• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

U niced me...

Do you believe in the 'You niced me' myth?

• Yes, it's absolutely true

Votes: 30 20.4%
  • That's stoopid...not true

Votes: 71 48.3%
  • I'll throw a disc at your head if you nice me

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Sometimes I nice myself for the hell of it

Votes: 35 23.8%

• Total voters
I have not played in any serious group. My friend got me back into DG, not that I played very consistently any time before. I then wrangled a few guys that are "pop warner/little league parents" along with me, and we go out and play on Sunday's.

They are going to love this myth. We usually try to throw each other off by interrupting our drives, but only sometimes. you can tell when a guy is having a bad game, and just let him be. Otherwise, we "U niced ME" all the time! It's all in good fun.

I have played adult baseball as well. Every sport has myths and superstitions. Even coaching my kid's team this year, if we were up in the last inning, and were even 1 out away from ending game, we would never start putting any equipment away until the game is DONE! we learned after it happened at the beginning of the season!

And when I cheer my LA Dodgers on from home, I always wear the same unwashed sox... cause when I don't, they lose.... riiiiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhhhhttttttt

Last edited:
I'm not superstitious, and I don't believe in luck. But I'll be damned if I didn't have that happen to me enough to where I quit doing it. I don't get it, but I won't do it to anyone. It's happened to me enough, where I get uncomfortable when someone "nices" me.

I agree Russ MB. There's always some Invisi-Tree or limbs hanging you didn't see when you said it. I believe it too.....hence the username.

I have never really taken note of this phenomenon, but at the last weekly I was in a rather supportive pool which liked to call shots nice, and quite many of them went horribly wrong after the words. I actually brought this up with the pool and told them to save their "nice" until the disc lands. Even they started to notice the effect after a couple of accidental nices after I had told them.

Of course there is no way any word will change the trajectory of the disc or the course, but even though it's complete hogwash, it's not really a great feeling to have your shot that ends up in the rough called "nice shot". Feels more like an insult than compliment, even though the caller couldn't have known it will end up in the bad place when it was looking so good in the air.

So, even if you don't believe in it, please save your "nice" for until the disc has landed and settled down, it's the polite way :thmbup: