• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

turbo putting

Beetard said:
Nobody answered Tigel's question: Do you find that understable putters work better/easier for turbo putts?

Probably because nobody on here turbo putts well enough to give him an informed decision.

sorry, I've been in mexico for a missions trip. I'm back ;)

Thanks for all the comments and advice, and I understand if my questions don't get answered, its not a big deal. I know there aren't a lot of turbo putters out there and if I read a question on knetting, I wouldn't give it my best shot at answering it.. ha

I was wondering, does fade/turn/glide matter a whole lot when turbo'ing?? My normal putting isn't solid enough for me to see fade/turn/glide play a part but I know it does in some way. I'm thinking about trying an aero for the fact it has the most glide of all putters and I can see my current putter (aviar P&A big bead) vertically decreases at a fast rate, but will go straight then fade. I can just see how a high glide putter might benefit me more.

Also I'm considering a DX now because it seems like just a solid putter and I heard its shaped more like a driver, which I dont know if that will help or hurt me.

I have a friend who plays casually and he turbo putts sometimes...he carries a Soft Warlock and a SSS Magic. I've seen him nail turbos with both.

I turbo putt a lot and for me stable discs seem to be better. I used to use an Omega SS because I felt like I could get more grip, but after it got pretty beat I switched to using a KC Pro Aviar and it has worked well. I recently purchased a 10M Crossfire to experiment with for turbo putts and am liking it thus far. The Crossfire would be good for someone with smaller hands because the bump in the middle comes down further and would allow you to extend your fingers up over the nose of the disc a little more. Also, due to more weight being in the center of the disc it seems like I can create more spin.

As many have said the turbo putt is not for everyone, but it is very useful in going over low lying obstacles when no other putt is possible. It is not very useful beyond 20', but is handy to get out of sticky situations! Best of luck!

tigel said:
I was wondering, does fade/turn/glide matter a whole lot when turbo'ing?? My normal putting isn't solid enough for me to see fade/turn/glide play a part but I know it does in some way. I'm thinking about trying an aero for the fact it has the most glide of all putters and I can see my current putter (aviar P&A big bead) vertically decreases at a fast rate, but will go straight then fade. I can just see how a high glide putter might benefit me more.
Glide doesn't play much of a factor when turbo putting because it's such a short range shot. There are very few instances where you should try to use a turbo putt over 20'.

By all means, I'm no turbo putting pro, but what are the weights of your putters that you use? When me and a friend were messing around turbo putting, I noticed that I could get more distance with the heavier putter and really had to watch form. Since you're further out your natural instincts says to throw it harder w/ more of a baseball pitchers form (aka w/o spinning it).

Well, its been a while and I must say I'm getting the hang of it. I played terrible last week at a local tournament but I sank almost every putt within 30ft, all Turbo. I'm using a basic aviar putter now instead if my P&A aviar. It's way more stable than the P&A. Making it so much easier to throw straight, or be able to predict the fade on those 30+ throws. I think my biggest problem was my follow through, and I'm working on possitioning my COG over my plant foot for possibly better range. I'm not sure yet, but I'm much more consistant than I was weeks ago.Mark martin was at the tournament. I didn't get a chance to talk to him but I noticed our techniques are way different... So I don't know how much good it would have been to ask him for advice. I wish I could still, he's sick!

vq18ae.jpg

(yes it went in)

The only pro I've seen that is all turbo is Derek Robins. He also does the upsidedown turbo which I found strange at first. It is better in the wind though. Myself, I'd only turbo if I was in a bush and had to go up and over. I'd rather horseshoe putt it if I have space.

I showed Schwebby how turbo at a brewery in houston, I was about 100' out and threw it over the offices and banged the chains scarring everyone near the basket! He said there's no way I could do it again, and BAM nothing but chains exploding, and my third turbo hit the chastity belt. My best discgolf memory ever! Brian McCree was there as well. IT WAS SICK! I don't use the turbo put unless I am frustrated with my normal putt or it is appropriate. So I can do something Schwebby can't

oh, I used super softs 1.5 when I was hanging at the brewery. Now I use a magic, I would use the same putter you normally use, except something like star or champion you might have the disc slip out when releasing or like you say have the wind blow it out of your hand. Some people place the index and pinky on top and the other fingers on the bottom of the disc to have a better grip, I personally do not do that, feels weird. Also, the turbo falls straight and does not tend to fade so it can be more accurate when missing in certain situations. It is a great horse shot. I can even do them backwards reverse spin looking away from the basket. Actually made on in atournament

****UPDATE****

I haven't been turbo putting because I really have been wanting to learn normal putting technique. I've been getting frustrated with my putting game ever since I've stopped turbo putting. My drives are consistant, and my upshots have been parking from any distance 75% of the time. That 25% though is what's killing me. I can't put outside 25 feet.

I did some tests tonight, I threw 10 discs each way. Then decided to do it again, but oddly got the same results.. so I'll just go off 10. i actually practiced my normal putting for an hour before i did this test, then realized I should throw Turbo too so without practicing turbo before, these are my results:

15 feet Turbo: 60%. 6 in, 4 missed(2 hit basket)
30 feet Turbo: 40%. 4 in, 6 missed (3 basket, 3 chains)

15 feet normal: 50%. 5 in, 5 missed (2 hit basket)
30 feet normal: 10%. 1 in, 9 missed (2 hit basket)

The fact I had ZERO practice on turbo putting before these results, and an hours worth of normal putting blows my mind. I think if I would have practiced turbo putting for an hour, I could add 2-3 on to my in number.

As you can see, my normal putting is rough. Averaging both I'm missing completely about 50% of the time. Where turbo putting I'm missing about 20% of the time. I didn't miss at all on my 30 foot however...

After tonight, I think I'm going to just start putting turbo again. Tomorrow I want to do some more data tests but it seems like turbo putting is the way to go. My only concern is I like to play a balanced game (sidearm/backhand for example) so I hate how my normal putting is just so bad. I think I'll be fine though. The only problem I think I'll be facing is in woods where turbo lines just aren't possible. Even then, I'm happy with my %'s turbo putting. I know I can get those up.

I don't want to stop throwing normal but seeing as I've spend a month straight doing nothing but normal putting and these are my results I have to be doing something wrong. I might do some research to find out what i'm doing wrong. Regardless I'll have my turbo putts to keep me sane until I can figure my normal putting out.

Still though, I really don't even want to learn normal putting if I'm throwing this well turbo. What do you guys think?

Also, 40+ I usually do a side throw. I did a few turbos this far and was happy with my results. I think I threw 4 and made 1, hit basket twice, and completely missed one. Not bad in my book. Compared to my SUPER HYZER awful normal jump putts that happen at 40 out haha.

It's funny my OP is talking about 20 is my max range, and now I'm shooting for 40. haha.

Edit* I'm throwing dx classic aviars now. My putts are like bullets, super straight, and super fast.

I play sometimes with a guy who exclusively turbos and last Sunday his range with it was crazy, he nailed several from 70-80 feet. That's fairly unusual for him I think, his range usually isn't that great with any accuracy, but it was pretty fun to watch. He's usually deadly accurate with it from within 30' though.

dgdave said:
Mark Martin

Yes. Mark is the best Turbo putter I've ever seen. I saw him yesterday at Rosedale, selling discs out of his truck to get to Neosho today.

Mark turbos with Bulldogs.

and I met mark martin for the second time AT neosho today! haha.

As I said above, the best turbo putter I know putts with Bulldogs, which are pretty overstable.

Mark throws at a weird hyzer angle, and the disc curves right on its line. However, must if the time it just goes straight s an arrow.

Mine go straight as an arrow inside 35, but beyond that flout there little asses off and fade right (very inaccurate). So I can see how his form does him well.

I'm working on what he does, but it's so different from what I do; as far as the feel. So I don't know. Sometimes I'd rather just throw a short upshot 40+ feet instead of trying to putt. That wont win me tournaments though. ha.

There is a player here in PDX that if he's 100 out, he turbos, bloody freaking accurate too. If it works use it, period