• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC coverage

I think you could get people to pay $10 to watch the last two days of USDGC. Would be a killer social experiment for the future of that model, too.

Can a pay wall be effectively erected in two weeks from a technical standpoint?

No and probably with YouTube Red

No and probably with YouTube Red

Why not? It's $10 a day to spectate in person, so it's already less than that, and it would truly give people that option that they want. Or, you can skip it if you don't want to pay. Didn't DGP.tv used to be subscription only?

I think you could get people to pay $10 to watch the last two days of USDGC. Would be a killer social experiment for the future of that model, too.

Can a pay wall be effectively erected in two weeks from a technical standpoint?

Plenty of people (a couple thousand, at least) paid to watch Worlds on Disc Golf Planet a few years ago. It would stand to reason that there's a larger market now than there was then.

The only significant difference between then and now is that the next-day availability of the post-produced rounds. That was something that really wasn't a factor in 2011-2012 when DGP was running the pay-per-view model. Maybe there might have to be a delay on the post-produced stuff (say 3-7 days after the conclusion of the event), mandated by the event itself, to further encourage the live viewership.

Why not? It's $10 a day to spectate in person, so it's already less than that, and it would truly give people that option that they want. Or, you can skip it if you don't want to pay. Didn't DGP.tv used to be subscription only?

How did that work out?

Plenty of people (a couple thousand, at least) paid to watch Worlds on Disc Golf Planet a few years ago. It would stand to reason that there's a larger market now than there was then.

The only significant difference between then and now is that the next-day availability of the post-produced rounds. That was something that really wasn't a factor in 2011-2012 when DGP was running the pay-per-view model. Maybe there might have to be a delay on the post-produced stuff (say 3-7 days after the conclusion of the event), mandated by the event itself, to further encourage the live viewership.

I agree with pushing the post stuff back, but that horse is too far out of the stable at this point for this year's USDGC. But I think giving those disappointed people the option of a pay per view livestream would be nice.

How did that work out?

Look, I get DGP didn't flourish. But there are plenty of people who want to watch this specific event live. I think you can cater to them with a one-off pay per view, and if not then watch the post-produced content.

Maybe pdga could front smashboxx their fees, then anything brought in from the pay per view could be paid back to pdga after labor? Just spit balling here.

We do locally record, never know when SportsCenter is gonna want a high quality clip. And the only thing that makes it tough for us to produce an edited version is that we have a commentator talking over the video. We would probably have to edit out the video and do some sort of post-round commentary.

What would be the downside of uploading an unedited, locally recorded version to get better video quality, say a week or so later? I would dig that.

For the anti-entitlement pile on-ers there's a difference between making demands and just sharing how folks use a product. My son & I typically wait until the streaming is over and watch the video on YouTube through Roku, bouncing past the basket to tee walks.

We also watch all the edited and commentary added uploads as they become available. And, we'll watch good tournaments with good commentary more than once.

I have thought about taking our live feed and trying to recut it and trim the fat out. Leave a few commercials in and just cut off the announcers mid-sentence when I want to edit something out. The quality wouldn't be any better than the streamed version, but the length would be much shorter. Probably closer to an hour and a half.

I still may someday. But I bet the first comment is: "WTF? Why is the quality so crappy. Learn to edit! Get a new camera! Be more like CCDG/Jomez/McFly!" Oh the joys!

Personally I would pay to watch it live, even though I am going up Thursday-Friday. Couldn't we all just boycott the post round stuff on spinTv. Not to dog Jamie one bit his commentary has started to grow on me the more events he works with.

No views/less on post production would show that live brings in more viewers. Know I know someones going to state the replay value say 6 months down the road will be better the say worlds totals but that's where the post production should be pulling ahead with the winter weather/off season.

I have thought about taking our live feed and trying to recut it and trim the fat out. Leave a few commercials in and just cut off the announcers mid-sentence when I want to edit something out. The quality wouldn't be any better than the streamed version, but the length would be much shorter. Probably closer to an hour and a half.

I still may someday. But I bet the first comment is: "WTF? Why is the quality so crappy. Learn to edit! Get a new camera! Be more like CCDG/Jomez/McFly!" Oh the joys!

Yeah be more like them!!!!!!!!!!! I kid you guys do the best work in my book

Personally I would pay to watch it live, even though I am going up Thursday-Friday. Couldn't we all just boycott the post round stuff on spinTv. Not to dog Jamie one bit his commentary has started to grow on me the more events he works with.

No views/less on post production would show that live brings in more viewers. Know I know someones going to state the replay value say 6 months down the road will be better the say worlds totals but that's where the post production should be pulling ahead with the winter weather/off season.

Why would you boycott Spin??? They are not making the decision to not cover the event. Boycott??.......what the hell. :|

I don't see the point of editing the live feed when we can skip through the slow parts. I am curious as to how the locally recorded differs from the live feed.

On a different note, what is your vision for how you will eventually make money?

I'm only considering PPV if the card holders are exotic dancers. #ADGT

Hey everyone!

First, kudos on a very civil and productive discussion on a topic which can easily get heated.

The lack of a livestream is a heartbreaker, no doubt. It is to me as well. Personally, I think all sports are better live - and even when I tell myself "I'll DVR this and come back" I almost never do. There's a certain magic about it happening in the moment, knowing you're sharing it all over the world and experiencing it at the same time.

I also totally understand the joint-decision (and it truly was a joint decision) between Innova and the DGWT from the business perspective. We've hired Jonathan Gomez and his team to produce the edited cuts for SpinTV after seeing his efforts at Worlds, and I think it has legit potential to be the best edited disc golf videos ever made.

As far as Avery/Facebook Live/etc. - when I pitched the idea to utilize that tool at La Mirada - it was NEVER intended to be full rounds. I'm going to heavily advocate against that for USDGC. That content is meant to be behind the scenes access, to supplement the tournament coverage and evoke the feeling of being there over social media. We'll see if my suggestions are taken or not.

If I were in charge, would I do it differently? I don't honestly know what I would choose, I go back and forth in my own mind. There's lots of factors at work, more than meets the eye. I know some people are disappointed, angry, etc. but just know that everybody weighed the decision carefully, and they did what they believed to be in the best interest of the event this year.

I believe the way the DGWT looks at things, they believe live is a luxury, and edited is a necessity. Is Jussi gambling that you'll watch no matter what he chooses? Absolutely. Is it mean-spirited in intent? I don't believe so.

I'm sorry I don't really have better answers than that, all I can say from my role is, I'm going to still give it my 100% no matter what format the delivery comes in, and I know that the whole team is going to do the same. Give us a chance, and then give us the feedback, let's keep growing this thing together. :)

First. Do NOT boycott Spin. That is silly. Those guys do good work.

I don't see the point of editing the live feed when we can skip through the slow parts. I am curious as to how the locally recorded differs from the live feed.

On a different note, what is your vision for how you will eventually make money?

Second. Yes, you can skip though it, but it is less intimidating to see a 1 hour video instead of a 4 hour video for someone. I would leave both up and let the viewers decide.

The local copy is high quality 1080p usually. But it would take me way less time to edit the "live" version because all of the video cuts are already made. I don't have to try and sync up 2 cameras and add in scorecards & graphics, etc. I could possibly edit it in like 2 hours or so and have it up very quickly. And for those that want to wait for the high quality version, they just wait for the good guys to do it the next day.

As far as making money? Currently advertisers work with the ProTour and then the PT just contracts us. For events NOT on the ProTour, we rely on some advertising sponsorship and work with the PDGA and presenting sponsors to get us to the important events.

Hey everyone!

First, kudos on a very civil and productive discussion on a topic which can easily get heated.

The lack of a livestream is a heartbreaker, no doubt. It is to me as well. Personally, I think all sports are better live - and even when I tell myself "I'll DVR this and come back" I almost never do. There's a certain magic about it happening in the moment, knowing you're sharing it all over the world and experiencing it at the same time.

I also totally understand the joint-decision (and it truly was a joint decision) between Innova and the DGWT from the business perspective. We've hired Jonathan Gomez and his team to produce the edited cuts for SpinTV after seeing his efforts at Worlds, and I think it has legit potential to be the best edited disc golf videos ever made.

As far as Avery/Facebook Live/etc. - when I pitched the idea to utilize that tool at La Mirada - it was NEVER intended to be full rounds. I'm going to heavily advocate against that for USDGC. That content is meant to be behind the scenes access, to supplement the tournament coverage and evoke the feeling of being there over social media. We'll see if my suggestions are taken or not.

If I were in charge, would I do it differently? I don't honestly know what I would choose, I go back and forth in my own mind. There's lots of factors at work, more than meets the eye. I know some people are disappointed, angry, etc. but just know that everybody weighed the decision carefully, and they did what they believed to be in the best interest of the event this year.

I believe the way the DGWT looks at things, they believe live is a luxury, and edited is a necessity. Is Jussi gambling that you'll watch no matter what he chooses? Absolutely. Is it mean-spirited in intent? I don't believe so.

I'm sorry I don't really have better answers than that, all I can say from my role is, I'm going to still give it my 100% no matter what format the delivery comes in, and I know that the whole team is going to do the same. Give us a chance, and then give us the feedback, let's keep growing this thing together. :)

Good luck and keep up the battle.

You can tell Jussi Aim says he is trippin! Few dollars for some live goodies and being ahead of the times etc...? Mobile companys sell devices tp bring signal. If anyone could make it happen i figured him.

Smashboxx is willing to make it happen regardless of when where why. It is too bad Jussi doesn't feel the same way. Oh well we are just the black spot or something over here? Great post JT.

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

This is the real crux of it.

For those of us that do love and value LIVE events and the new media experiences surrounding them (spamming chat with Terry Miller eye-roll icon$$$).... there really isn't anything that comes close.

VOD content is great. But it cannot accurately recreate the experience of watching something in real-time with other people reacting in the moment. Even if Twitch chat turns into insane spamfests and nonstop memes.... it completely adds to the atmosphere & hype surrounding events.

Nothing better than seeing a good play / great shot / terrible meltdown and watching chat blow up.

First. Do NOT boycott Spin. That is silly. Those guys do good work.

Second. Yes, you can skip though it, but it is less intimidating to see a 1 hour video instead of a 4 hour video for someone. I would leave both up and let the viewers decide.

Johnny,

What you're suggesting is one of the options we have to watch Duke college basketball "on demand" the next day. NeuLion (the video provider for Duke athletics) provides three on demand options for each regular season game: a short (2 or 3 minutes) highlights package, a 10 minute or so "condensed game" that just goes from made basket to made basket without regard to announcers' commentary, and a "full game" replay that has all of the "live broadcast". Depending on how much time I have, I really enjoy having the condensed game option. My wife really appreciates not having to listen to Dick Vitale.

Johnny,

What you're suggesting is one of the options we have to watch Duke college basketball "on demand" the next day. NeuLion (the video provider for Duke athletics) provides three on demand options for each regular season game: a short (2 or 3 minutes) highlights package, a 10 minute or so "condensed game" that just goes from made basket to made basket without regard to announcers' commentary, and a "full game" replay that has all of the "live broadcast". Depending on how much time I have, I really enjoy having the condensed game option. My wife really appreciates not having to listen to Dick Vitale.

beIN sports does the same for soccer. They call it 90 in 30. They crop in all the goals, and shots on goals with any other significant events. It is a great watch.

beIN sports does the same for soccer. They call it 90 in 30. They crop in all the goals, and shots on goals with any other significant events. It is a great watch.

Makes sense to me. I love watching the 4 hour event when I plan for it on the weekend, or keep it running on the desk at work.
If I'm watching later, I still bring up the 4 hour video of the live, (on YouTube) and use the right arrow and mash it repeatedly when I'm skipping ahead. If I want to stop, I watch and go back on anything I want, usually if a shot goes much better or much worse than expected and see the players and commentary reaction. And then you can get into the reason for the players next plays and suspense as it unfolds.

Latest posts