• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Fivefingers

He has the KSO's. Oddly enough, he is only 7. I wouldn't think that he would be able to wear out a pair of shoes that fast. Hopefully Vibram will replace them.

I've being wearing the KSO treks out and about for the last month or so, about 25-30 rounds in the time i've gotten them. They work awesome for walking around the flooded Cass Benton course here in Michigan. I get a lot of people commenting on them and how they see me just walk through everything and want a pair themselves. I picked mine up on sale for under $50, so it was well worth the investment to me. I also don't seem to get as tired wearing them either. They look goofy, but definitely do a good job.

I'm going on a tangent here, but I think it applies to VFF's.

In the past I have not been able to get past 2 or 3 weeks of running before my knees started to hurt. I ran cross country in high school and it did a number on my knees. Recently I switched my running style to a natural forefoot strike and have had zero knee problems. Anyway, switching to this running style (watch this http://naturalrunningcenter.com/2012/03/06/video-the-principles-natural-running/) and picking up a pair of Brooks Pure Connects has totally changed my outlook on running. It just makes sense. Going along with this idea of a natural stride, I picked up a pair of Merrell True Gloves for every day use and for the gym. They are probably the closest to VFF's as you can get. The absence of a thick heel pad requires you to be on the balls of your feet as you move.

Does anyone think there is a benefit in wearing low-drop or zero-drop shoes for disc golf? example: form improvement due to a more natural motion and being able to feel the ground beneath your feet.

This might have been answered in the previous pages. I'll admit I didn't take the time to read.

Sales lingo talks about a longer range of motion for the achilles heel with barefoot shoes vs those with tall heels. The lack of real arch support stretches the tendon in the bottom of the foot thus making you more susceptible for plantar fascitis. Ask me how i know from 3 mm thick sole of Vibram Komodo Sport on a ski jumping hill based home course.

I grew up on the coast and was always running around barefoot in the summer months. I developed some pretty tough feet. In college I would longboard to class (lots of hills on campus) and many times I would ride barefoot so I could feel the board under my feet. Taking all of this into consideration, I would like to think I have decently strong feet. So when I recently switched to a forefoot strike in running, the only part of my body that needs to adjust we're my calves - but part of the reason for that was because I had improper forefoot strike form for the first 2 weeks...the video I posted previously made all the difference in the world.

All that to say, I wonder if the issues you pointed out are more likely with a zero-drop shoe because most people don't have strong feet to begin with after years of wearing shoes that have arch support and ankle support. I've worn plenty of shoes (and still do) with support, but I would like to think my years of going barefoot have helped me transition to shoes like VFF's with no problems.

Biomechanically speaking, doesnt correct form for throwing involve being on the balls of your feet? Just thinking out loud and wondering if a shoe like this would help in disc golf, because that's exactly what it does with running.

I don't think FF style shoes would help with disc golf, since the torques on the lower leg and lateral movements are not really a 'natural' movement like running or walking is.

Love my biklia LS for lifting though.

My discing shows how i'm a fish on dry land so what do i know of running being a former competition swimmer? Without condition from injuries that forced me to not move for a long time shredding my strength. So i know little about running ergonomics. I've seen shoes for runners that force the heel up high with sole contact only on the ball of the foot. The competition runners i talked to said that it increases strength in other places than the calves as well but that's the focus and that they've improved records after using those shoes for a month or two. So calf strength can play a part.

Regarding low heel shoes and DG one does push with the left leg so there you may indeed have an advantage with a shoe without a heel. I haven't thrown enough with the Vibrams to say if i saw any immediate distance improvements. I didn't use them long due to the plantar fascitis.

My ankle surgery has the wounds so low that normal shoes would rub the wounds and the thread binding the sides together so the Komodosports are great for unimpeded walking without risk of opening up the wounds. A new and unexpected bonus :)

I tried on Spyridons today and was tempted. I own Komodosports that don't need replacement for wear ATM. I'll look at the Spyridons and whatever they'll release in the future when they wear. The Spyridon has around half an inch higher side of the sole material and the toes seem better protected. So these are the best VFFs for protection. And they won't get wet so easily in short grass. The tougher sole means that it is a little less flexible than the Komodosport. It comes down to the sole in this shoe. It is way different to earlier VFFs being so much more tackier and grippier from tread pattern both macro and micro. Yes there is a small pattern on the surface of the sole adding a lot more grip to the larger nubs. The surface feel of the ground to the foot is less compared to the 4 mm soled Komodosport. But the grip the griiip! There are two caveats to the great grip of the Spyridon. Planting flat footed may twist the ankle hard because the traction is stunning. Because the nubs aren't that deep the grip to the ground ain't too great going through thick grass etc. Depending on the ground you may have too much or too little traction.

I only wear these things for paddle boarding anymore. I have planter faciitis and these things are not good at all for that. On top of that, they look horrible so lake activities is all they see now.

PF both sides for two previous seasons and some feelings this season but i haven't been able to throw as much this year. I suggest looking at the training videos about getting used to minimalist shoes and proper running technique at www.vivobarefoot.com and other shoe manufacturer home sites. PF is more related to prolonged use of sneakers than minimalist shoes with a catch. That is you need to adjust technique and start off small with minimalist shoes because they do stress the body more at first. The thing about minimalist shoes and proper form is that you'll get more efficient running form that at least for me allows more speed for longer time. While developing the muscles and tendons that protect against PF and other injuries. I'm so on board the minimalist shoe trend because that is what my feet tell me. I create more power from the legs too. DG and running. Minimalist shoes are light so you'll get less fatigued by playing. If you are willing to switch from five fingers there are minimalist shoes that look like regular shoes so i'd look at Vibram, Merrel and Vivo and what have you web sites. Check out the Vivo Off Road mids. I bought 'em yesterday but have tendonitis trouble so throwing has to be limited. So DG experience follows later. Looks are fine for me YMMV but there are plenty of options. The sole on these is killer.

I just got back from my morning run and had to post something really quick. Since today is my low mileage day, I decided to run the last 2 miles completely barefoot and run in the grass rather than on the road. The first thing I noticed was my range of motion. It was like a whole new experience for my feet and ankles. It felt great. It felt like my form was more powerful. I am now chomping at the bit for my consulting check to get here as I want to go and get a new pair of barefoot shoes. Unfortunately, I know it won't be FF's as my feet are oddly shaped and only 3 of my 5 toes will actually slide into the compartments.

Do you get that trampoline like elasticity from having some tendon tightness in planting and striking mid foot having the heel touch the ground only softly? That trampoline type bounce forward in each step is an eye opener. Tendon bounce. The snap of running? The tendon bounce, elasticity, trampoline effect, whatever you call it is usable in disc golf run up and x step too. More power and balance thus consistency too.

BLURR said:
I just got back from my morning run and had to post something really quick. Since today is my low mileage day, I decided to run the last 2 miles completely barefoot and run in the grass rather than on the road. The first thing I noticed was my range of motion. It was like a whole new experience for my feet and ankles. It felt great. It felt like my form was more powerful. I am now chomping at the bit for my consulting check to get here as I want to go and get a new pair of barefoot shoes. Unfortunately, I know it won't be FF's as my feet are oddly shaped and only 3 of my 5 toes will actually slide into the compartments.

IMO: Get Vivobarefoots (mesh or the tops of your feet will get torn up), Merrel Pacegloves/trailgloves/roadgloves/whateverthey'reallprettyawesome, Inov-8 Bare-X series, or New Balance Minimus series

11276_338_zoom.jpg

Oww.

Meh. So they have a dud in their line up. Luckily they also have the great Off Road. I did not feel any problems with other models i tried either.

JR said:
Do you get that trampoline like elasticity from having some tendon tightness in planting and striking mid foot having the heel touch the ground only softly? That trampoline type bounce forward in each step is an eye opener. Tendon bounce. The snap of running? The tendon bounce, elasticity, trampoline effect, whatever you call it is usable in disc golf run up and x step too. More power and balance thus consistency too.

It was so bouncy that it felt like I was running on astroturf. Now I need to find a minimalist pair of dg shoes to go along with the running shoes.