• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wanting to push for a second course

attik34

Birdie Member
I'm mostly looking for some input as to how others have gone about doing something like this.

Basically here's the situation: Hannibal, Missouri. Nice little tourist town, has a college, bigger than it looks population wise. We currently have one course that is very nice, but very simple short and easy. Nothing against the course or anything, it just doesn't have a huge diversity of holes. The biggest thing it has going for it is a good flow, and the parks and rec dept keep the park in pristine condition, which is nice.

As I've gotten into the sport, I've been to multiple events and its very evident that the best tournaments take place across multiple courses. It makes the experience much more enjoyable, and much more exciting IMO. We have a few events each year, along with a growing DG community in the area. Along with that we have another HUGE park and a college with alot of area surrounding it.

My question is, where would you guys recommend starting to try and get a second course put in and add a little bit more of a draw towards the area for DG? How would you start the effort for funding the project? Who should I contact for trying to get a decent deal on baskets and such?

Any info would be appreciated!

attik34 said:
My question is, where would you guys recommend starting to try and get a second course put in and add a little bit more of a draw towards the area for DG? How would you start the effort for funding the project? Who should I contact for trying to get a decent deal on baskets and such?

First thing you need to do is contact the parks department and see who you can speak with about the current state of disc golf in your area. From there you need to see if they are pleased with such said state and then ask how they would feel about adding more disc golf. If things are good from there you can then suggest the area or park that you are thinking of. Keep in mind however many parks have master plans that could prevent disc golf from being developed in such said areas of interest.

Mostly it is about building a repertoire with the parks department. Sometimes they will listen to individuals, other times they are more prone to listen to a group of people, such as a disc golf club. In any case, it's about building a positive relationship. You always want to be kind, considerate AND THANKFUL towards the park department. It never hurt's to let them know that they are doing a good job(Mention the fact that they do such a great job on the current course now for example). :thmbup: You want more disc golf so being overly nice is never a bad idea. In other words: kissing butt when it comes to having more disc golf never hurts.

Anywho, from there you can worry about baskets, funding and such. Priority #1 is seeing if additional disc golf is even feasible. If your lucky, the parks department might supply all the materials needed to make another course happen. It is quite possible however, and this is the serious part,you will need to provide proposals, statistics, demographical information and costs on such future additional disc golf. You will need to persuade and convince the park's department that more disc golf is beneficial to all involved. And for that you really need to know what you're talking about. How many tournies, how many players, how much use, cost of materials, ROI, etc, etc.

Good luck. I hope that it goes well for you.:hfive:

Find a good local designer in your area. There is a big probability that he has vast experience with proposals, logistics, and asking and answering the right questions in regards to the "Disc golf club VS Parks and Rec Department" relationship.

Also, introduce your club, what you're about, what you offer, and how you are here to help should the Parks Department need any help or information. Then throw out some ideas you've been considering for new and improved development and see what they think.

Think beyond the local parks. If land isn't covered by crops, water, or buildings, it could be a disc golf course.

Is there a golf course that needs more revenue? Are there any farmers with some acres that are too hilly or wooded to plant? Are there state, county, or national parks nearby?

As far as proposing a "second" local (?) course, I found it extremely powerful to show that the existing course is saturated in its usage. If you have 10-15 minute delays on each tee, course is over saturated. We (when I lived in No. VA) actually installed a "sign-in box" (asking only the # of players in the group and their ZIP code) at Burke Lake Park. With 2 years of hard data showing more than 25,000 players each year (only about half bothered to sign-in, so the #s were actually approaching 50,000/yr). When the opportunity for a new nearby course (Giles Run) arose, the Parks people needed little additional convincing, but we still needed to work the local political system to get buy-in.

We got our first course in Clayton, GA a little over 2 months ago. I'm going before the County Council to add a new course latest this month. It's never to early to propose expansion.

Being youre in a tourist area, information on Disc Golf tourism is an important statistic to use. Clayton GA is in the tourist community in extreme NE GA. Showing Disc Golf attracts tourism may help. When I travel to Minnesota each year to visit my parents, I only stop in communities that have courses...my family and I will end up spending the night and at least one meal at a local restaurant. That kind of information can make you eligible for Atax money.

I just finished playing Huck Park a few minutes ago. It is a fun course for as small an area they utilize. (although there are powerlines down on hole 16 due to our big storm last week, be careful!)

I've only been at this for a few weeks, but I don't see any preassure out there on the course. I've only seen one or two groups out there whenever we are there. However, this area is tourist and Mark Twain crazy! I would think you could sell it to the tourism council easier than anyone.