• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Too tall?

AcBatt

I understand your concerns about the new hole. Construction pics looked nice and thought the basket wold be placed on the new level area. What is magical about 12"?

44907_10150276251355483_550940482_14944666_6597700_n.jpg

The soil is never going to grow grass with the traffic and when it rains it will be another Lafayette slippery slope. This grand master will need those handicapped bathroom rails to complete the hole on a dry day. May have to crawl up on all fours and butt slide down during South Louisiana's 8 rainy months. Nothing wrong with creating a challenge but this one is a bit over the top.

steve timm

Looks like fun. there is a smaller version at Sylmar

Whats up with the camo tire? Don't you want the basket to stand out?

NOHalffastpull said:
AcBatt

I understand your concerns about the new hole. Construction pics looked nice and thought the basket wold be placed on the new level area. What is magical about 12"?

The soil is never going to grow grass with the traffic and when it rains it will be another Lafayette slippery slope. This grand master will need those handicapped bathroom rails to complete the hole on a dry day. May have to crawl up on all fours and butt slide down during South Louisiana's 8 rainy months. Nothing wrong with creating a challenge but this one is a bit over the top.

steve timm

I have no idea why they decided on 12" being the magical number. I don't know if it was Pat Daniels or Vic that decided on this, I just know that Vic was the one that told me about it. I helped the first day with laying out the logs. The posts were already done. When we layed the railroad ties down, I thought that that was going to be ground level. Which to me seems reasonable. But to build a mound up, and put the basket extended even further from the peak of the mound is just overkill. Like you said, the grass will probably not grow on the mound, so I think erosion is going to be a serious problem probably just months from now.

I thought the early pics looked like it would be a fun hole, it is a little bit much though. These types of holes don't reward skill at all, because it will be nearly impossible to make an approach shot stick under the basket on that slope. Days when it's rainy or the ground is soft you'll just have to throw a spike hyzer with a warp speed driver and hope it sticks in the soft earth! :lol:

Ronnie switched out the basket for a hanging one on #9 of the Blair Witch (Badlands) not too long ago. It seems more of a gimmick than an actual useful change.

I haven't played badlands since they put baskets in on the back. I miss that course. That hole can have some decent wind, that would be my biggest worry about hanging baskets, not sure I would like a moving target.

Like someone else said earlier, I don't mind the fact that its elevated - I just don't like that the actual pole/basket is going to be significantly higher off the ground than usual. And I'm actually kind of surprised that the PDGA doesn't regulate something like that (I.E. some part of the bucket must be within X amount of inches from the ground) Maybe they do? Someone enlighten me?

Because that looks like it would exclude children or people of unusually short stature from being able to recover their putter from the basket :lol: . As soon as I saw it I just pictures some short 10 year old banging a putt and being like "shit, now what?" :x :lol:

I agree, it just looks funny, and may defy function a little. Build up the ground and have a nice knoll and it would be a sweet pin.