• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Turning people on to disc golf

I think part of my job description is to introduce new players to the sport.

A couple weeks ago I introduced about 450 5th graders. In one of the groups three of the kids spent every moment of free time on the course, and begged me to show them the back 9. I said are you sure? It's long and difficult, it will probably make you bleed and cry. They said we don't care, we want to play it. So I took them back there, they definitely had a rough time, but you could see in their faces that they loved every minute of it.

Many of the staff are really getting into it, several of the guys in particular have gotten into a night time ritual of playing a glow round nearly every night. One guy says to me today "I never played before I got here two weeks ago, then I played every night, now I haven't played in 2 days and I think I'm having withdrawals" as he holds up his hand and mimics a shaky withdrawal symptom.

Update: My co-worker reports that they were, predictably enough, terrible. However her sons are now hooked on disc golf, her not so much "it was okay." She is going shopping for discs for them this weekend, so she can return mine.

It's great that you guys are all out there growing our sport! Thanks for the comments!