• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] What molds do u like in Gstar?

chowee21

Par Member
What molds do u like in Gstar and why?

I am thinking of getting an overstable mid or putter in Gstar. Or a gator... I dunno.

I think gstar's strength is that you can get that broken in flight, most of the discs I've thrown in that plastic are quite a bit more understable.

The grip is good in the cold too, but it's a non-issue here in TX.

Pd. Gpd are God's gift to pd. Cpd, gpd, ppd. Done.

Or sub in an s for the c and eventually phase out the g once you acquire beat s stacks.

And tb and bb aviar drivers. Roc3 was okay.

My fav is the Tern. It sits right between the champ and star. One of the few cases when the g* is actually more stable in terms of HSS than the Star. Surprisingly the g* Tern has become one of my longest sidearm discs. When I hit it right and it turns over it just goes and goes and goes. It flies better than the Champ for that shot for some reason. I think because it's flatter than the Champ.
Also the g-line FD for gliding through the woods like no tomorrow. I like the g* Destroyer but I don't quite have the arm for it. Can't wait to try a g-line PD.

All of them. Gstar is the awesome. The only mold I like better in a different plastic is the aviar p&a, which I love in the new xt plastic.

I still have some blizzard drivers for tailwind or take it easy on the shoulder days, but once gstarlite goes into full production I should be able to gradually phase those out too

Also, I wish they would hurry up and release the panther in gstar. I've gotten so used to the gstar grip that my champ panther doesn't feel quite right anymore so I've been using it less.

Also, I wish they would hurry up and release the panther in gstar. I've gotten so used to the gstar grip that my champ panther doesn't feel quite right anymore so I've been using it less.

:clap: my God man you are a genius. This is something that never crossed my mind. I'd give my left testicle for as gstar panther now that I think about it.

G Star Teebirds are rock solid, less stable than other premium plastic 'birds and comparable glide and distance to DX.
Wraiths and Destroyers start out in the slightly understable sweet spot but tend to beat in quickly for premium plastic.

Any mold I throw. Gstar is a great blend. Really love pairing a gstar Firebird with my FAF

Love Gstar, and find I'm using it for two different reasons other than superior grip. First, liking it for overstable shots when you want to stick the landing and not skip- so I bag a Gstar Gator and Firebird, and second, discs you want to beat in to lose some LSS- so I also bag a Gstar Teebird and PD (paired with a Champion Teebird and CPD/PPDs).

Of course the conundrum is how to keep the overstable discs from beating in.

teebird
tl 3
firebird

I like the grip and gummy discs are better for my forehand throws

How do the g-star blends hold up in terms of durability? I throw all star plastic right now, but have been contemplating trying a few g-star runs since everyone talks about how awesome they are right out of the box.

I like all the ones I have tried so far, but the Tern and Teebird are my two favorites.

Mine have been durable.

Teebird started out straight with some fade on the end, the fade is taming down now. Still doesn't get any turn. Not much visible damage to be seen.

Tern started very similar to my JL Tern (minor turn, decent fade), but changed quickly. Now she gets a good flip, glides for days and still fades out when slowing down, but not an abrupt type of fade. I love it, she bombs. Again, no real damage to it.

I've thrown the TB since they came out and the Tern since the end of summer. Minimum one round per week, usually more like 4-5 until daylight fades. I regularly play tight wooded and rocky courses, from a durability standpoint.

I came here to echo what has been said about a few of the molds. Before that though; G*Star is durable (no nicks or gouges) but it definitely changes it's flight characteristics quicker than Champ or Star. For me, I prefer my G*Star molds in the faster plastic.

First G*Star I threw was the TeeBird. It is a great disc. The glide of DX, slight "Sweet Spot" worn in flight, with a healthy fade. As it seasoned, it's become less HSS. I bag one, but hardly throw it. I think it's mostly the courses I play.

BUT, I think the best molds to get in G*Star is PD, Starfire, and Destroyer. Each mold benefits from G*Star's ability to Glide really well, and to have that "Seasoned" flight.

I have a Rhyno, Firebird, Roc3, and a few other molds in G*Star. Most of those didn't mesh with me, mainly because their counterparts were superior for me. Good luck. G*Star is good stuff, especially for these cold months.

I'm thinking about trying some g*star drivers like a TeeBird, Katana and Destroyer and see how they do. I'm passed that "hit every tree newb" phase, but I'm still known to whack a good one from time to time.