• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Two discs wide vs. two Frisbees wide

Yay!

So, is there anything you actually want to discuss, about disc golf?

Actually yes. I would like you to answer the question of (which I've already asked but you've ignored) what realistic solution(s) do you propose to fix the alleged, "putting is too easy" issue?

Actually yes. I would like you to answer the question of (which I've already asked but you've ignored) what realistic solution(s) do you propose to fix the alleged, "putting is too easy" issue?

I asked a long detailed question above that really needs to be answered before we could actually talk about any proposed fix. Because we'd need to understand what it is we are trying to fix. I really don't understand what is meant when various people say "putting is too easy".

Still waiting to see if that question gets acknowledged.

OMD has hacked Bogey's account, apparently. I haven't seen one new argument or twist here that wasn't said a thousand times in the flame war threads of this topic.

My two cents, rehashed from all the other OMD-dominated threads: there is no problem. I love putting the way it is. I'm very good at it for (a) an amateur and (b) an old guy. I'm around 70% from 30 feet and won last year's Kalamazoo Putting League against a bunch of 30-year-old friends of mine who play Am-1 and MPO. (They kick my ever-loving ass at driving, of course, and thus beat me at scores easily). You'd think for my own greedy purposes I'd want putting to be tougher for everybody so I'd have a bigger advantage. I DO NOT. It just means the distance from the basket from which I'll run a putt or not shrinks and for more holes I wouldn't gain an advantage over most players like I do now. We're all taking pars in that scenario more often. Boring!!

These are my opinions and I stand firmly by them. I miss this topic being dead. Let's send it back to that status!!

Since the basket getting smaller arguments seemed to have stalled or failed, how about considering arguments for the other direction, i.e., making the basket tray bigger. Note that few of the main target mfgrs have yet taken advantage of making their tray diameter as large as the spec allows.

A few arguments in favor of just the tray diameter increasing, initially as an option, is the basket catching more chain hits and reducing "unfair" bounce-outs or cut-thrus for whatever reason. Sinking more putts would be popular with not only rec players but top players as well with the chance for more exciting throw-ins from distance.

In addition, the Ultimate crowd is underserved with existing targets not catching ultimate discs well. They are learning or have learned a variety of skills with their lids but the disc golf game has not embraced their equipment. There are roughly 30% women playing Ultimate versus perhaps 10% in disc golf so we know many women like to throw discs. However, ultimate players have no outlet for their skills with that disc once they've aged or injured out of organized ultimate and want to play a sport with the equipment they've learned. Of course, few disc courses or layouts are specifically designed with par 3 and par 4 hole lengths in the ranges suitable for Ultimate players of any gender throwing lids.

Oh hell, I missed that. The totally impractical solution that would be a most terrible thing in unimaginable ways is, change the basket. I mean, that's what the OP is about! :lol:

Serious question here which I would like to actually treat as a serious question. I'm saying this upfront because the heat around these questions means that frequently people are talking around/past each other. They don't hear the actual question, and they make their answer about something else, what they think the question was.

So, preamble taken care of, here we go.

What does it mean to you that "putting" is "too easy"? And why and how is that a comparison to ball golf?

As a for instance, in ball golf, the most typical play when landing on the green is to attempt to putt so that your ball finishes about 3 foot past the hole if it doesn't go in. For a variety of reasons most putts aren't birdie putts, so the typical play is to lag putt to somewhere within 3 feet.

Is disc golf putting too easy because people aren't trying to make sure they finish within 3 feet?

Another for instance, winners on the PGA tour this past year have been between -5 and -34. With typical final scores being in double digits. Not doing the math right now, but it looks like winners are maybe averaging -4 or -5 under per round. We typically see winners on the DGPT averaging more like -10 or better.

Is disc golf putting too easy because the score relative to par is too low?

Another for instance, the average beginner in ball golf won't be able to sniff a birdie or even par in most rounds, even on a short par 3 course. Pars and birdies are regularly fairly easy to come by for beginners in disc golf on short beginner level course.

Is disc golf putting too easy because even beginners can make birdies?

I'm just trying to understand what you mean when you say putting is "too easy".

It's plain language and not complicated at all. What could it mean other than putting is too easy?

Above are examples of the specific kinds of things that would make it more clear what you mean. Given that you may agree or disagree with each of these, the "plain" language doesn't actually elucidate what you find objectionable. Again, these are just possiblities. I'm looking to understand what putting outcomes you find objectionable.

I think smaller baskets are fine as an option. I wouldn't mind if baskets varied in size from one hole to the next, and I think that could make for an interesting element of course design. I don't understand the desire for uniformity. It's a golf course not a bowling alley.

Above are examples of the specific kinds of things that would make it more clear what you mean. Given that you may agree or disagree with each of these, the "plain" language doesn't actually elucidate what you find objectionable. Again, these are just possiblities. I'm looking to understand what putting outcomes you find objectionable.

good luck trying to discuss this with a troll.

I think smaller baskets are fine as an option. I wouldn't mind if baskets varied in size from one hole to the next, and I think that could make for an interesting element of course design. I don't understand the desire for uniformity. It's a golf course not a bowling alley.

Hmmmm.....interesting. Hole 1- a tree. Hole 2- marksman basket. Hole three- in the trash can. Hole 4- eagle on top the flag pole. Hole 5- windmill Hole 6-under the picnic table. Hole 7- clown's mouth. :p

For the record, we do have a course that features 18 different sizes and brands of baskets.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/courses/Rolling_Hills_County_Park

A nearby disc golf course/shooting range made a "basket" out of an old satellite dish. It was the basket for the top-of-the-world hole on their course. It was amusing and fun to throw at. I'm not advocating for such an extreme option for professional tournament play, or that every hole should have a unique disc catching receptacle, but there are certainly times where a unique basket could enhance an otherwise dull or unchallenging hole.

Last edited:
It's funny that the threads/topics we all (claim to?) hate seem to get the most traffic.

Width of the basket has been discussed ad nauseam…and correct me if I'm wrong, as it's late, and some posts were a bit extensive, but did no one talk about lowering the height of the basket from the bottom edge of the band/top assembly to the bottom of the tray?

My sloppy measurements on a mvp precision basket are 1 disc +2 or so inches wide in the tray, and 3 discs high from the tray to the bottom of the top band.

Raising the tray 8 inches would decrease the target size, making putting "harder" while also being, probably, the most cost effective method without having to tear out installed baskets and replace them with a completely differently dimensioned target.

I am exhausted though, with a crying, eating, ****ting newborn, so I could be way off in my thinking.

Since the basket getting smaller arguments seemed to have stalled or failed, how about considering arguments for the other direction, i.e., making the basket tray bigger. Note that few of the main target mfgrs have yet taken advantage of making their tray diameter as large as the spec allows.

A few arguments in favor of just the tray diameter increasing, initially as an option, is the basket catching more chain hits and reducing "unfair" bounce-outs or cut-thrus for whatever reason. Sinking more putts would be popular with not only rec players but top players as well with the chance for more exciting throw-ins from distance.

In addition, the Ultimate crowd is underserved with existing targets not catching ultimate discs well. They are learning or have learned a variety of skills with their lids but the disc golf game has not embraced their equipment. There are roughly 30% women playing Ultimate versus perhaps 10% in disc golf so we know many women like to throw discs. However, ultimate players have no outlet for their skills with that disc once they've aged or injured out of organized ultimate and want to play a sport with the equipment they've learned. Of course, few disc courses or layouts are specifically designed with par 3 and par 4 hole lengths in the ranges suitable for Ultimate players of any gender throwing lids.

Awesome Chuck. Enlarging the basket is what I was trying to suggest IF the target area (chains) were to become smaller. In previous discussions, the idea of "better catching" has been brought up repeatedly.

IMO, chain design can't do that effectively in and of itself. But, whatever the chain design/size is, a larger basket Will catch more "good putts".

Technically, the target is not responsible for catching discs, it should deflect them to the catching device that validates hitting the target.

Good thing you said "unfair bounce outs ". Apparently "luck " is a naughty word. Don't say that.

Im not advocating a change, but IF someone wants to pursue an alternative, i think this is the way to go.

Width of the basket has been discussed ad nauseam…and correct me if I'm wrong, as it's late, and some posts were a bit extensive, but did no one talk about lowering the height of the basket from the bottom edge of the band/top assembly to the bottom of the tray?

My sloppy measurements on a mvp precision basket are 1 disc +2 or so inches wide in the tray, and 3 discs high from the tray to the bottom of the top band.

Raising the tray 8 inches would decrease the target size, making putting "harder" while also being, probably, the most cost effective method without having to tear out installed baskets and replace them with a completely differently dimensioned target.

I am exhausted though, with a crying, eating, ****ting newborn, so I could be way off in my thinking.

I don't think anyone's advocated reducing the vertical dimension in this thread, but I've suggested it before, in others. With the additional thought that if you wanted to do it on the pro tour, you could temporarily retrofit baskets by putting a cap on them that would extend down and cover the upper chains. With the bonus that it would be a big advertising space.

My own sloppy measurements were that, because the chain assembly is tapered, the lower half of it is only about 2-discs wide, anyway, or less towards the bottom. So many or most successful putts are hitting a 2-disc-wide target, or even narrower on low putts.

Latest posts