• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Too much wind?

Okay, I was over simplifying it by saying you can ignore the wind by pulling out those specific discs. Of course you have to take the wind into account when selecting what disc to throw. Even something overstable with an incredibly predictable flight path is going to be affected differently in a tailwind versus a headwind.

I am in no disputing what your disc is doing, I am not there and I have not seen you throw, but I am not a noodle-arm (nor a canon either) and I do not get the XXX to flip. I barely get it to turn on a clean, flat release (175g Opto). I can force it over on anhyzer and it will obviously flip back into a fade, but regardless of conditions I know I can trust it. In a way, that trust reinforces the argument that it involves more skill than what disc you throw.

If there is a grand and over-simplified statement I am making, there are some great stable to overstable fairway drivers that can be trusted to get acceptable results despite of the wind. You may lose some distance, but you do not have to sacrifice much accuracy. The variable of wind may not actually be removed, but the variable of where it should land the majority of time despite the varying conditions is better controlled.

My order of trust in my bag goes like this (high to low):

Drivers - XXX - Force - Sword - Boatman - TeeBird - King - River

Mids - Drone - Roc - Axis - Meteor

Putters - I do not trust any putters in the wind. I had a Zone that was decent, but it was not that much shorter than my Drone and thus created a lot of overlap. I used to carry a Pig, but they had no glide in the wind which defeated the purpose of putting.

Fair enough! I hope I didn't come across as combative - I read over my first post and felt it was a bit snooty. The XXX IS one of the most predictable discs in a headwind, and maybe the wind was going faster than I thought when it was flipping. Being in NH, we don't see a whole heck of a lot of high speed wind...

There are three shots I've learned for dealing with strong headwind since moving to Texas. One is a spike hyzer with a severely overstable disc, like a Firebird. Another is a floater across the ground with a stable disc, like a teebird. Still another is just a powered down shot with something like a roc. But I don't have much luck trying to guess which driver is the perfect amount of over stable to throw it hard and flat into the wind, and it's not uncommon to have wind strong enough to flip a firebird thrown flat. But I've used those first two shots successfully in 48 mph wind with gusts stronger than that. That floater shot across the ground really only works in strong wind, btw. The faster air across the top allows the slow air trapped under the disc to act as a cushion of air pressure, so it floats so close to ground that the surface keeps the disc from turning.

As far as putting in the wind, I actually prefer to use my most understable, beat up wizards that I putt with on any other day. When putting into the wind (inside 50' or so anyway), it is usually best to embrace it and be confident in what it will do to your disc rather than try and fight it with something you may be unfamiliar with in my opinion. Get a basket and take it out every time you get a chance in the wind and do your regular putting drills with your regular putters.

Yeah, I've embraced that putting into headwind requires powering way down and just floating the putter out there a little nose up. On a crosswind, though, I still show the top of the flight plate to the wind. Tailwind is putt hard and nose up.

Club down, don't throw hard, and focus on hitting the line. The video below was filmed at Aquatic Park and the wind this day was sustained 20-25mph and we had gusts that were easily in the 40mph range. Driving and approaching should be the easiest shots IMHO I find putting to be the most challenging with extreme winds.

I used an Ion, Buzzz, and a Firebird for almost every drive and the same goes with the guy in the black shirt he was throwing a DGA Shockwave and Firebirds.

Last edited:
Played in a league this Tuesday when we had 45mph gusts and 25mph sustained winds. I think the winning score was 5 strokes higher than the previous week, and it's a doubles league, so that's a big jump. Everyone is going to struggle in those conditions, but once you learn to play the wind, you'll have a big advantage over those who aren't good at it.

The biggest issue to keep in mind is that if the wind hits the bottom of your disc, it's going for a ride. If it hits the top, it's going to drill it into the ground. You can use that to your advantage. If you need extra carry, throw a shot that will expose the bottom of your disc to the wind. If you don't want to go long, throw a shot that exposes the top of the disc a little harder than normal, and let the wind push it down close to the basket. This is particularly important on short up shots, where you really need to be parked under the basket for an easy drop-in putt. If you let the wind hit the bottom of your disc, you'll have no control over where it lands.

Any wobble on your shots will absolutely kill you, so eliminating that is top priority. Beyond that, keep your shots low, throw overstable plastic when you need to, and learn to throw understable stuff in tailwinds.

Did you play at millstream by chance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm_ovgD-QP4&feature=g-upl&context=G2e642a0AUAAAAAAADAA

This is a video we shot a few years back at Lochness (Blaine, MN). I may not have been taking my putting practice serious, but I was not purposely missing either. Look at the trees swaying to see how much the wind was affecting everything.

When we were playing for real later in the day, I missed a ten foot putt because it was lifted over the basket and then whipped behind me, placing me forty feet behind where I just putted from.

Here's a pretty helpful resource about playing in windy conditions. After reading it, my disc selection almost relies entirely on wind speed/direction. Here are some of the basics:

Headwind: overstable disc with just enough height (not too high, not too low)
Tailwind: understable disc with a slight anhyzer release angle
Left-to-Right: stable to understable disc; slight anhyzer with plenty of height
Right-to-Left: very stable disc; level release and line drive

I carry a Vector(175g) and Predator(170-172g) in my small bag.. I noticed my big bag had nothing so I picked up a Vector(180g) & Predator(172g).. Problem solved my friend. These two discs can handle a decent headwind. I throw when I want. If it's strong wind, snow, rain, or sunshine. Have discs for every situation.

I've gone out the last couple days to throw a round but had 15-25+ mph gusting winds - I couldn't get anything within 50' of a wide open 230' hole that I use to warm up and can usually get in two. I'd try to throw flat and it would flip & burn. The next throw I'd try to compensate with more hyzer and it would hook horribly when the wind got under the edge and blow it away. Even throwing with the wind it would just beat the disc down and I couldn't throw much more than 225'. :wall: I tried a roller and it hooked around and actually started rolling back towards me!! :wall:

I just packed up my discs and went home.

Got any suggestions on how to deal with high winds (so I don't whimp out) or is it best not to fight it, go home and grab a beer.

Lately Loriella has been mean with the wind. The thing is that it's not consistent wind, but swarming wind. Hard to read.

My all MVP bag HATES the wind. Everything with a blunt nose = really poor headwind distance.

Wow, I am really coming across as contradictory today.

I was out at Elk River in a steady 15+mph with gusts around 20 or so. In a tailwind the Axis just flat out bombed. In a headwind, it was a little tricker. I could only keep about 50 percent on target. The others ditched out a little early but still left me in a playable position. I even dared crossing over water in a headwind. I do not know why I dared, but I made it (albeit barely). The Anodes did decent in a tailwind and crosswind, but I had no control of them into a headwind. One in three shots went in the direction I wanted.

Maybe what helped here is that I know that course fairly well in the wind and know how I should throw to beat it.

Here's a pretty helpful resource about playing in windy conditions. After reading it, my disc selection almost relies entirely on wind speed/direction. Here are some of the basics:

Headwind: overstable disc with just enough height (not too high, not too low)
Tailwind: understable disc with a slight anhyzer release angle
Left-to-Right: stable to understable disc; slight anhyzer with plenty of height
Right-to-Left: very stable disc; level release and line drive

Are you left handed?

Yea, the MVP line holds up well in cross/head winds. And really, the only thing I can complain about in headwinds is D. But boy oh boy do I lose D. Like 50'.

Wind is a funny thing that you kind of have to play again and again before you think you figure it out and then realize that you still don't know how to play in the wind. I have heard a lot of theories on what your should do but as most of the suggestions on here have been, overstable stuff is the best. The idea is that the overstable stuff want to get to the ground as fast as it can so even if you show the bottom of the disc to the wind it is still going to want to get to the ground and is therefore more predictable.

Play a lot in the wind and the wind becomes a good friend.

Playing half my rounds in west Texas and the other half in the DFW area has given me a lot of opportunity to learn.

Throw as low as possible in crosswinds. Throw flat with discs that are more stable than you usually would throw. You will find that you can throw lasers with Vectors, newer Rocs or Wasps. (etc) in this situation. Teebirds, Avengers and Strikers (etc) are good fairways. In crosswinds, I tend to stay away from warp speed drivers because of their unpredictability.

ONLY throw as low as possible in headwinds. Throw something both faster and more overstable than you would in "normal" conditions. Preds, Firebirds, XCals, Blitzes, Monsters etc. Throw flat (and low) and let the disc "fight" the wind. This is the best time to whip out those overstable warp speed drivers because the headwind "gets them up to speed" and they will fly straighter (for noodle arms like me). If you throw these discs regularly, power down with them. I will repeat... you must throw low into the wind.

Tailwinds are great for understable discs. The tailwind will make a disc act more overstable, so slower understable discs thrown higher than normal will be predictable. Slower because the tailwind reduces the relative speed the disc is travelling through the air as opposed to a headwind increasing it. Almost all putters and mids like the Fuse, Stingray, Meteor or Axis work well with the wind. Fairways (domey if you have them) like the Leopard, Diamond, Vision (Diamond has more dome than the Vision), Glide, Impact etc. are fun. If you have a big gun and want to (I think waste your time, but) throw a distance driver, the new blizzard discs, Bolts, Vulcans etc would be "best".

Watch the trees right before you throw. They are your best indication of wind gusts. Wait for the gust to pass unless you're riding one during a tailwind.

It takes a lot of practice.

As for putting, slower and flatter into the wind and crosswinds. Higher and faster with the wind. If it's into an insane wind, turn that Pred, Firebird or Boss over and putt with it upside down. They will cut through the wind better than anything else and if a gust hits them they will drive to the ground.

As with any other skill, practice will make you better. Don't stay in just because it's windy.

Play a lot in the wind and the wind becomes a good friend.

Playing half my rounds in west Texas and the other half in the DFW area has given me a lot of opportunity to learn.

Throw as low as possible in crosswinds. Throw flat with discs that are more stable than you usually would throw. You will find that you can throw lasers with Vectors, newer Rocs or Wasps. (etc) in this situation. Teebirds, Avengers and Strikers (etc) are good fairways. In crosswinds, I tend to stay away from warp speed drivers because of their unpredictability.

ONLY throw as low as possible in headwinds. Throw something both faster and more overstable than you would in "normal" conditions. Preds, Firebirds, XCals, Blitzes, Monsters etc. Throw flat (and low) and let the disc "fight" the wind. This is the best time to whip out those overstable warp speed drivers because the headwind "gets them up to speed" and they will fly straighter (for noodle arms like me). If you throw these discs regularly, power down with them. I will repeat... you must throw low into the wind.

Tailwinds are great for understable discs. The tailwind will make a disc act more overstable, so slower understable discs thrown higher than normal will be predictable. Slower because the tailwind reduces the relative speed the disc is travelling through the air as opposed to a headwind increasing it. Almost all putters and mids like the Fuse, Stingray, Meteor or Axis work well with the wind. Fairways (domey if you have them) like the Leopard, Diamond, Vision (Diamond has more dome than the Vision), Glide, Impact etc. are fun. If you have a big gun and want to (I think waste your time, but) throw a distance driver, the new blizzard discs, Bolts, Vulcans etc would be "best".

Watch the trees right before you throw. They are your best indication of wind gusts. Wait for the gust to pass unless you're riding one during a tailwind.

It takes a lot of practice.

As for putting, slower and flatter into the wind and crosswinds. Higher and faster with the wind. If it's into an insane wind, turn that Pred, Firebird or Boss over and putt with it upside down. They will cut through the wind better than anything else and if a gust hits them they will drive to the ground.

As with any other skill, practice will make you better. Don't stay in just because it's windy.

This ^ I agree with pretty much all of this! Playing in SoDak means playing in tons of wind, and I would have to agree with this. I have not tried putting with my Predator tho... Now I'm gonna have to try it out.

I also agree with all of this. Haven't tried the upside down putting. I was putting with a Roc in the wind the other day. It did alright. Better than my Avair, and Star Aviar Driver were doing they were getting blown all over the place it was a killer. I just kept throwing my Roc low if I was too far to confidently put it in from say 20' out. (I suck at putting even morso in wind)

I've been telling people they should try to putt with their disc upside down. Practice it some to see what it does to the flight. Great into the wind and it will never sail or roll away.

I don't suggest using it all the time but having it as a shot is a good idea.