• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Turnover Mid

If you are good with overhand shots (and depending on how strong the wind actually is) you could throw a thumber. I usually keep these low (like I'm throwing a pancake) but throw it hard, it it will finish with a solid skip to the right. As with any overhand shot, more stable = longer.

Yea +1 for overhand, Id probably try and throw over the trees if possible.

Well... not over the trees... and not a roller. It's like a pancake. A pancake flips upside down and slides. You don't typically throw it as hard. The shot I'm talking about takes the same flight as a pancake, but you throw it harder and towards the horizon. Since I throw it as a thumber (tomahawk works too) it moves slightly to the left and swings the top of the disc underneath (like a regular overhand). It hits the ground during the end of this part of the flight. When it hits, the bottom of the disc is facing up and to the right slightly. From here, you get one big skip to the right.

The disc never gets over 20' high and takes the same flight as a thumber, but instead of falling down at the end, it skips right. You can play with the flight some to work out some straighter flights, or more extreme skips. Works great for throwing in areas with a very low ceiling.

This is the first video I found of the shot I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ds6NOQLTTw

You can't see the flight as well, but he's throwing it lower than a typical thumber and the disc is hitting the ground (water) before the last part of the thumber's flight (where it typically falls straight down). Because the disc is relatively flat and upside down, its able to skip.

That's a thumber, thrown slightly inside.

Still, it will never skip as far right as a well executed roller will roll right.

Smigles said:
That's a thumber, thrown slightly inside.

Still, it will never skip as far right as a well executed roller will roll right.

True... but I'd rather throw the thumber than a roller with a crosswind like that.

We use that shot all the time over at our course. There's one short hole (~220') with a narrow tunnel and low ceiling, hooks to the right at the end. This shot is pretty much the easiest way to make a run at the basket.

Latest posts