• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Wasp throwers

Pretty much the same imo as a stock z.

I picked one up from them (beautiful pink with pink, silver, purple stamp), and it has a bit of dome to it. It flies similarly to my flat Z, but feels better in the hand. The plastic is definitely softer and grippier which is very helpful at this time of the year.

Word, had to read back a few pages. Gonna pass for meow.

Love big z plastic, mainly for the grip

Attachments

• 4AE3A622-DFA9-4CC4-858F-53B135810540.jpg
    4AE3A622-DFA9-4CC4-858F-53B135810540.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 51
DX Rocs are the best baseline Wasp and Z Wasps are the best premium plastic Roc.

I go through phases where I get tired of DX and KC Rocs and really want a premium plastic mid that flies like a Roc. I have Champ Rocs but they are the domiest mids I've ever felt and really aren't worth the USDGC price point, IMO. I've been putting off trying a Z Wasp for a while since it's not a Roc but it's probably time to get off my high horse.

I go through phases where I get tired of DX and KC Rocs and really want a premium plastic mid that flies like a Roc. I have Champ Rocs but they are the domiest mids I've ever felt and really aren't worth the USDGC price point, IMO. I've been putting off trying a Z Wasp for a while since it's not a Roc but it's probably time to get off my high horse.

$14 from either Marshall Street or Disc Golf Center and you'll be set.

Z Wasp will change your life. Seasons wayyyyyyy slower, and is just way more reliable. They're also much more comfortable in the hand. Find a flat top Wasp and you'll never go back.

It's definitely worth trying out at least. Rocs are best in plastic that you can season (KC, DX) but premium rocs leave a lot to be desired. Wasps were originally intended to be premium plastic, and Z plastic is about as close to indestructible as it gets in disc golf. So you get a really nice flight that won't change for a really long time. And once it does start to season, it is more like a DX Roc where it will lose more fade first. This is the promised land

As for the comfort thing, I also throw comets which a lot of buzzz/wasp throwers don't like. The flat top is great but isn't more comfortable as some perceive.

It's definitely worth trying out at least. Rocs are best in plastic that you can season (KC, DX) but premium rocs leave a lot to be desired. Wasps were originally intended to be premium plastic, and Z plastic is about as close to indestructible as it gets in disc golf. So you get a really nice flight that won't change for a really long time. And once it does start to season, it is more like a DX Roc where it will lose more fade first. This is the promised land

As for the comfort thing, I also throw comets which a lot of buzzz/wasp throwers don't like. The flat top is great but isn't more comfortable as some perceive.

Even KC and DX Rocs now are starting to have more "plus-y" rims which make them almost impossible to grip comfortably. The weather is finally starting to cooperate and the last time I was in the field shaking off the rust, I couldn't throw any of my newer Rocs to save my life. Not sure what's going on, but Innova is making it very difficult to throw Rocs anymore.

I started looking at Wasps and the Comet came to mind if I went all premium plastic for mids. I knew the Wasp was supposed to be the premium Roc but I've also seen folks say that the best understable Roc is a Comet. Not sure how much truth there is to that but both discs are on my radar right now.

Even KC and DX Rocs now are starting to have more "plus-y" rims which make them almost impossible to grip comfortably. The weather is finally starting to cooperate and the last time I was in the field shaking off the rust, I couldn't throw any of my newer Rocs to save my life. Not sure what's going on, but Innova is making it very difficult to throw Rocs anymore.

I started looking at Wasps and the Comet came to mind if I went all premium plastic for mids. I knew the Wasp was supposed to be the premium Roc but I've also seen folks say that the best understable Roc is a Comet. Not sure how much truth there is to that but both discs are on my radar right now.
I'm going to echo the suggestion that you get a Z Wasp. This seems like the most likely solution to your issue.

I think kevdiv does this Z Wasp, Dx Rocs and a Comet

Indeed I do. I normally carry a Z Wasp, a 3-4 DX Ranchos and 1-2 Z Comets. There's a lot of overlap but they're all great molds and wouldn't want to do without.

Could get by with all Rocs if I had fresh/heavy down to beat/light. Or just 2 out of the 3 molds. But I don't think you can get a Wasp as flippy as a Comet or a Comet as beefy as a Wasp if you wanted to go with just one of those molds.

Indeed I do. I normally carry a Z Wasp, a 3-4 DX Ranchos and 1-2 Z Comets. There's a lot of overlap but they're all great molds and wouldn't want to do without.

Could get by with all Rocs if I had fresh/heavy down to beat/light. Or just 2 out of the 3 molds. But I don't think you can get a Wasp as flippy as a Comet or a Comet as beefy as a Wasp if you wanted to go with just one of those molds.

[This might be the wrong thread, but since you mentioned both...] How would you say the Roc feels in comparison to a Comet? I'm almost certain that the Wasp is going to be my workhorse, but for touchy shots or turnovers there's no way I can get a Wasp to that point unless I'm able to find them in Jawbreaker or the like.

[This might be the wrong thread, but since you mentioned both...] How would you say the Roc feels in comparison to a Comet? I'm almost certain that the Wasp is going to be my workhorse, but for touchy shots or turnovers there's no way I can get a Wasp to that point unless I'm able to find them in Jawbreaker or the like.

ESP Meteor is an excellent compliment to Z WASPS. It doesn't feel the same because of no bead but still feels great and grippy.

But doesn't fly the same lines.

Wasp/Comet

Or

Buzzz/Meteor

You feel like the flight of a wasp is closer to a more-stable comet than a more-stable buzzz? I feel like Wasp/Roc3/Buzzz/Meteor are all solidly speed 5, while the Comet and Rancho Roc are solidly speed 4.

Wasp flies more like a 4 speed to me. I can power it down much slower than I can a Buzzz or a Meteor but it has enough stability I don't have to worry about it turning over on a full power drive.

The Wasp feels half a tick faster than a Comet but a full tick slower than a Buzzz... what ever those numbers come out to be.

All above discs are assumed to be Z as that is all Wasps have in production runs.

Last edited:

Latest posts