• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Fivefingers

I run five miles a day in mine, and I am not skinny (6'1", 205lbs) by any stretch of the imagination and am having way less issues than I ever did running in traditional running shoes. All my stabilizer muscles are so much stronger now. My wife runs completely barefoot on the treadmill and has for over a year with no problem. I think it depends on your running gate and making sure that you have the right form.

So what I'm reading is, the moron thought he would go from soft cushy shoes to barefoot running in a week? Darwin award. Fracture well deserved. I think I'm going to go to the gym tonight and squat 350#, ya know... since I haven't done squats in nearly a decade. But it's cool...

i play with a guy who has the speed golf record at my local course that wears them. he runs to the course in them...20 miles. runs the course maybe five times and then runs home. he does ultramarathons a couple times a year. says he wouldnt be able to do it if it werent for five fingers.

then again hes been running forever and hes not a giant like olberman is. :\

I ran a 15 mile race in mine and got a stress fracture and that was after 2 months of training I was a little over zealous, I am all healed now and plan on doing a 50 mile ultra. Olberman is an idiot and is giving vff a bad name. And his doctor is clearly a moron.

really? he always seemed very astute with his progressive critiques and observations when i watched his show from time to time on msnbc.

I know a guy who uses them for Ultimate, but haven't seen anyone wear them on the courses around here though.

Hey guys,
I have 2 pairs. the KSO's for the gym (Because of smooth bottom) and KSO TrekSports for Discgolf. The latter work amazing, great grip on all terrains and extremely comfortable. Just my 2 cents!

OKNate said:
Hey guys,
I have 2 pairs. the KSO's for the gym (Because of smooth bottom) and KSO TrekSports for Discgolf. The latter work amazing, great grip on all terrains and extremely comfortable. Just my 2 cents!

Now that's dedication.

Lol yeah, I bought the KSO's first for the gym and they just felt great like I had nothing on my feet. the Treksports have a more all-terrain grip ont he bottom and got them just for walkin around, then tried then on the course and they work perfectly, and not afraid to get em wet if need be as that is what they are for. I can walk up a very steep grade hill straight up it and the toes grip it the whole way. The strap is only there because the original lines of Vibrams would fall off peoples feet in the water and they don't float. Strap was to fix that.

Folks with more or less than 5 toes may want to take a look at Merrell's Trail Glove... same concept (even has a virbram sole) but without the individual to holsters: http://www.rei.com/product/810573/merrell-trail-glove-cross-training-shoes-mens

The soles did not hold up in the long run for me so I returned them for another pair to REI. They were great for about 3 months and at that point the sole had worn almost completely through. I play a lot of golf, however. I would estimate I got a good 150ish rounds out of them. For someone who only plays a couple rounds per week they would hold up for a year at least. Of particular note, all of the wear was due to pivoting during my throw. Almost none of the wear was due to normal walking/running during rounds. I love mine and wear them for most rounds.

Thats good to hear. I do get in a lot of golf, and will much more once our 110 and up days end. I will be happy with 6 months of solid use, and if that doesn't end up being the case I may just alternate between VFFs and shoes on the course.

Played my first round today in them and they were great, my throwing was off, but Ill attribute that to not having played much lately with my wedding and the 117 degrees it was outside at the time.

For those that are "in the know" and have plenty of experience with FiveFingers, which version would be the best choice for general use (e.g. multitasking), from running to walking to playing DG (sometimes on rough terrain)? TIA.

I haven't used the other ones but have put on some of the earlier models and the safest bet and probably the longest life comes from the thicker soled Komodosports that also have the best protection against hitting.

Well...I have to call Vibram today. My son's brand new fivefingers started to come apart this past weekend...after only having them for 3 weeks. Really thought these were more durable than this.

I have probably run 300 miles in mine with no issues at all. What kind does he have Blurr? I have the Kamodo Sports and they seem really well made compared to the others. I was not real impressed with the KSO's I had.

Latest posts