• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tunnel Thrower

Crosseyed0811

Eagle Member
First time poster :)

I am a self diagnosed "Tunnel Thrower".. Every shot I throw is low, its just more comfortable/natural for me to do so. However this makes disc selection a slight bit different for me from what I can tell as most reviews/ratings are for people throwing with a much higher apex than myself. I know Valk's are pretty much given as a good driver for low "Tunnel" shots but what about other discs? What I'm looking for is midrange discs + the main 5 roles in drivers: (copying from other area of site for clarification)

1. Stable Control Driver – The stable control driver is the workhorse driver of your bag. This disc is usually a disc that is versatile enough to fly straight or on a hyzer/anhyzer line when needed. Stable control drivers are generally (but not always) accurate and predictable discs that are not ultra-high-speed drivers.

2. Distance Driver - The distance driver can be stable, understable, or overstable depending upon which throwing style gives you the most power. The idea behind this disc is that it will give you maximum distance when accuracy is not the primary concern.

3. Understable Driver – The understable driver is a disc that can hold a right turn. This disc will generally be used for a variety of shots, including finesse hyzer flips, turnovers, rollers, and some trick shots.

4. Moderately Overstable Driver – The moderately overstable driver could also be classified as a "pro stable" driver. This is a disc that will fly stable at high speeds and moderately overstable at low speeds. Its use will be on long hyzer shots, mild to moderate headwinds, and can be used for utility shots as well.

5. Very Overstable Driver – The very overstable driver will often see a lot of action. This is a disc that is stable to overstable at high speeds, and very overstable at low speeds. With this disc, stability and predictability holds the premium over distance. Its use will be for strong hyzer shots, strong headwinds, and an array of skip shots and trick shots.

PS Please stick to Innova molds as anything else is hard to come by where I'm from. Oh, and disc overlap is nice as well, anywhere one disc can cover multiples in the 5 listed above I take that as a plus!

Thanks!

Keeping it no higher than 6-10ft helps keep it from wandering too far off line too...

Poke around the user control panel, if we know where you are then maybe you'll luck into field mooching some throws before you buy, and if you put your current bag in the sig line, we know what you already have.

Innova Viper is a good Predator/Firebird light. It does not have the huge power/speed needs to straighten out, but still fights wind well and is determined to fade back for good line shaping. Varied arm speed with maintained snap spin lets you use it from mid to fairway distance.

Eagle is less stable but still certainly fades back.
TBird is still decent high speed stable but finishes much more straight at the end.
For mids, get 3 DX Rancho Rocs and beat at least one into less stable to compliment the other non-basher.
Maybe a Leopard if you need a turnover driver.

Discraft is not hard to find in stores, nor is mail ordering the Discmania P and S PD driver pairing, Latitude 64 Fuse and Pain mid pair, or MVP Ion and Vector pairing. And if you never played putter driver with the S Wizard from Gateway...

To keep it all innova and simple, I'd play 2 rocs, tbird, viper. Extra simple 1 roc and 1 eagle. Buy them in pairs so when you wonder if it's your throw changing or the disc wear/flight, you can compare. DX is cheaper than not knowing.

1. TeeBird

2. New Pro Destroyer

3. Beat Pro Destroyer/RoadRunner

4. Discmania PD (Innova handles Discmania in the States so should be pretty easy to find). If you're not looking for a distance driver category disc the Eagle-X.

5. Depending on the speed either an Firebird or an XCal.

EDIT: By the way, what sort of distances do you throw? It'd make this easier.

Thanks for the replies, made a few Account updates :)

Also Literally NO Discraft stuff here in Rock Hill in stores as Innova having a presence here sways all the DG merchants in their direction.

Distances I'm never quite sure on what numbers to attach to it, but I think its safe to say I drive over 300'

My CURRENT bag is slimmed down a LOT, I have Firebirds for all my overstable needs (thumbers, forehands, skip shots, a beat dx for headwinds), my teebirds which tend to be my most used driver, Discraft Avenger SS for longer stuff/understable (I know, I know... I ordered them offline, but I prefer to support the local folks) then my rocs and aviars for mids/putts...

Want to try replacing the Avenger SS's with valks sometime soon, never thrown many valks but I've had lots of people recommend them recently for distance with low trajectory.

I once had a really beat in Pro Destroyer that I hyzer flipped for probably my longest throw ever, however its become too beat now to be of use for much. And I've actually gotten to where I dislike the larger rims even with my fairly large hands...

Oh, at around 300' disregard everything above the TeeBird and Eagle.
1. TeeBird

2. Valkyrie, or perhaps the TD if Discmania is available.

3. Leopard

4. Eagle-X

5. Banshee/Firebird

I must say that list looks rather nice, what about mids though? I tend to throw rocs but am I getting the most of out of a low trajectory throw using a roc?

Thanks for the feedback, you guys rock

Crosseyed0811 said:
I must say that list looks rather nice, what about mids though? I tend to throw rocs but am I getting the most of out of a low trajectory throw using a roc?

you could probably throw a buzzz farther than a roc on a low line

Off the top of my head i'm not sure if Innova has significantly longer mid type discs or tweeners that would fly significantly longer than the Roc. DGA Squall, Gateway Sabre and shortest of them all and most mid like but with guaranteed fade late in the throw flat topped MVP Vector should work for tunnels and are longer on low lines than Rocs and the suggested Buzzz. If you go Buzzz X is straight but is less stable than Z which is less stable than Glo Z.

Unless you can control Innova Kite. That requires fairly good finesse.

Rocs don't really shine on low lines. A Mako or Coyote could work better for straight shots and anhyzer, but I'm not so sure that have a glidey overstable mid that likes low lines... (Additionally, if Discmania is indeed available, the S-Line MD2 is better than either the Mako or Coyote, and from what I hear most of the production C-Line MD2s are on the overstable side so they could fill in that slot, at least a little.)

Crosseyed0811 said:

It's a pretty old school list, but every single mold on there is tried and true. =)

jubuttib said:
It's a pretty old school list, but every single mold on there is tried and true. =)

I must say I like old school... Not been a fan of many of the newer molds I've thrown compared to the older stuff. Almost seems like they've run out of good ideas, but honestly how many "good" discs are possible?

And for mids I do like my Coyote, but always go back to my Rocs because I feel like (from ratings/reputation, not experience) that the Coyote isn't as versatile. Thanks for the other mid tips too, I'll play around with some of these ideas but I think you guys have helped out a lot and confirmed some of my own suspicions and thoughts.

Coyote isn't as versatile as a Roc. It doesn't start out as overstable so it can't be beat in to cover such a wide variety of shots. Also the beadless discs have a greater tendency to lose HSS before they lose LSS.

Orc or pro wraith for Distance

Valk or TeeBird for stable to understable

Firebird for overstable, mebe a whippet for shorter overstable needs and both are good for overhead/trick shots

TL or Leopard for understable

a few DX rocs and maybe the TL for those longer low ceiling shots that the roc cant reach

I am a noob but I can speak on one aspect of this Q - my nephew who introduced me to DG last month uses a Valk and I like it but the Champion Beast has almost the same flight characteristics and it is faster and goes farther for me.