• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Versatile Midrange Pairings

Since we are talking about seasoning discs to help with multiple stabilities and moving this also to fairway coupling, I will take back what I said about seasoning discs. Normally I personally hate the idea of depending on seasoning discs to cover stability, again just my personal opinion, but with the TeeBird I make a big exception. The difference between my beat 165 Star TeeBird and new 175 Star TeeBird is tremendous. I am going to try to work on an 170 Echo Star TeeBird in hopes to get in to my 165's range quicker, to take stress off that 165.

See, now when you get into fairways, I like to start looking at the Faster and slower fairways with mids 3 dimensionally. (? I guess thats how I would describe it) This will really take the thread on a tangent but, say you played it like this:

Pred---------Roadrunner
----------Leopard
----Roc------Fuse

Assuming that the above land in that relative area if being thrown from the "0" at the bottom of my post. (does that make sense for my 3D explanation?)

See, now when you get into fairways, I like to start looking at the Faster and slower fairways with mids 3 dimensionally. (? I guess thats how I would describe it) This will really take the thread on a tangent but, say you played it like this:

Pred---------Roadrunner
----------Leopard
----Roc------Fuse

Assuming that the above land in that relative area if being thrown from the "0" at the bottom of my post. (does that make sense for my 3D explanation?)

Aerial view makes sense. 3-d view, not so much.

Buzzz/Comet combo for me, both in Z plastic. I like to keep my mids and putters very simple because I tend to carry like 5 drivers.

Another reason I like Buzz/Comet combo is they are different speeds, which some may cite as a negative. But I find I'm throwing Buzz with any kind of headwind and Comet with a tailwind. So having one faster and one slower is actually ideal.

I pretty much only throw my Buzz and Roc. I have a comet as well, but don't throw it as much, the rim just seems a little too wide for my liking. I think I'm going to try out one of Gateway's overstable mids and probably one of MVP's midranges.

The Comet and Buzzz covers pretty much 95% of my mid-range shots. I also have a Gateway Demon in my bag for the crazy overstable duties. It's similar to a Drone but I like how it feels in my hand better (has more of a driver profile).

I have been using a Z Buzzz and an ESP Wasp for awhile, however the Buzzz is more overstable than your average Buzzz, and the Wasp is a little beat in and flies almost exactly the same as the Buzzz.

I just got a Vector, so I plan on using the Buzzz and the Vector. I'm not sure what I'll use the Wasp for.

3 Buzzzes (Z=more stable/os, ESP=straight and Cryztal=slight turnover) and a Stingray for hyzer-flips and turnovers. I also have an old DX Viper that I feel is more of a mid-range. I'll use this when I need a good bit of fade at the end.

So for me it's:

Buzzz and Stingray........and a Viper.

this thread has turned in to a circle jerk for buzzz throwers

All disc discussions always turn into a roc/buzzz jerk-fest.. they seem to work for most people. I am still searching for a good midrange line up, I've tried both buzzz and roc., and may try them again in the future. I know the Drone has a place in the bag and the Comet.. I also have an Axis and Ibex that I throw.

To sprinkle some no-jerk dust..

I throw squalls. Have a drone for windy days.
Otherwise 2 squalls. Semi new n beat then I'm good to go

Fairway drivers=Leopard/Teebird/banshee...

not necessarily. It depends on your definition of fairway driver. If fairway driver = control driver than a PD or OLF and the like can definitely be considered a fairway driver.

I personally don't like the term "fairway driver", it is a leftover from golf, and it doesn't translate well into disc golf terms. higher number woods in golf are fairway drivers, specifically meant for the purpose of hitting the ball a good distance, but from the fairway. Fairway drivers in disc golf would actually be more comparable to midranges (depending on your play style).

but the difference in how the sports work don't really lend well to a transition of terms, i.e. nobody will drive with a putter from the tee in golf, but in disc golf sure.

we should invent some new terms:

Touch disc (speed 1ish)

putt, approach and short range driver. (around speed 2-3)

approach, Mid range drives (speed 3-6 depending on disc and stability)

Utility driver (speed 6-8)

control driver (speed 8-10 depending on the disc, I would consider a beast and similar discs to be more like a distance driver)

distance driver (speed 10-13)

this is a rough list i know. thaks for reading my rant :p

I like to bring four mids with me:

Overstable: ESP Buzzz (domey for no-wind, flat top if there is wind)
Straight: GL Core
Utility (holds any line): Ching Legacy
Understable: Elite-X Stratus

Handles nearly every shot in the book. If it is windy I may add a Zone or Drone to handle headwinds.

If I had to bring only two - It would be the Core & Legacy.