• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is this disc worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you wanna trade that atlscott?

Just did. Traded it and a new 11x firechicken for a new ministar night shift destroyer. I'm glad to get the destroyer but sad to see the ring of rocs go... I have other flat tops if you're interested though! Here is another of my favorites. :D

disc_golf_monkey_small.jpg

Last edited:
Is this what he says it is?

http://item.ebay.com/330458656358

:::::Here is some research:::::::

blake_t:
generally, i compare discs to how they were upon release.

the teebird was designed for/first produced in early 1999 in DX plastic, and the DX version really hasn't changed much over time in its flight, even with variations in plastic blends. these were followed up first by the 9x KC teebird and the 10x teebirds which remained consistent through about april of 2002 when the blend was changed and made more durable but noticeably more overstable than the 9x and early 10x's. the last run of 10x's (july-ish of 2002) were of the blend that became the much heralded opaque 11X teebird, which were dead stable at high speeds when thrown flat for people with up to about 450' power.

to complicate the matter, there is also the TL. The special edition teebird was an experiment released in mid-late summer of 1999 as a modified teebird produced in millennium (~polaris ls 1.6-1.7 era) plastic and quickly became a favorite driver of many pros. the special edition teebird stayed in regular production until around july 2001. there were only 2 runs produced before it was officially discontinued in summer 2002, with the last run being a noticeably stiffer and more overstable blend of plastic. upon the release of the champion edition plastic in the fall of 2000, they ran the first 4 runs of teebirds as TL's. these happened to be the most consistent disc run by run and had very little difference in flight (with the 3rd run being slightly more overstable and 4th run being slightly more understable but also the longest flying) whereas discs like the valk and firebird had a ton of variance. the TL was dropped from the CE line in late spring 2002 and consequently, runs 5-12 were all the T mold (and varied greatly from run to run from 5-8, but 9-12 were pretty consistent and more closely resembled run #5).

the CE line was discontinued in 2003 and replaced with the "Pro Line" name and the blends that resemble the current KC Cheetah and Gazelle and this was the era of the multi-color opaque 11X T's.

upon the switch from the "Pro Line" to the "Champion" series in late 2003/early 2004, resulted in the current version of the champion teebird.

i wouldn't really call the fact that i don't like the current champion teebirds really a complaint, but i would say that they are a more overstable teebird rather than referring to other teebirds as understable ones.

now that they have stabilized a couple of blends with a good yield, i'm guessing the current champ teebird will probably be more consistent over the next year or so. i guess the only thing to decipher now is if they will be transparent and stiff or pearlescent and gummy (as were the first run of teebirds in the champion series).

i was gonna say car too, but then i thought, what would be better than a car? 18 baskets FTW

*get some brownie points and somehow have your wife read that you'd buy a car for her before a disc ;)*

Yea, I go with the 18 baskets also! Heck you can always get a car on credit!

As far as that disc though, sounds FFFFFFischy.

Threeputt needs to chime in on this one.

How about this one? this is the only one I've ever seen in real life.

DSCI0263-1.jpg
I don't have one, but I knew several people who did. From what I recall it is a 150 class Aviar. I've been told Innova stamped the Aviars to be sold in Japan like that, and I've also been told Innova had a goofy toy basket that they sold in the late 80's/early 90's and the Mirage was the disc that came with the toy basket. I don't know if either, both or neither story is true.

Does it have a bead on it? I don't remember if it was the old beadless Avair or if it came out after they added the bead.

At any rate, I would think people who were trying to collect all the old Innova stamps would go $20 for a Mirage.

Here's something Dave D said on the PDGA forum about the mirage:

"we did make both weighted and non weighted. Non weighted weighed about 105gms, which we referred to as premium. We also made a softer version called the Mirage. A 119gm is unusual but we made a few now and then in transition from heavy to light or vice versa. "

Yea, I go with the 18 baskets also! Heck you can always get a car on credit!

As far as that disc though, sounds FFFFFFischy.

Threeputt needs to chime in on this one.
I don't know Ted Barber, but he listed Mark Molnar and Sam Ferrans at the bottom of the listing. If Mark Molnar and Sam Ferrans would pop up and say this is on the up and up, it's on the up and up. So I don't know. I was always led to believe that the proto star Gazelles were the first CE discs, but I wasn't there.

As I read his story, it was a run of 60 tester discs. With that short of a run, it's possible that they slipped under the radar. If it is true, most of those discs would be long gone by now.

It might also come down to what you consider CE. If you buy that Innova did this tester run of 60 discs, why would you not believe that there were other short "tester" runs as Innova moved toward what became CE. If you believe that, then which one really is the "first CE?"

Some dude who used to live in NC came onto DGR a couple of years ago trying to sell a disc that looked just like that bar stamped ce teebird for like $800. He said he got it from innova east back in the day and had a whole bunch of other rare discs that he had collected from the warehouse over the years. He actually set up a site to try and sell his discs but I don't remember the url but everything was rare and everything was priced really high. Hard to say if he overpriced stuff b/c he had a bunch of discs that had only been run in crazy small test runs. Anyone remember that dude or his site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts