• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Wasp throwers

Wasp/Comet like higher floaty lines similarly to a putter, whereas Buzzz/Meteor like to be thrown lower and harder, similar to a driver.

I don't throw my WASP on floaty lines. That is why I didn't understand. Thanks.

But I don't think you can get a Wasp as flippy as a Comet

You can but it takes a looong time. Keep an eye on used bins. I've had 3 but I've only beaten one to that point personally but even it was already beaten to fairly neutral when I got it. The first one was recommended to me by a friend who had traded it in at one of the local shops a couple weeks prior. The second was the one I beat in and the third was found in a local Discraft pro's bins when he was running a local league night. Ironically, all three were lost in the same pond at Lincoln Ridge over the years... and the second was actually lost in a stream prior to that but had gotten it back a month later only to have it for a short time before once again nosing up that damn pond shot:doh:

Wasps are Buzzzes with a bead. It's why the Buzzz exists. The bead doesn't suddenly add glide. I'm baffled by some of these comments. Wasps are large diameter beaded mids, but they rely on speed for distance whereas Rocs rely on glide. It's a TeeBird3 compared to a TeeBird. They're similar, but I don't think Rocs and Wasps are the best comparisons. I feel like a premium Comet is closer to a baseline Roc than a Wasp.

...they rely on speed for distance whereas Rocs rely on glide. It's a TeeBird3 compared to a TeeBird.

Never thought about it like that, but you're not wrong about Rocs. It doesn't really matter how hard or fast I throw a Roc; as long as I give it enough air to work with they'll just keep floating forward. If the Teebird/Teebird3 comparison is accurate, I'm very excited to get into throwing Wasps.

Wasps are Buzzzes with a bead. It's why the Buzzz exists. The bead doesn't suddenly add glide. I'm baffled by some of these comments. Wasps are large diameter beaded mids, but they rely on speed for distance whereas Rocs rely on glide. It's a TeeBird3 compared to a TeeBird. They're similar, but I don't think Rocs and Wasps are the best comparisons. I feel like a premium Comet is closer to a baseline Roc than a Wasp.

Rocs and Wasps are the same mold made by 2 different companies. Discraft molded the Wasp from copying the Roc and then took the bead off and called it a Buzzz.

The only difference is the plastic -- Z-Wasps are over-stable. Get a wasp in non-Z . . . .Roc.

Rocs and Wasps are the same mold made by 2 different companies. Discraft molded the Wasp from copying the Roc and then took the bead off and called it a Buzzz.

The only difference is the plastic -- Z-Wasps are over-stable. Get a wasp in non-Z . . . .Roc.

Disagree. Threw wasps for almost five years and have been throwing Rocs for the last six. Throw a Wasp and a Roc with poor form. Wasp with fight out of the OAT. The Roc won't. Not the same mold. A copy doesn't mean a clone. Hell, the Ghost looks more like a Roc in profile than a Wasp. Actually, a Comet looks more like a Roc.

Would love to know the source for your claim though. Don't go Casey on us and start acting like your opinion is fact.

Disagree.

Would love to know the source for your claim though. Don't go Casey on us and start acting like your opinion is fact.

Thank you. That saved me lots of typing.

...And I agree that a Comet is closer to A Roc than the Wasp is. The Comet flys better than a Roc... and feels better in the hand... but closer.

Last edited:
Disagree. Threw wasps for almost five years and have been throwing Rocs for the last six. Throw a Wasp and a Roc with poor form. Wasp with fight out of the OAT. The Roc won't. Not the same mold. A copy doesn't mean a clone. Hell, the Ghost looks more like a Roc in profile than a Wasp. Actually, a Comet looks more like a Roc.

My mistake. Thought that Discraft copied the roc when Innova's patent ran-out and it was just common knowledge. No worries. Disregard.

Pre-Wasp I remember/threw the MRX and MRV, still have some MRV's -- have to break them out again. Not as much fun as a DX stingray . . .. but pert near.

Got a brother in Reading, a brother-in-law in Blue Ash. Not relevant -- just saying.

Carry-on without me.

Last edited:
I only have a few Wasps, and I put a new 173-174g Z Wasp in the bag yesterday. I love it for my "overstable Buzzz" slot, though it behaves differently. It definitely has more HSS and I don't flip it right out of the hand like I can even my more OS Buzzzes. The glide is also really impressive, and it has a relatively straight finish, maybe even straighter than my Buzzzes.

One classic example was that I out-threw my Star Teebird at least once. I remember doing the same thing with the Teebird previously, i.e. out-throwing speed 9 to 11 drivers. Now I can out-throw that same Teebird with my speed 5 Wasp. That glide is impressive.

I'm still figuring out how to use it, and the biggest hitch is the difference in grip between the Wasp bead and the beadless Buzzz. But hey, I can see the reason for the Wasp love. Handling some OAT, as someone mentioned a few posts ago, is a big plus.

This is my blue beauty. Not a great pic. My others are LE Wasps (a Glow Z FLX and a 2015 ESP). The Glow Z FLX has the glide and some of that Wasp magic, but my impression of the ESP is that it lacks the Wasp magic glide. I'll have to bring them out again.
attachment.php

I agree that the Wasp does have good glide, the rating of 3 that Discraft assigns it is misleading. It's fun throw in a cross/ cross tail wind and just watch the glide kick in. They also carry well when released high and with some anny.

Looks weirdly domey? Like really high shoulder (for a wasp) and flat top. That's how I like my comets though

It's not the best picture, for sure. It's my only Z Wasp so I don't really now what to compare it to. It's "pre-flight numbers," or at least it's old-school single Discraft flight number. Not domey, I'd say, but yes the shoulder is a bit high. But if all Wasps fly like this one, sign me up for more.

Latest posts