• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Ascent (New Driver)

No, a Cyclone has a ton of glide.

I agree with the lack of glide comments. I was really having to throw it hard and flex it out to get it in the 340'-350'. Granted, I'm used to smoothing my PD in that range, but I still think it could benefit from some more glide.

It could certainly be compared to a lower profile Sabre. I also agree that the answer is probably a bigger dome. I also think that the wing design could be tweaked to create some more glide. That rubber is a lot different than plastic.

I thought I mentioned that, but it was a Sabre in how you have to throw it. I think it flexes more than a Sabre, which will fly on the line you put it on into the ground.

I just got back from the course. I got to throw the Ascent (176g) quite a bit. While it was not the glidiest fairway driver, it wasn't too bad either. It definitely glided better than any of the putters I've thrown. I would compare it to a faster Stalker with less glide, resulting in about the same range. The stability of mine was very similar to the FR Stalkers I used to throw a lot. The main difference is that the Ascent was less forgiving to powered down throws, and faded harder when flying on a hyzer. It recovered from a turn a bit better than a Stalker and was better in the wind as well.

I commend Steve and Vibram on their effort so far...If I were to try and design a fwy driver I almost surely would start with a basic design like the Ascent. They need to find a way to increase the glide...Maybe get the dome up, maybe reduce the notch/concavity of the wing. Perhaps the material needs tweaking. I think it's a good start and quite close to being a very good disc.

I have been trying to throw the Ascent more and more, in turn I am liking it more and more. Thrown with a slight hyzer it flips up and stays pretty darn straight but discspeed is right, if you reduce your power it gets more overstable. I love how it just parks when it hits the ground though. Not much skip at all.

Testers, keep am eye on your mailboxes!

downloadfile-23.jpg

not sure why people are saying these are glideless...

i thought it was a lot like the older flat dx eagle x's (circa 1998-2003).

to get a lot of carry they need to get turned over and they need to have a lot of nose down.

when we were testing it for the flight chart i was debating between range 4.5 and range 5 but ended up going with 4.5 since dan had to lay on it something fierce to break 480' with it.

it penetrates better on a low line drive than a teebird or the current eagle x's. it needed at least 12-14' of height to hit the glide pocket (and ideally a bit higher).

rated it hss -0.5 lss +2.5. call it a teegle-x :p

Blake_T said:
not sure why people are saying these are glideless...

i thought it was a lot like the older flat dx eagle x's (circa 1998-2003).

to get a lot of carry they need to get turned over and they need to have a lot of nose down.

when we were testing it for the flight chart i was debating between range 4.5 and range 5 but ended up going with 4.5 since dan had to lay on it something fierce to break 480' with it.

it penetrates better on a low line drive than a teebird or the current eagle x's. it needed at least 12-14' of height to hit the glide pocket (and ideally a bit higher).

rated it hss -0.5 lss +2.5. call it a teegle-x :p
oooooohhh, this just makes me more anxious

I guess I'll have to go back out to the field and throw it some more. I suppose I've been throwing the understable stuff too long that I've forgot how to turn something over with power :D.