• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Turnover Mid

Itchy1

Eagle Member
So I've decided I want to try and find a turnover mid that can handle windy days. I've lurked around here for a bit and from what I've read I guess I've narrowed it down to either a Firm Summit or a Meteor. Anybody have any experience with either in an anny role in the wind or another suggestion?

Summit is a putter rather than a mid
and can turn right (RHBH) from a flat throw without any head wind
are you asking for something that will turn right with a tail wind?

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that people will suggest a Comet or a Fuse
perhaps a Mako or a QMS

Yeah, I know Summit's classified as a putter, but I figure you can get it to go out to 150 feet since most putters get out that far pretty easily. I kind of see p&a discs fitting into the mid category, but not all mids fit into the putter category.

I'm looking for a slower disc that can do an accurate anny approach with the wind coming from right to left, so the disc will fade into the wind. But it would be great if it could fight the wind from any direction, that's just the most common I run into.

I read about the QMS (there was a thread about it) but it sounded too fast, almost like a driver, and I'm looking to disc down, not disc up.

Isn't the Comet the overstable version of the Meteor?

I guess I just really need schooling in understable mids and then pick one that'll fight wind, if that makes sense.

uhhh the QMS is not fast...slow and straight
will hold lines...but probably not a hyzer into a head wind as it is on the understable side
if you are only talking 150 - 200 feet then you probably are looking for a putter not a mid
something under 150 is an approach rather than a mid range shot
most people would use a putter for that regardless of wind...unless is was really howling
to hyzer in I use a Z Ringer
to turn in I use a beat D Ringer

depending on your power level you might want to be looking at a mid for shots upwards of 250 that you might not reach with a putter

a Comet may be slightly more stable than a Meteor (have not thrown either) but it is an understable disc

probably about the only putter that won't fade into the wind and I think you mean turn rather than fade would be an ESP Zone cause they are BEEF

you may need to clarify what you need here
what distances are you talking?
throwing into a headwind?
right handed or left handed?

also check out Joe's Flight Chart at Gottagogottathrow
you'll be able to compare the ranges, stability, and power levels required for various discs

Throw a stable/overstable mid with a touch of anny or flat (and let it turn) depending how stable your disc is and the strength of the wind. A disc that is understable without wind is going to get eaten alive by a headwind. Personally, I'd throw a forehand hyzer if I had to go to the right into the wind.

discspeed said:
Personally, I'd throw a forehand hyzer if I had to go to the right into the wind.
Same here. If I had to make this shot a lot, I'd consider getting a Gator, Drone, etc. for it.

I may be really weird here but I use a beat DX Roc as my turnover right now. I tried a Fuse and I dont know I never really got much benefit throwing a turnover out of a mid it always just seems safer to give a more stable mid some annie. I always really struggled trying to range a Fuse because of its insane glide so on a turnover mid where Im usually throwing a blocked right side finesse shot (RHBH) or a controlled right turn where range control is really important I just prefer discs like a roc where they pretty much go straight through the air.

discspeed said:
...A disc that is understable without wind is going to get eaten alive by a headwind...

That's the exact problem I've been having. For some reason I thought a different type of disc would fix that (beefier/harder anny-ing), but I guess I just need to adjust my technique and throw FH.

Darn, and I thought I was going to get some new plastic... :lol:

For what it's worth, here's my MS Paint depiction of what the shot looks like;
5058538282_cf6bc995f2_b.jpg

So what I see happen a lot is people sidearm their disc and the wind pushes them into the trees to the left. I've had some discs go into those trees and some that fight the wind and come back toward the basket so I can putt. Then one day I was playing by myself and saw a guy RHBH that shot with an anny and made it look easy so I thought maybe he had some magic disc... sounds like he just got lucky.

3 options
you could hyzer to the right of the trees and the wind would put you in toward the basket
or you could FH through the gap with something overstable (Gator, Drone)
or you could finesse a disc through the gap

I don't think it is the wind pushing them into the trees on the left if they are forehanding
it might hold them straighter but they would still fade
assuming we aren't talking a 150 class disc and a strong wind

we play a similar hole although the hyzer from the right isn't an option
those who can FH do so
those who can't try to turn over through the gap
it's probably less than 250

I hyzer a Firebird or a Trident...yesterday I used the 2010 Ace Race disc

ManU said:
we play a similar hole although the hyzer from the right isn't an option
those who can FH do so
those who can't try to turn over through the gap
it's probably less than 250

I hyzer a Firebird or a Trident...yesterday I used the 2010 Ace Race disc

#8 at the lawn?

The fuse works great on that hole. I've parked it with it my last two times out with it.

you have an element in your signature that would be a great disc for that shot. if that is to stable check out the glide.

Itchy said:
discspeed said:
...A disc that is understable without wind is going to get eaten alive by a headwind...

That's the exact problem I've been having. For some reason I thought a different type of disc would fix that (beefier/harder anny-ing), but I guess I just need to adjust my technique and throw FH.

Darn, and I thought I was going to get some new plastic... :lol:

For what it's worth, here's my MS Paint depiction of what the shot looks like;
5058538282_cf6bc995f2_b.jpg

So what I see happen a lot is people sidearm their disc and the wind pushes them into the trees to the left. I've had some discs go into those trees and some that fight the wind and come back toward the basket so I can putt. Then one day I was playing by myself and saw a guy RHBH that shot with an anny and made it look easy so I thought maybe he had some magic disc... sounds like he just got lucky.

The drawing makes your question much clearer. And damn, if the crossing wind is strong that is a tough backhand shot (assuming there is no hyzer route).

The problem with the backhand shot is that if you put the wing up it exposes the top of disc to the wind and it gets pushed left, away from the basket. If you turn the disc too hard, the wind will turn it into a roller. So you have to throw the shot close to flat, yet still have it turn. For this you need a disc which is somewhere in the straight to mildly flippy range and you need to throw it perfect (like a Buzzz or a broken in Buzzz).

The stronger the wind the riskier the shot is. You may want to play a safer shot and not try to park it, aiming instead to the left of the basket. The straighter you throw the shot the less you need to put the wing up and the less the wind will affect the shot. There are times when a 30' putt left of the basket will look much better than the result you will likely get by trying to park it.

The guy you saw park it just threw it perfect. Perfect shots often look easy. He threw it flat and smooth and it bent like it was remote controlled. Whether it was luck or not would depend on how often he could repeat it.

The forehand route is only easier IF you are adept at that shot. Throwing a forehand in strong winds is not a successful recipe for most players. If you have a good forehand just throw an overstable driver flat and let the disc do the work ( generally, drivers fight wind better than mids on forehands).

Thanks for all the help everybody. So it sounds like I should throw something stable with a flat release to just the other side of the trees and then head toward the basket on the next throw(s), rather than try and anny up to the basket. I'll try my element to get around those trees.

The hyzer shot technically is an option, but to the right of those trees is an OB. Specifically, it's a lake so I try to stay away from it since I like keeping my discs. :lol:

I make shots like that with wind like that with a Mako. Throw it flat and hard it will turn over and hold the line with no or almost no fade.
On a shorter shot I would use my seasoned soft Wizard. If you turn it over into the wind it can actually help you stay turned over.

The hyzer will not go into the lake with a right to left wind unless its a serious shank. I would take this line, and play it conservatively, ideally leaving myself short for a tailwind putt instead of headwind. Or I would forehand a Z pred flat and let it work right with a fade skip and a jump.

I suppose that may depend on how close to the water the trees are. Tree branches are great at knocking your discs into the water.

I love the Fuse but for a right turning shot thrown RHBH that has to finish into a wind I'd choose a seasoned Roc. But more than likely I'd throw a forehand into that pin. Depending on the wind and how hard/soft it needs to finish I'd throw either a Z Pred, xXx, or Stalker.

Well, I think this weekend I'll throw a ton of shots at this basket and see what I can make work with your suggestions.

Hey, if putting this stamp on a disc makes it fly this line, then by all means stamp it and I'll buy one! :lol: (although, I don't think it's eligible since it's not clip art)

Latest posts