• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

turbo putting

tigel

Double Eagle Member
I currently have two star Aviar P&A putters. I can turbo confidently 20- feet. I'm working on 25 right now but my accuracy is way off compared to anything within 20. It got me thinking, is there a better putter for turbos? Better yet, what should I look for when finding a disc I want to turbo? A very understable...putter? haha.

turboputt.jpg

id say just learn how to actually putt, I can count the number of pros that turbo putt on zero hands

i knew someone would chime in with some obscure guy who throws turbos.....in any case turbos are pretty janky, ive seen the one guy i know who turbos around here get his putter blown out of his hand several times when he was just squaring up to putt :lol:

Jesse B 707 said:
id say just learn how to actually putt, I can count the number of pros that turbo putt on zero hands

honestly, just because a pro doesn't do it doesn't mean it can't be in one's bag of tricks. I can putt "normal" fairly well, just for some reason within 20 feet I feel more comfortable. I can still putt within 20, but sometimes I just prefer the turbo. Its also good when environment is in the way, rare, but good.

Mark martin is a hell of a disc golfer.

is that the turbo putter? is it pdga approved? haha

i do agree that its good to have a shot like that when you have to putt out of a bush or something

I putt normal most of the time, and turbo from inside trees or over bushes, practicing it out to about 20-25 ft has gained me one or two nice birds in the past week that wouldn't have worked with a pitch putt, and I like to butterfly inside 20'. Because it looks cool and is fun.

i honestly see nothing wrong with turbo putting, its a useful trick for shots that you can't quite use a normal putt on (bushes etc.) i honestly am awful at turbo putting, you'll find me trying to hyzer the putter way over the bush before you see me turbo putting it :wink:

inthedrift said:
What's butterfly?

I think it is when you hold it like you are going to turbo putt, but toss it over hand so the disc flys end over end?

Not sure, but I do that sometimes as well... usually out of frustration from less than 5' away :bag:

turbo putting is great for wooded rough courses where you might have an obstacle near the basket, and you end up behind it. i practice it now and then, and i've saved a stroke every odd round.

further than 20' out, i've found it does help to use a less stable disc; the disc will want to fade left to right for a righty using an aviar or wizard. you can just play the fade if you practice it, or try using a less stable disc. i use a beat pro-D buzzz sometimes. don't be afraid to try every disc you own, it's a trick shot to begin with so no worries if you putt with a roadrunner or something. if it goes in it's the right disc.

also, if you practice turbos now and then, use an obstacle. i set up my practice basket near a swing set to shoot over (and through for accuracy in trees).

John E McCray hits a few really nice long turbo putts on the new Clash DVD Cliff Stevens.

Yeah Jaysus, mostly a stupid frustration putt, but it's fun anyway. Once I used a really beat wizard and turbo'd on a steep downhill that only had to cover about 25 ft forward distance. My turbo has alot of spin but on much forward velocity, it just drifted straight down. It was cool and I'd try it again.

I played a tourney a few months back and witnessed an amazing turbo putter. He used it for just about every putt. Including jump putts!! This was really fun to watch. I wish I could remember the guys name. He was using a star xd and the grip that they showed in the latest PDGA magazine.

There is a local guy here in PDX that from 100 feet in it's a turbo. And he's deadly, in fact he sinks more 50+ footers than anyone I know. The Turbo disc was approved then rejected, doesn't matter to this guy he uses an Aviar.

Nobody answered Tigel's question: Do you find that understable putters work better/easier for turbo putts?

turbo putting is fun but i just learned how to do it today!!! i see that it is a good option if your follow thru might hit something a sign or tree/branch.