• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tournament footage preferences

Great discussion. Those of you producing videos are welcome to drop me a note if you are interested in adding your creations to upcoming episodes of Disc Golf Live video magazine. DGL is broadcast in communities across the country and we welcome others to add their voices to the mix in order to promote their local courses, events, players, etc. We have enjoyed submissions from CCDG, "the Euros," ClashDVD, Vibram, and many others through the year's the show has been in production. Others are always welcome.

Part 1 of the most recent episode:

Take care,

Joe

Update: I've cut the two camera angles together for two holes and I'm running into what could be more than a slight problem. For two holes the initial cut was over 10 minutes long (including the opening frame for the introductions). I'm realizing now that this might be a longer video than what most people like (me included) due to this being a 24 hole layout final round and a 5 man lead card.

Here's another question. Should I just break it up into two 12 hole sections and post it that way? Either way, what would everyone consider a good runtime for each section so the videos remain watchable and not like an extended, scenes added, credits included, super special directors cut of "Lord of the Rings"?

Update: I've cut the two camera angles together for two holes and I'm running into what could be more than a slight problem. For two holes the initial cut was over 10 minutes long (including the opening frame for the introductions). I'm realizing now that this might be a longer video than what most people like (me included) due to this being a 24 hole layout final round and a 5 man lead card.

Here's another question. Should I just break it up into two 12 hole sections and post it that way? Either way, what would everyone consider a good runtime for each section so the videos remain watchable and not like an extended, scenes added, credits included, super special directors cut of "Lord of the Rings"?

You're looking at a 2-hour video (a feature length film) or two 1-hour videos.

Cut it down. Nobody is going to watch it. Aim for 15min. for 12 holes to start.

Agree with JT. What exactly are you including that the video is winding up that long? I would think 5-6 seconds per player's shot would be more than adequate (shows just their run-up, throw and the flight/result of the disc). 5 players X ~3 shots each = ~1-1.5 minutes per hole, presuming you cut out any drop-ins at the end and have a screen with the updated scoreboard inserted in as well.

I would think at that rate, you should be in the 12-15 minute ballpark for half the round (12 holes). Remember, the primary purpose of editing is to cut out the non-action parts of the round. We don't need to see the players milling/joking around or searching their bags for the right disc or their mini or what-not. Action, action, action. :)

9 holes should be ~25-30 minutes by the CCDG standard. 24 holes should be more like 1:20. You should split it into 2 or 3 episodes.

Personally, I don't mind a bit of extra fluff if its interesting. Like some shots of the Gallery walking up when the Masters are in the gallery (e.g. Ken Climo, Barry Shultz), or to stop at one long tee and get slo-mos of the Pros with commentary (I'm just stealing things CCDG did here).

9 holes should be ~25-30 minutes by the CCDG standard. 24 holes should be more like 1:20. You should split it into 2 or 3 episodes.

Personally, I don't mind a bit of extra fluff if its interesting. Like some shots of the Gallery walking up when the Masters are in the gallery (e.g. Ken Climo, Barry Shultz), or to stop at one long tee and get slo-mos of the Pros with commentary (I'm just stealing things CCDG did here).

You're really going to spend almost 90 minutes of your day watching amateur footage? I'd turn it off after 10 minutes max.

(no offense intended to geoseleth or other videographers by that statement, it's more a comment on means and resources, not necessarily skills)

Personally I prefer music to narration. If it sucks its not tough to mute it, whether its bad commentary or bad music. I hate narrating videos though....don't mind watching narrated ones, but I feel like a tool when I narrate my own haha.

You're really going to spend almost 90 minutes of your day watching amateur footage? I'd turn it off after 10 minutes max.

(no offense intended to geoseleth or other videographers by that statement, it's more a comment on means and resources, not necessarily skills)

I have done so, yes. Typically not Am, but I have. e.g.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CnllS67ZzQ&list=PL9717C918701E5469

My favorite DG coverage to date is the 2013 Masters Cup, which are Pros, and at my home course, so I'm biased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_krQnzGZoo0&list=PLbnvbtJ11PvHbohvyJDDj9a8p3JpNWKxM

I also have to admit, I typically like to watch when I can finally relax, late at night, often rubbing my wife's feet while she falls asleep. And I have fallen asleep myself on more than one occasion. Doesn't detract from the fact that I really enjoy watching it, and look forward to new stuff when it comes out.

Gonna subscribe to your channel and see what your coverage is like now.

I have done so, yes. Typically not Am, but I have. e.g.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CnllS67ZzQ&list=PL9717C918701E5469

My favorite DG coverage to date is the 2013 Masters Cup, which are Pros, and at my home course, so I'm biased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_krQnzGZoo0&list=PLbnvbtJ11PvHbohvyJDDj9a8p3JpNWKxM

I also have to admit, I typically like to watch when I can finally relax, late at night, often rubbing my wife's feet while she falls asleep. And I have fallen asleep myself on more than one occasion. Doesn't detract from the fact that I really enjoy watching it, and look forward to new stuff when it comes out.

Gonna subscribe to your channel and see what your coverage is like now.

Re-read my post though, you're attributing the adjective to the wrong noun ;)

I'll take more subscribers and views. There's only one video though, because I got picked up by SpinTV shortly thereafter...eventually I will do some more cuts for that channel, but Spin keeps me busy right now.

Also, what up Santa Cruz...you've probably seen me before and didn't realize it :)

OK ya, I gotcha now. You are probably right on that.

I very much enjoy TheSpinTV as well. They certainly make the videos there more engaging to watch, with music, shorter clips, fast paced , etc. but I also enjoy relaxing and watching a whole round with commentary - just seeing what the Pros do in different positions, or learning about other courses.

What up! Maybe I have, you look familiar. I'm the one playing Dela first thing in the morning :) We probably know of the same people. Like Ben Baker, who would be jealous of your SpinTV job :p I'm DG buddies with his Dad, but I don't play much socially beyond a few friends. Gonna try to get into Tournaments one of these days.

I've cut out all the drop-ins and gimme putts. If I remember the score card from after there was a minimum of 70 shots per player. I'm trying to cut down on the players lining up the shots as much as I can without the instant shot happening right after the cut. It'll have to be in two parts at least and want to keep each to 30 minutes. I think the part that's adding time quickly is having two camera angles. I'm not including the full shot from each but I think having the whole throw (most of the time) is adding those extra few seconds to each shot.

I'm reworking the first two holes to find out what extra I can cut down. It doesn't help that they were both 550-650' difficult holes where only a couple players scored a 3.

Thanks again to everyone for the input. Keep it coming.

Just cut down the first two holes and they'll run about 5:30 including the intro screen. This should put the 24 hole round somewhere around the 65-70 minute mark once the "here's where they're aiming" still and the "current scores" scene.

I'll probably break it up into two parts. Sound like the better way to go?

Check out Gneiss Shot Productions on youtube. I'm almost done with the first three holes and I'll probably post it up to get some feedback. It won't have any commentary, scores, or hole location pictures. It should be up in an hour or two. I'll take it down Monday so that should give people enough time to voice some feedback.

Main thing I need to know is if the scene cutting works, or needs to be shorter (or longer).