• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Troubles with Leopard

FlyingFartlek

Hello all, I've been lurking here for a month or so and finally decided to post now. Hopefully I don't get prerubed for this, but I recently disced down and bought a 150 Leopard and a Roc to work on my form. I, like many others, started out throwing warp speed discs that were way too fast and heavy for me. I ended up developing terrible form just trying to get those discs to go anywhere.

Anyways, when I practice in an open field, I'm having a lot of trouble with the Leopard. Whenever I try to put any juice on it, it flips over and goes waaay right. The only solution I've found is to put what feels like way too much hyzer on it to hyzer-flip it, but this only works like half the time, as the other half of those throws end up meat-hooking. My best throw with it is only ~300 feet as well, so I really doubt I'm overpowering it. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Also, go easy on a new poster :)

Welcome!

Well as a disc gets beat up it becomes more understable (that's the flies way right you described). You already took the short fix and started throwing a hyzerflip. This is a great shot to learn. Keep practicing this one.

The base line plastic tends to get beat up faster. I would suggest getting a star-leo in the mid 160s. This will not beat in as fast and the added weight should give it a bit more stability. I've heard that the champion leopards are more resistant to turning over but cannot confirm that myself.

Good luck to ya~!

If its going right and not coming back its OAT.

Over Axis Torque.

Also to address this, if the disc is new(ish) Osmo is quite likely correct.

What type of plastic is your Leopard?

150s like smooth not hard. You should be able to put a leopard out to 300 easy at 70% power with just a little bit of hyzer. Id say you are rolling your wrist, OAT. Try stand still throws with not too much power. SMOOTH IS FAR especially with lighter weight discs. leopards are also nose angle sensitive, so keep that in mind.

Is the leopard dx? try a champ or star too. Keep with the leopards they are magical once you dial them in.

It sounds like you have very inconsistent form. When you try to put some real power on it, you have a lot of OAT causing it to turn over. When you focus on the release angle, you end up with less power and sometimes not even enough to get it to flip.

Try setting up a camera to capture video of a succession of throws. The inconsistency is a lot easier to recognize from the outside looking in. So take some video of your throws so you can better see how each one varies. If you want, post some videos here too to get some advice.

I throw a champ 167 Leo and it flies in a nice S-curve. It was the only disc I could get to fly understable until I discovered the River. I'm not telling you to buy a River because you shouldn't yet. Focus on throwing smooth and don't worry about how far it's going yet. Putting that much power on a 150 class disc is at least part of the problem. Those things get away from me too because I have a hard time adjusting to such a light weight.

A 150 Leopard should turn right. This is normal. If you don't want it to then get a heavier one or a TeeBird or both.

I carry 3 Star Leopards in different weights just for stability. I trade them out for a fresh one when they break in and start flipping.
150-Anny, 160-straight, and 170-lil fade.

That is the main reason I love the Leopard, any plastic, any weight. You want it? You can get it. :thmbup:

A 150 Leopard should turn right. This is normal. If you don't want it to then get a heavier one or a TeeBird or both.

it will only turn if you make it. 150 leos can be as stable as the heavier ones with no wind if thrown correctly. 150 class discs make oat show up more so that is likely the issue rather than the weight.

To answer a couple of your questions, the Leopard is DX and right now I'm barely getting the Roc to 200 feet. It's 165g and it acts way overstable for me (to the point that I can't really even flatten it out).

Also, how would I go about fixing OAT?

Hmmm fixing OAT. Are you using an x step? try no run up for a while concentrate on keeping the disc flat through the throwing plane or with a little bit of a hyzer angle. 165 roc is good keep working with that one. 225 250 with that. Try to not flatten out the roc. this is probably inducing OAT. Try to keep the roc straight with power not release angle. The dx leopard in 150 can be a bit gnarly to keep it going straight. How old is the leopard? 150 dx discs get beat super fast and that thing may only want to turn right depending on how beat up it is. If you like the leopard grab a 150 champ. It will be stable longer and is a great get out of trouble disc when your power increases. ymmv

Hmmm fixing OAT. Are you using an x step? try no run up for a while concentrate on keeping the disc flat through the throwing plane or with a little bit of a hyzer angle. 165 roc is good keep working with that one. 225 250 with that. Try to not flatten out the roc. this is probably inducing OAT. Try to keep the roc straight with power not release angle. The dx leopard in 150 can be a bit gnarly to keep it going straight. How old is the leopard? 150 dx discs get beat super fast and that thing may only want to turn right depending on how beat up it is. If you like the leopard grab a 150 champ. It will be stable longer and is a great get out of trouble disc when your power increases. ymmv

I bought the leopard and roc new two weeks ago and the majority of their use has been field work, so they're not hitting a bunch of trees and pavement. Also, thanks for the OAT tips, I'll try that when I get off work this evening.

it will only turn if you make it. 150 leos can be as stable as the heavier ones with no wind if thrown correctly. 150 class discs make oat show up more so that is likely the issue rather than the weight.

Really? I'm a bit confused here. Like some others on the thread, my first reaction was "It's a leopard, it's supposed to go right."

Surely some discs are more understable than others, and the Leopard's a classic new-player-friendly example, right?

Are you diagnosing OAT because it seems to be staying right, with no terminal fade back to the left?

Is this OAT the same, or a close cousin, to the "wrist flip" you apply when you _want_ to throw anhyzer?

wrist flip is inducing oat. While on purpose it is still OAT. so yes to that. Being a leopard lover i know the disc inside and out and can confirm without seeing it thrown that is is 99.8% likely to have OAT. The leopard will come back if thrown correctly, and its not too beat. I just took my semi beat 150 leo to the field to see if what i was saying was correct and I can still get that thing laser straight out to 300 with little to no effort. When i tried to throw harder it turned and burned. 150 class and dx leopards are a tricky mix.