. However, over the last few months, I've come to absolutely LOVE them. So much so that on wooded courses I leave all my Eagles out of the bag and use the star and g-star TL3 to devastating effect. What I found with the TL3 is that I don't need the power that I do with my set of Eagles. In fact, I back off from throwing about 80% to somewhere around 70% or so. This allows me to aim and hit small gaps easier and more consistently than I was used to with the Eagles. I'm still learning all the angles with the g-star TL3 but it can go dead straight, small turn to small fade, slight turnover to small fade, turnover to the ground, sweeping anny - I have not thrown one fairway that can fly as many different lines as well as this g-star TL3 can. The star TL3 offers more stability so I can throw a slight hyzer line that punches forward and then offers a solid but very controllable fade. I've also found that the star TL3 does in a 10-15 MPH headwind what the g-star TL3 does in the woods - which is anything except hyzer lines.

So this post got very long but suffice it to say I've fallen in love with the TL3. I'm bagging 2 (star and g-star) and on open courses I'm supplementing it with a newer star Eagle for harder hyzer lines and stronger headwinds for which I don't want to step up to a Firebird (basically only on more open courses). Excited to play the Spring, Summer and Fall seasons with this lineup.:thmbup:

The Star TL3 is a super under rated disc. It has been my favorite fairway since it came out. I feel like it would be more popular if it had a unique name.

Don't know if you know this but the Infinite Discs Exodus is the Eagle-L mold. If you were looking for an eagle that doesnt fade as hard. Sorry to complicate your disc search.

The Star TL3 is a super under rated disc. It has been my favorite fairway since it came out. I feel like it would be more popular if it had a unique name.

You may be onto something there. I do like throwing "Eagles" and "Thunderbirds" and "Wraiths." TL3 just doesn't have the same ring to it. But the disc is SUPER good. Straight with minimal fade at fairway speed and distance - a really unique combination.

Don't know if you know this but the Infinite Discs Exodus is the Eagle-L mold. If you were looking for an eagle that doesnt fade as hard. Sorry to complicate your disc search.

Thanks for the reply. I actually did know that and I have beat up Eagles and a couple Eagle L's but they still retain a decent fade at the end. For example, I have a perfectly seasoned Eagle that flies like -1, 2 in terms of turn and fade. I can get it to do a lot of things (turnovers, straight etc) but I can't get it to stop fading more than I need because it just retains a LITTLE too much fade. The beat-up TL3 has the same turn but less fade than an Eagle-L or beat-in Eagle. Instead of fading out as hard it just falls with less lateral movement.