• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside KING

Raising this thread from the dead!

Got a used (maybe thrown one round) 171 VIP king yesterday. I have a bit of a noodle arm, but hit 300' with a teebird on a good day. Today was a wet and windy day, it rained all day yesterday. I took the king for a test round and WOW! It goes very flat with a great predictable finish out to about 330' for me. This is the first faster speed disc that has flown like that for me. I have tried orcs, destroyers, archons, and Valkyries to start pushing a little more distance, and none of them have felt nearly as good as the king. That extra 30 feet or so is the difference between upshot and par, or parked and birdie on a couple holes at my local course for me.

I am very impressed with this disc. It feels great to hold and throw, and just did exactly what I hoped it would today. I think this might be the disc that I can learn how to really push my distance out with.

Just ordered a white 173g vip King. I'm hoping to find stable kings so I will try moonshine next if this doesn't do the trick.

If I can't get stable kings consistently I may give up the 15' and just use max weight moonshine trespasses which have been consistent.

I found a 156g VIP King several months back. It's the farthest flying disc I have by far. However, I am not always accurate with it - not sure if it's the weight or the fact that it is such a fast disc. I really like it though, but I don't tend to use it if there are too many trees and/or mandies in the way.

The early ones were much flippier. I have a Red 174 that is the longest roller disc I have thrown. I have to release it hyzer or flat depending on the roller line I want. It is not as controllable as some roller discs I have thrown were I can release them on the angle I want them to land on.

I carry one newer king for big hyzerflips and tailwinds. Its probably more like a -2 turn. I throw it 425-460 (yes actually, I do have one of the larger arms in my area). I also throw my worlds the same distance. The King will go further, but less predictably.

The newer kings seem less stable than what I was getting off shelves last year.

My new 173g white vip needs hyzer at 400' of power or it will drift right and won't come back. Very little fade.

I might be done with kings but I'm not sure what to do for that extra distance now. The max distance driver quest was seriously the most expensive/annoying part of building my bag. I'm really bummed I can't find good vip kings anymore.

i can't speak to older run kings, but the one I just got (171 ViP) is definitely less stable than my 170 star destroyer. I personally like that as I am throwing about 330 consistently. The king stays straighter than the destroyer and fades more predictably. Most of that is likely due to form issues though, my good friend throws about 400 on a good day, and he bombs my destroyer just as far as th King, and about as accurate.

I am thinking a lighter World would cover my king slot just fine, except for my roller king.

The newer kings seem less stable than what I was getting off shelves last year.

My new 173g white vip needs hyzer at 400' of power or it will drift right and won't come back. Very little fade.
Do you mean TP or VIP?

I have found very new TP Kings that wont turn a bit at 375'. I just look for the domey/stiff/high plh. VIPs should be even more stable.

I just picked up a new 172 VIP King and it has a higher PLH and is more stable then my last King. This new King bombs and the extra stability really helps me control this disc. I also picked up a new World and it is also more stable then my past couple worlds.

Do you mean TP or VIP?

I have found very new TP Kings that wont turn a bit at 375'. I just look for the domey/stiff/high plh. VIPs should be even more stable.

VIP. Meased the PLH against my domey VIPs from last year, and it is lower. Throws less stable. It's not a bolt or a vulcan or something, but its not my VIP kings from last year either. The hss is workable but it needed some fade.

Elasto King what are you talking about?

The mere talk of the Westside King makes me want to pull a few of my kings out for play.

Currently, I have two blank top pearly whites that should be photographed and hung on a wall.

But I would rather see their glistening beauty high in the air ripping some big d lines.