• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the relationship between Discmania and Innova?

Innova provides R&D, molds discs, & builds baskets for DiscMania. It is sacrilege that the GM has "appropriated" the classic Gremlin artwork.

I think they were originally going to be Innova Europe but now sell everywhere.

You may be right. Same exact mold, but the bassackward way the PDGA does approvals is that each disc name needs approval. So I could use an approved Aviar mold & market the resultant discs it a "Dog", a "Cat", a "Mouse", and a "Sheep", but I would have to submit for approval 4 more times. If, however, I wanted to market something I molded out of the hubcap of a '72 El Camino as an "Aviar", it'd be OK.

I think I heard it on DGR that Discmania gremlins are like Innova's but not PDGA approved

Three Putt said something in a thread here the other day to the effect that GM's are not PDGA approved, like my Gateway Warriors. I don't remember which thread, but I know I read it.

I was at DTWorld the other day and they had a disc that was marked as "PD" on the back in the X Out bin for 8 bucks. I am pretty familiar with all the pen markings Innova uses but I had never seen this one.

The girl went in the back and looked it up, and came back and informed me that it was a Discmania Pro Driver (PD). She said that Innova Manufactures discs for Discmania. I was a little surprised. I also would have got it to try if it didn't have a stability rating of +4. After all, I already have an XCAL and a Boss.

So that means VeganRay can't use his GM discs legally, there goes his game

I use no DiscMania GMs (too domey & slick) only DX, STAR, & ProLine Innova Gremlins, which are approved. Looks like I was using unapproved discs for several years, though, as this document says they didn't receive approval until 6/5/2007.

I will have to contact the PDGA to forfeit all of my wins from 2003-2007 and scrape up the prize $$ to return to the TDs of the events in which I "cheated". Dammit!:doh:

I use no DiscMania GMs (too domey & slick) only DX, STAR, & ProLine Innova Gremlins, which are approved. Looks like I was using unapproved discs for several years, though, as this document says they didn't receive approval until 6/5/2007.

I will have to contact the PDGA to forfeit all of my wins from 2003-2007 and scrape up the prize $$ to return to the TDs of the events in which I "cheated". Dammit!:doh:

I think you can probably handle returning the $0.17

From Dave:

The Gremlin has been approved for quite a while. Discmania has two names for their discs. One is a basic designation for what the disc does, and the other is the regular name. The designation for the Gremlin is GM, which stands for Greater Midrange, but the name is still Gremlin. The PD, for example is designated a power driver, but it's name is Freak.