• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is Good Form??

Anyone that does not understand the importance of spin and how it is generated will eventually learn from their ignorance.

Hahaha.

I don't know of any way to throw hard AND add more spin than a typical hard throw (by you, with your form) would usually generate.

The ratio of spin and speed may be influenced by different throwing forms but mostly it comes down to the degree of POWER you exert. Power is just a question of how hard you throw. Power = arm speed + snap. Nothing more.

Really who cares about spin/speed? When does it matter? Tell me the shot over 300 feet where you worry about how much the disc spins?

Sure you care whether a shot is too short or too long but that is a question of Power (how hard you throw it).

Spoke the Raven: Nothing more.
The "Power = arm speed + snap" is probably way oversimplified, but I agree with the rest. Worrying about speed and spin won't help. Telling someone to throw with more spin is like telling them to just throw it better next time. It's not useful advice. Instead, focusing on things you can directly control, mostly your body movements, is a much better way to look at it. If your body movements and timing are correct, the speed and spin will be right.

I can throw with different amounts of spin... I didnt realize this was difficult for most people. Now im curious, explainto me why you have trouble throwing with varied amounts of spin across different power levels.

Blake T. said:
At the hit some people wonder which you should try to get - more speed or more spin. Ken Climo advises that you should try to get more speed. Mr. Climo wrote, "Try to get more speed off the hand instead of worrying about spin. Use your legs, hips, back, and shoulders to create max speed, and the spin will take care of itself. If you get more speed on the disc you will get more spin."
Blake T. said:
Grip plays a very large role in dictating the amounts of snap force and spin you can put on the disc. Grip strength and rip force of the disc leaving the hand are the most important focal points of the grip after the base fundamentals.
Blake T. said:
Grip strength is the amount of force applied into the pressure points. The greater the grip strength you can achieve, the greater the potential rip force and spin you can generate on the disc.
I'm with Blake T. and Climo on this one.

Spin is definitely important, no doubt about that, but apart from some special circumstances spin doesn't really require a special technique when throwing hard, since the majority of both speed and spin come from the pivot of the disc. Getting more force into the disc by means of a better pivot gives you both more disc speed and more spin.

So yeah, I wasn't trying to imply that spin is in anyway unimportant, but that good throwing mechanics that lead to more force imparted on the disc (more speed) have a tendency to lead to more spin.

If you get more speed the disc will get more spin at the snap. It might not be the maximum, but it is easier to improve your speed than your snap I would think. Do not quote me on that...

When I mentioned arm speed vs. spin, I wasn't speaking solely of backhand. Forehands, it's a lot more common to have lots of power and arm speed, but not enough spin. Also on tomahawks. And push putts (although I'm not really sure what makes a push putt good).

It's not only creating spin that is a problem, though. We've all seen someone throw a katana with a load of OAT and watch it hyzer through the whole throw, right?

Adendum:
I also believe that body positions and motions are the better way to achieve good form. But there are people on here like me that have no way to check their body positions, and for me I just have to rely on whether the disc is flying well or not. Then try out some other random **** to see if it flies better.

Sorry for the ramblingness.

@widdershins- You're not going to find good form on a forum. Only tips that have helped/hurt others. Find a local pro and ask them what your doing wrong.

@widdershins- You're not going to find good form on a forum. Only tips that have helped/hurt others. Find a local pro and ask them what your doing wrong.

the only way you'll find good form on a forum is if you take out the u. :thmbup:

The best thing I did was to just play with better players all the time. You see what they do and how they approach shots. You actually see lines you wouldn't believe were possible. You will get 3 or 4 solid throwing styles to watch on a regular basis and you can kind of just model your form from there. They will guide you along the way.

Haha. THAT is a funny line.

Unfortunately you just told Blake T he wasted a few thousand hours of his life in setting up a website and related instruction to teach good form.

As for me, why would you assume I am doing something wrong?

Latest posts